It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 23:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 683
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 01:05
C D E have two subjects witch is not acceptable. That is why B is the right answer.
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2016
Posts: 14
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 03:17
please help
why is "are" used ? shouldn't it be were??
means they were believed to be something or they are believed to be something ? :shock: :roll: :roll:
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Hardware)
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 05:57
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are

Can someone please explain the highlighted part -- modifier or fluff! -- Here, I am unable to understand the sentence structure. How can we juxtapose the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe'? (Ping - mikemcgarry , @egmat)

Note : Please do not relate my question with the required answer to this question -- I just want to understand the sentence stem highlighted above --

Thanks,
SA
_________________

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3092
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 06:09
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are

Can someone please explain the highlighted part -- modifier or fluff! -- Here, I am unable to understand the sentence structure. How can we juxtapose the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe'? (Ping - mikemcgarry , @egmat)

Note : Please do not relate my question with the required answer to this question -- I just want to understand the sentence stem highlighted above --

Thanks,
SA


Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, are believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

Subject

Verb

Modifier, modifying Quasars
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?


How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Hardware)
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 06:25
abhimahna wrote:
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are

Can someone please explain the highlighted part -- modifier or fluff! -- Here, I am unable to understand the sentence structure. How can we juxtapose the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe'? (Ping - mikemcgarry , @egmat)

Note : Please do not relate my question with the required answer to this question -- I just want to understand the sentence stem highlighted above --

Thanks,
SA


Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, are believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

Subject

Verb

Modifier, modifying Quasars


I didn't ask that! Of course, I know that it's a modifier! :)
Can you explain how the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are connected together?
_________________

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 07:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are

Can someone please explain the highlighted part -- modifier or fluff! -- Here, I am unable to understand the sentence structure. How can we juxtapose the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe'? (Ping - mikemcgarry , @egmat)

Note : Please do not relate my question with the required answer to this question -- I just want to understand the sentence stem highlighted above --

Thanks,
SA


Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, are believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

Subject

Verb

Modifier, modifying Quasars


I didn't ask that! Of course, I know that it's a modifier! :)
Can you explain how the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are connected together?



'At billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are not two different modifiers, but are parts of one single modifier. It would be evident when you convert this appositive modifier to a relative clause modifier:

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth, are believed to be....
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Hardware)
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 21:25
sayantanc2k wrote:

'At billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are not two different modifiers, but are parts of one single modifier. It would be evident when you convert this appositive modifier to a relative clause modifier:

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth, are believed to be....


Ok. It's much more clear now.
Can we have more than two phrases juxtaposed together to form a modifier? (As in this case two phrases are juxtaposed to form a single modifier) -- If yes, is it possible to convert it into a relative clause modifier then?
_________________

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 07:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

'At billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are not two different modifiers, but are parts of one single modifier. It would be evident when you convert this appositive modifier to a relative clause modifier:

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth, are believed to be....


Ok. It's much more clear now.
Can we have more than two phrases juxtaposed together to form a modifier? (As in this case two phrases are juxtaposed to form a single modifier) -- If yes, is it possible to convert it into a relative clause modifier then?


Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space, are believed to be....


Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space the most distant observable objects in the universe , are believed to be....
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Hardware)
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 08:09
sayantanc2k wrote:
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

'At billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are not two different modifiers, but are parts of one single modifier. It would be evident when you convert this appositive modifier to a relative clause modifier:

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth, are believed to be....


Ok. It's much more clear now.
Can we have more than two phrases juxtaposed together to form a modifier? (As in this case two phrases are juxtaposed to form a single modifier) -- If yes, is it possible to convert it into a relative clause modifier then?


Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space, are believed to be....


Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space the most distant observable objects in the universe , are believed to be....


I didn't know that a modifier can have many phrases serially juxtaposed together -- I thought it's incorrect to make such sentences --
Thanks a bunch for the explanation.
_________________

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Dec 2013
Posts: 235
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 07:54
bmwhype2 wrote:
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are

I already know the OA. Why are the other answers wrong?


A This sentence is a fragment.
B Correct.
C This sentence is improperly formed because it has two subjects without a coordinating conjunction or preposition.
D This sentence is improperly formed because it has two subjects without a coordinating conjunction or preposition.
E "It" does not agree in number with "quasars," and the sentence is a fragment because it has two subjects without a coordinating conjunction or preposition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 251
Location: United States
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 21:27
Hide the modifier a.k.a fluff and the answer becomes apprent.
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

The only correct phrase is Quasars are believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
_________________

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 992
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 01:16
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are
_________________

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 1916
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 07:47
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be -- no verb - “believed” acts as a modifier in this structure
(B) are believed to be - Correct
(C) some believe them to be -- Quasars some -- 2 subjects joined incorrectly
(D) some believe they are -- same as C
(E) it is believed that they are -- same as C

Answer B
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 263
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 07:57
bmwhype2 wrote:
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are

I already know the OA. Why are the other answers wrong?


A) Lacks the full verb. Believed is a past participle here.
B) Is correct. Now we have full verb "are believed"

C, D, and E have awkward constructions. It seems these three carries double subject.

Answer (B)
_________________

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 07:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.