Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Query : How many mocks should be sufficient [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi u1983,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Given your timeframe, taking up to 3 CATs would be reasonable. The question about pacing is an entirely different subject though. Pacing problems - if you have them - do NOT exist on their own; they're the results of OTHER problems. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not.

From your profile, you appear to have take the Official GMAT at least twice already. Were those attempts in the 'old' format or the current/shorter format? Did you have pacing issues when you took either of those two Official Tests?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich.......... Thanks a bunch for your reply .............Those were old format....last year.

The first one ........ I thought I was too smart ..... just went in. ( The split in ESR : SC:5% CR:43%tile RC:22%tile IR:6 Q: 75%tile)
And that even was not an eye opener for me....... But, one good thing was that I got the comment : Your performance on sentence correction question was equivalent to a score of 6,which is better than 0% of GMAT Exam scores............... rest I did not bothered to go over. I bit hurt.... So I went through the SC only for 3 weeks and went in .............( The split in ESR : SC:64% CR:70%tile RC:48%tile IR:6 Q: 63%tile).... somehow happy. But..... thought that it. With practice I can improve .... and will do it when I get some time.

In both the cases Verbal last part was a stretch due to time apparently.

I started again from July..... looked back......... I tried to find out the reasons.......... the basic knowledge issue was there .....for sure....... And READING & COMPREHENDING SPEED (combined) did contributed their fair share. Hence tried to work on them till now.

u1983
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi u1983,

It's not clear when you restarted studying in July (so you may have been back at it for a few days or up to a full month). Have you taken any practice CATs in the current/shorter format during that time? If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each CAT that you took)?

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi u1983,

It's not clear when you restarted studying in July (so you may have been back at it for a few days or up to a full month). Have you taken any practice CATs in the current/shorter format during that time? If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each CAT that you took)?

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC ............. My apologies for the late reply.

It took some time for me to remember the things in July........ I believe I am in the same position now as I was during the last exam.
Took a GMAT Prep CAT today - 640 ( IR7 V29 Q48)

Math Review : 9 Incorrect - Acceptable Performance as of now - Need To avoid silly mistakes ( 75% ) & Refreshing a bit more.

Verbal Review : I think the #1 problem for me is reading and/or active reading speed - I tend to take more than avg time to read........ when I take more time I get my answers correct , but it results in time pressure at the stage 2 ( 13-24 Q) and thus numerous wrong answer.
Today's Split : (1-12 Q: SC:3 CR:2 RC:7 - 0 incorrect ) (13-24 Q: SC:6-2 CR:3-1 RC:0 - 9 incorrect ) (25-36 Q: SC:1-1 CR:3-3 RC:3-4 - 7 incorrect )

And #2 ........ not to take SC for granted.
Current Student
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
u1983 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Wondering how many mocks from reliable source should be sufficient to in 3 weeks before the exam . Provided all the mocks to be reviewed thoroughly for learning.
And what number could be sufficient to get a grasp on the timing stategy.

Thanks
u1983
Although I generally recommend a minimum of 4-6 tests, as far as timing strategy goes, I don't think there is any one answer to this. Maybe the only safe answer is as many as it takes. It is extremely important, however, to ensure that you are well rested before the real thing. Don't take so many practice tests that you end up underperforming on the actual GMAT.

Hello AjiteshArun ............... Thanks a bunch for your thoughts. :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi u1983,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function - and that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion - this recent CAT score shows that you essentially performed the same as you did the last time you took the Official GMAT (about 640 +/- a few points). You appear to handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

1) What is your goal score?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi u1983,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function - and that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion - this recent CAT score shows that you essentially performed the same as you did the last time you took the Official GMAT (about 640 +/- a few points). You appear to handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

1) What is your goal score?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hello EMPOWERgmatRichC thanks again for your reply.

1) I really donot know my goal score....... All I want to achieve in Verbal is comfort in terms of :
A. I am comfortably reading and understanding the SC Q's in 30 Secs & CR in 45 secs on average ( this is before I analyze the answers - as I think I can manage the rest in another 1 min on average)
B. I am regularly achieving the RC Qs......... 1 min 45/60 secs ........including the passage reading ( smaller passage reading - 4 min & longer passage reading 7 min)
C. Limiting silly mistakes in Q ( 2*20 =40 and then selecting the ans 60).

But ..... if you still ask me a score I would like to achieve a V score in the range 40 - 42. The target is very tough at-least from my level......but, it might be achievable....... I am giving it a try.

2) In the month of August I have planned for 6-7 hours of consistent practice everyday.

Thanks Again
u1983
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi u1983,

While you don't necessarily need to define your Overall Score Goal - as well as the Schools that you plan to apply to - having specific Goals in those areas can help you to better focus your studies (and essentially define the point at which you would be 'done' with your GMAT studies). For example, if you plan to apply to a School/Program that places a greater emphasis on the Quant Scaled Score, then you might end up needing to improve in certain Quant areas (and adjusting your studies accordingly, instead of 'hoping' that you Score higher in that section).

While many Test Takers are concerned with how "fast" they work through Verbal prompts, the goal there is NOT to be "fast" - it's to be "efficient." On the GMAT, efficiency involves a number of different areas, including your content knowledge, 'active' reading, taking proper notes (doing work "in your head" is NEVER the best way to approach a prompt) and using the proper Tactics (since most questions can be approached in more than one way, it might be that "your way" is the "long way" - and a more Tactical approach would help you to be more efficient).

Raising a V29 to a V40+ will require that you make significant improvements to how you handle all 3 major Verbal questions types (RC, SC and CR). That training will likely take at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study - and as such, you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot