It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 02:05
C D E have two subjects witch is not acceptable. That is why B is the right answer.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 116

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 04:17
please help
why is "are" used ? shouldn't it be were??
means they were believed to be something or they are believed to be something ? :shock: :roll: :roll:

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 116

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 56

Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 06:57
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be
(C) some believe them to be
(D) some believe they are
(E) it is believed that they are

Can someone please explain the highlighted part -- modifier or fluff! -- Here, I am unable to understand the sentence structure. How can we juxtapose the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe'? (Ping - mikemcgarry , @egmat)

Note : Please do not relate my question with the required answer to this question -- I just want to understand the sentence stem highlighted above --

Thanks,
SA

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 07:09
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
592. Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be

Can someone please explain the highlighted part -- modifier or fluff! -- Here, I am unable to understand the sentence structure. How can we juxtapose the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe'? (Ping - mikemcgarry , @egmat)

Note : Please do not relate my question with the required answer to this question -- I just want to understand the sentence stem highlighted above --

Thanks,
SA

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, are believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

Subject

Verb

Modifier, modifying Quasars

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 67

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 07:25
abhimahna wrote:
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be

Thanks,
SA

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, are believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

Subject

Verb

I didn't ask that! Of course, I know that it's a modifier! :)
Can you explain how the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are connected together?

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3506 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be

Thanks,
SA

Subject

Verb

I didn't ask that! Of course, I know that it's a modifier! :)
Can you explain how the phrases 'at billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are connected together?

'At billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are not two different modifiers, but are parts of one single modifier. It would be evident when you convert this appositive modifier to a relative clause modifier:

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth, are believed to be....

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 22:25
sayantanc2k wrote:

'At billions of light-years from Earth' and 'the most distant observable objects in the universe' are not two different modifiers, but are parts of one single modifier. It would be evident when you convert this appositive modifier to a relative clause modifier:

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth, are believed to be....

Ok. It's much more clear now.
Can we have more than two phrases juxtaposed together to form a modifier? (As in this case two phrases are juxtaposed to form a single modifier) -- If yes, is it possible to convert it into a relative clause modifier then?

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Can we have more than two phrases juxtaposed together to form a modifier? (As in this case two phrases are juxtaposed to form a single modifier) -- If yes, is it possible to convert it into a relative clause modifier then?

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space, are believed to be....

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space the most distant observable objects in the universe , are believed to be....

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 09:09
sayantanc2k wrote:
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Quasars, which are the most distant observable objects in the universe at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space, are believed to be....

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth in deep space the most distant observable objects in the universe , are believed to be....

I didn't know that a modifier can have many phrases serially juxtaposed together -- I thought it's incorrect to make such sentences --
Thanks a bunch for the explanation.

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 08:54
bmwhype2 wrote:
(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be

I already know the OA. Why are the other answers wrong?

A This sentence is a fragment.
B Correct.
C This sentence is improperly formed because it has two subjects without a coordinating conjunction or preposition.
D This sentence is improperly formed because it has two subjects without a coordinating conjunction or preposition.
E "It" does not agree in number with "quasars," and the sentence is a fragment because it has two subjects without a coordinating conjunction or preposition.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 22:27
Hide the modifier a.k.a fluff and the answer becomes apprent.
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

The only correct phrase is Quasars are believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 42

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 02:16
Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most distant observable objects in the universe, believed to be the cores of galaxies in an early stage of development.

(A) believed to be
(B) are believed to be

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 195

Re: Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 02:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Quasars, at billions of light-years from Earth the most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap