Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Pronounsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
Hi Experts, MartyTargetTestPrep, AndrewN

In option D, the verb "did" is used as the past tense of the verb "appear", which is used earlier in the sentence. Thus the option becomes "they appear to us as they appeared in the formation of the universe." The only error I can spot in this sentence is the preposition "in" instead of "during".

How can we interpret the "to us" part after the second verb "did" (appeared). As per the explanations above in this post, option D is incorrect because "the way Quasers appear to us now is the same as they appeared to us when the Universe was formed. But, when the Universe was formed, we did not exist."

Thank You

The most logical understanding of "did" is "appeared to us," because the present action referenced is not just "appear" but "appear to us."

After all, if "to us" were not integral to the present action, then it wouldn't have to be mentioned at all. The sentence could say simply, "they appear as they did."

So, the explanation you mentioned, "the way Quasers appear to us now is the same as they appeared to us when the Universe was formed. But, when the Universe was formed, we did not exist," makes sense.

That said, that issue is somewhat subtle, so in a question with no better choice, that issue might not be enough to knock the (D) version out of contention. So, the misuse of "in" really helps to make choice (D) rather clearly wrong and knock it out of contention.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
aikido_fudoshin wrote:
Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.

(A) we see them as they were during

(B) we see them as they had been during

(C) we see them as if during

(D) they appear to us as they did in

(E) they appear to us as though in

In this OG question how to eliminate option C? AndrewN

KittyDoodles wrote:
Hi Experts, MartyTargetTestPrep, AndrewN

In option D, the verb "did" is used as the past tense of the verb "appear", which is used earlier in the sentence. Thus the option becomes "they appear to us as they appeared in the formation of the universe." The only error I can spot in this sentence is the preposition "in" instead of "during".

How can we interpret the "to us" part after the second verb "did" (appeared). As per the explanations above in this post, option D is incorrect because "the way Quasers appear to us now is the same as they appeared to us when the Universe was formed. But, when the Universe was formed, we did not exist."

Thank You

It looks like Marty just beat me to this one, but I will reproduce my answer in full below.

---

I suppose I will kill two birds with one stone, even if I am quite late (for some reason) to get to the earlier query. I will work backwards, chronologically, so, KittyDoodles, you are up first. I agree that in is a problem in answer choice (D). If you can find a relatively easy way to doubt an answer choice, then you should look to do so. Pertaining to the implied to us after the substitute verb did, it is a reasonable interpretation because to us appears just after the verb appear and just prior to the comparative as, and we should not have to pick and choose what we want the verb to substitute for:

1) Quasars appear to us as [quasars] [appeared to us] X

But you could write,

2) Quasars appear as they did

You have to be careful about just what these substitute verbs juggle, and you also want to keep comparisons as tight as possible on the GMAT™. Play it safe, so when in doubt about a comparison, seek a safer alternative.

Concerning answer choice (C), as if during the formation of the universe makes the comparison seem purely hypothetical and diminishes its effectiveness. That is, we cannot be sure the sentence is conveying that quasars actually existed at the time of the formation of the universe.

Perhaps answer choices (C) and (D) make more sense now. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 4
Send PM
A —> pronouns and verb tense look good
B —> b uses the wrong tense, as past perfect is used only for compound past actions. Here, only one action in the past
C —> we did not see any quasar during the formation of the universe, as their light did not reach the earth yet. Wrong in meaning
D —> Quasars did not appear to us in the formation of the universe at all; thus, the wrong meaning
E —> same meaning mistake here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal - can you please help with POE for this question?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts