Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Stern '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.01
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Queen's MBA Class of 2019 (Jan 2018 Intake)- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Is there a group for admitted students?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Queen's MBA Class of 2019 (Jan 2018 Intake)- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
goingforthatmba wrote:

Did you get an admit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBABoss wrote:
goingforthatmba wrote:

Did you get an admit?

yep!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
goingforthatmba wrote:
MBABoss wrote:
goingforthatmba wrote:

Did you get an admit?

yep!

Nice, congrats!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I also received an acceptance to the Queens MBA class of Jan 2018 and was wondering if there is a whats-app group I can join.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What is everyone doing regarding housing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 538
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Hello everyone. I interviewed on campus and will be attending Queen's in January. If anyone is interested in joining a https://gmatclub.com/chat group, please pm me your number and I'll add you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I was admitted today and I am looking forward to joining you all this winter.

Who do I PM to join the https://gmatclub.com/chat group?

Cheers everyone! :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
I was admitted as well. See you all this January

Who do I get in touch with for https://gmatclub.com/chat? :grin:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Congrats to all new admits! Please remember to update the decision tracker when you get a chance.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Congrats to all the admits! this has been good resource for me. I am in midst of completing my application to apply for Jan 2018 intake. Hoping it's not too late.

Is there a login for applicants? thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.32
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hello to all. Will be applying to Queens. Can profile evaluations be done on this page? If not, kindly provide the appropriate link.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
helme009 wrote:
Hello to all. Will be applying to Queens. Can profile evaluations be done on this page? If not, kindly provide the appropriate link.

Thanks

You can post here, I would be happy to comment

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Here is a quick overview of my profile.

[*]--> Canadian (black), underrepresented minority
[*]--> 29 years old
[*]--> Bachelors in Public Administration from a Canadian university (3.2 GPA)
[*]--> 6 years work experience --> sales, policy analyst with federal and provincial levels of government. Currently working for major Canadian bank
[*]--> Extra-curricular --> Volunteer at community radio station at my old university. I help conceptualize and develop radio content. Super fun! Lots of work! I am also co-founder of a small NGO, a statistical project for innovation, research and empowerment in Africa. MBA will provide tools to get project off the ground running.
[*]--> GMAT --> wrote in March 2017. Bombed with a 350. Cutting my losses and switching over to GRE. Cant crack GMAT math. Looking to write Nov 2017
[*]--> Post MBA - use existing expertise in policy formation and analysis to build a career in business-government relations. An MBA will bridge the gap between my background and where I want to go.

What do you think of the profile
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
helme009 wrote:

[*]--> 29 years old
[*]--> 6 years work experience --> sales, policy analyst with federal and provincial levels of government. Currently working for major Canadian bank
[*]--> Extra-curricular --> Volunteer at community radio station at my old university. I help conceptualize and develop radio content. Super fun! Lots of work! I am also co-founder of a small NGO, a statistical project for innovation, research and empowerment in Africa. MBA will provide tools to get project off the ground running.
[*]--> GMAT --> wrote in March 2017. Bombed with a 350. Cutting my losses and switching over to GRE. Cant crack GMAT math. Looking to write Nov 2017
[*]--> Post MBA - use existing expertise in policy formation and analysis to build a career in business-government relations. An MBA will bridge the gap between my background and where I want to go.

So, the good news; you have a pretty good profile.
If you can effectively communicate your goals & your person, you ought to be okay.
Keep in mind we're big on team in your application phase.
We're going to be graded together, working a lot together and ultimately changing the world together.

The not so good. That GMAT.
I didn't have a great GMAT myself so I feel your pain, but I was closer to the class average (650).
If you're switching to the GRE, you have to ace it.
The GRE is scheduled so if you haven't, find those dates.
I would encourage you to brave a GMAT retake(you can pick your own dates).
Take a prep course for it too. You can only get better. I was scoring as high as 660, 690 on practice tests leading up to my test day.
AdCom won't judge your profile based on the lower GMAT but they will be aware of it(when you send it in).

The better news, I've met some of the current class, incoming class, staff and one of our professors.
I would do everything I can to get in.
As long as you can bring up your GRE to the rest of your profile, it is then up to expressing yourself, references and demonstrating your fit.

Keep in mind being black or underrepresented minority does not work the same as in the US.
You either have it or you don't for an MBA.
I'm black as well so I'm rooting for you.
You can do this!

If you haven't, get in touch with an application advisor for their opinion too.
That matters more than what we here can say.

I hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aeromati wrote:
helme009 wrote:

[*]--> 29 years old

So, the good news; you have a pretty good profile.
If you can effectively communicate your goals & your person, you ought to be okay.
Keep in mind we're big on team in your application phase.
We're going to be graded together, working a lot together and ultimately changing the world together.

The not so good. That GMAT.
I didn't have a great GMAT myself so I feel your pain, but I was closer to the class average (650).
If you're switching to the GRE, you have to ace it.
The GRE is scheduled so if you haven't, find those dates.
I would encourage you to brave a GMAT retake(you can pick your own dates).
Take a prep course for it too. You can only get better. I was scoring as high as 660, 690 on practice tests leading up to my test day.
AdCom won't judge your profile based on the lower GMAT but they will be aware of it(when you send it in).

The better news, I've met some of the current class, incoming class, staff and one of our professors.
I would do everything I can to get in.
As long as you can bring up your GRE to the rest of your profile, it is then up to expressing yourself, references and demonstrating your fit.

Keep in mind being black or underrepresented minority does not work the same as in the US.
You either have it or you don't for an MBA.
I'm black as well so I'm rooting for you.
You can do this!

If you haven't, get in touch with an application advisor for their opinion too.
That matters more than what we here can say.

I hope it helps.

Thanks for your reply.

I actually took a prep course with Kaplan here in my city. Even took advantage of their free retake. It was utter garbage and a waste of money. Kaplan's curriculum was not jiving with me. Big emphasis on strategy but no coverage whatsoever on content. I spent the majority of my schooling years avoiding math. I took math for just the first two years of high school and never touched in again in university.

I switched over to Manhattan and it was much better. Spent all summer working through Manhattan's self study syllabus. Did I get anywhere? Yes. Is it enough? No. I was not able to answer all 600-700 level quant questions. Even after diligent practice in one subject area. However, I was smoking the verbal portion.

I took a GRE practice test yesterday and I did not score as low as my first GMAT diagnostic. The math on the GRE is much much more manageable. Plus, scheduling the GRE is like the GMAT. Book an appointment when dates are available. The paper-format though is only offered 3 times a year I believe. I connected with another member on the forum with a background like mine. He was admitted to Rotman via GRE and was also offered a generous scholarship.

These standardized tests are really a tick in a box. I find them to be a total cash grab. How well I do answering an algebra data sufficiency question at a 700-800 level has nothing to do with how well I do in graduate studies. I have enough charisma, confidence and humility which will allow me to blow these applications out of the water.

Thanks again for your kind words. I will PM you so we can connect via Linkedin.

Regards,

helme009
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi everyone, I hope that everyone had an excellent weekend!

I am finishing my application for the Queen's MBA, I am a little tight here in terms of visa processing time, however I want to ask you something about the application process. Perhaps MBABoss, aeromati or sidiitm2004 could give their insights on the Cover Letter, I mean it seems to be very broad in terms of topics covered. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Fernando
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts