Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Pronounsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [229]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [40]
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [36]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [10]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
aikido_fudoshin wrote:
Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.

(A) we see them as they were during

(B) we see them as they had been during

(C) we see them as if during

(D) they appear to us as they did in

(E) they appear to us as though in

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that we see quasars as they were during the formation of the universe.

Concepts tested here: Tenses + Pronouns + Meaning + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verb “were” to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Further, Option A uses the phrase “as they were at…”, conveying the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence- that we see quasars as they were during the formation of the universe.

B: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb “had been” to refer to an action that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".

C: This answer choice incorrectly modifies “we see” by using “as if during…”, incorrectly implying that we see quasars as if we were currently in the time period when the universe formed; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that we see quasars as they were during the formation of the universe.

D: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “as they did in…”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that quasars appear to us today, in the same way they did during the formation of the universe; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that we see quasars as they were during the formation of the universe.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “as though in…”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that quasars appear to us today, as if they were currently in the formation of the universe; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that we see quasars as they were during the formation of the universe.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [6]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
generis wrote:
no, "did" does not need to match the simple present tense "appear."

Do, does, or did can "stand in" for previous verbs that are written in simple tense and that must change tenses in the sentence.

Option D requires a verb tense shift, from simple present to simple past, this way:
(1) They appear to us now as they appeared in the formation of the universe.

We do not have to say appeared.
We can use did, simple past tense, to substitute for appeared, also simple past tense.
(2) They appear to us now as they [i]did in the formation of the universe.[/i]

Sentences (1) and (2) mean exactly the same thing. Did = appeared

Hope that helps.

1. Helping verbs 'do'(Plural subject) and 'does'(Singular subject) are used for simple present.
2. Helping verb 'did' is used for simple past.

a. The stars appeared to them(some ancient species) in the formation of the universe as they do to us now.
b. The Sun appeared to them(some ancient species) in the formation of the solar system as it does to us now.

3. In the above example a, 'do' is a substitute for 'appear' and in example b, 'does' refers to 'appears'

4. Is there any other helping verb (apart from do, does and did) that performs a similar function?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , other experts - please enlighten

Skywalker18 , you wrote:
Quote:
1. Helping verbs 'do'(Plural subject) and 'does'(Singular subject) are used for simple present.
2. Helping verb 'did' is used for simple past.

a. The stars appeared to them(some ancient species) in the formation of the universe as they do to us now.
b. The Sun appeared to them(some ancient species) in the formation of the solar system as it does to us now.

3. In the above example a, 'do' is a substitute for 'appear' and in example b, 'does' refers to 'appears'

Yes, your examples and statement 3 are correct.
Quote:
4. Is there any other helping verb (apart from do, does and did) that performs a similar function?

No.
If the verb tenses change, only one verb can be used as a substitute: do (does, did).

The verb do as a substitute has two qualifications.
(1) do cannot substitute for TO BE verbs.

Wrong: He is exhausted and she does IS, too.

Wrong: My grandparents were bibliophiles and their siblings did WERE, too.
Wrong: Because my grandparents were bibliophiles, my parents and I do ARE [bibliophiles], too.

(2) The verbs do/does/did cannot substitute for have (has, had, etc.) when have is a helping verb.
By contrast, the verb do can substitute for have when have is a main verb meaning
to own or possess."

Correct: Gaurav has some great recipes and GMATNinja does, too.

Correct: Athena and Artemis had a good sense of direction but their brother Theo did not.

Wrong: Gaurav has eaten all his supper, but GMATNinja did not HAS NOT.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 460 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
I am for A.
Correct
Had Been is unnecessary
during is wrong
Does not convey the correct meaning.
"though in" does not convey correct meaning.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
aikido_fudoshin wrote:
Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.

A.

we see them as they were during... kinda wierd but nothing really wrong.

B: past perfect not needed here. Only describing ONE past action

C: we see them as if during WRONG
D and E: wordy
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
aikido_fudoshin wrote:

jawele wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
hazelnut wrote:
GMATNinja, Could you help to explain why D wrong?

Wrong meaning: In the part "as they did", the verb "did" is used to replace the already used verb "appear" (to avoid repition) - thus the meaning implied is that the way Quasers appear to us now is the same as they appeared to us when the Universe was formed. But, when the Universe was formed, we did not exist. Hence the sentence conveys an absurd meaning.

Hi

I agree with your interpretation. However, I have another question with regards to the use of "did". Is it legit to replace "did" for "appear"? "appear" is in present tense, and "did" needs a verb in simple past. Or I'm wrong? My decision was to eliminate D was precisely because of the tense mismatch.

Thanks

Hi jawele , no, "did" does not need to match the simple present tense "appear."

Do, does, or did can "stand in" for previous verbs that are written in simple tense and that must change tenses in the sentence.

Option D requires a verb tense shift, from simple present to simple past, this way:
(1) They appear to us now as they appeared in the formation of the universe.

We do not have to say appeared.
We can use did, simple past tense, to substitute for appeared, also simple past tense.
(2) They appear to us now as they [i]did in the formation of the universe.[/i]

Sentences (1) and (2) mean exactly the same thing. Did = appeared

Hope that helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pk123 wrote:
I am a bit confused here...Generis points that "2) The verbs do/does/did cannot substitute for have (has, had, etc.) when have is a helping verb." An example to this is "Wrong: Gaurav has eaten all his supper, but GMATNinja did notHAS NOT.

However as Aisle pointed official example shows that did in fact has referred to " has grown"

One purpose of did is to stand in for the SIMPLE PAST TENSE FORM of an antecedent verb.
An OA in GMAT Prep:
Since 1990 the global economy has grown more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.
Here, did is standing in for the simple past tense form of the antecedent verb has grown.
Conveyed meaning:
Since 1990 the global economy has grown more than it GREW during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

The following interpretation would be illogical:
Since 1990 the global economy has grown more than it has grown during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.
The present perfect (has grown) cannot serve to express an action performed in the distant past (during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950).

Quote:
Peter's father has never gone to Paris, but last year, Peter did.

Hi Skywalker18, in this sentence, did is not substituting for has; did is substituting for the present perfect tense has gone (present perfect of action verb go).

The statement in red is incorrect.
Two reasons:
did is a PAST tense verb and thus cannot stand in for the PRESENT perfect tense.
The present perfect tense cannot express an action that happened LAST YEAR.
In the sentence above, did is standing in for the simple past tense form of has gone.
Conveyed meaning:
Peter's father has never gone to Paris, but last year, Peter WENT [to Paris].
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
i THINK a is correct

(B) we see them as they had been during IMPROPER HAD BEEN USE

(C) we see them as if during NOPS!

(D) they appear to us as they did in I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED DURING INSTEAD OF IN

(E) they appear to us as though in THOUGH IMPROPERLY USED
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
are -- present
has taken -- present perfect
were -- past

seems correct to me in "A"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM