Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You don't exactly "read" the OG. You do every practice question you can stand. Well, that's what they tell me. I haven't started on it yet. :P

You also need to do practice tests, timed. Did you download the GMATPrep tests yet? Those and Princeton Review tests are supposed to be the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: Question about studying for GMAT [#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
TurtleEater wrote:
Hi there, I want to take the GMAT in a week or so but I haven't signed up yet. Two questions:

1) Can I sign up whenever I want, assuming there are appointments available? I just don't want to sign up right now in case I am not prepared.

Yes. But if you are a stickler for taking the exam at a specific time, you should plan a month in advance. If you read this site extensively, you'll learn that scheduling your exam gives you motivation to keep pace your studies

TurtleEater wrote:
2) I did the Official Guide GMAT 11 diagnostic questions and got 92/100. I am planning on reading the rest of this book. But my question is, do I need to read this Manhattan GMAT stuff everybody on this forum seems to be raving about? The questions I missed were 3 in data sufficiency and 5 in critical reasoning. Let me know and thanks!

That's a rather good score. Did you have to guess on any or were unsure of any?

MGMAT is not necessary for everyone.

if you had a 92% hit rate on the OG Diagnostic (timed mind you...) you are in great shape. you should see where you lie on the scale for each section... i would say you are in the "excellent" tier.

take a powerprep or a gmatprep and see what you get. you are probably good to go soon and don't need to fuss about with MGMAT. MGMAT might help a bit, show you a trick or two... but the books are expensive and you obviously know what you are doing.

my hit rate was like 88% overall for the whole book. every question was i timed. although the last 1/4 i gave myself 3 minutes per question on Q. I got a 710 on test day. do the last 1/3 of the OG and if you fare well just gp for it and get the test over with. you should get a very good score!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the help guys. You are right that I should pay attention to time since I didn't really time myself on the diagnostic. I am pretty quick on the verbal and will definitely have time to spare, but I need to make sure I move quickly on the math. So I guess I will skip the Manhattan GMAT and I will study the rest of the official guide then take the test. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
TurtleEater wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. You are right that I should pay attention to time since I didn't really time myself on the diagnostic. I am pretty quick on the verbal and will definitely have time to spare, but I need to make sure I move quickly on the math. So I guess I will skip the Manhattan GMAT and I will study the rest of the official guide then take the test. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

if you didn't time yourself on the diagnostic its value as a diagnostic tool is worthless. not to rain on your parade :(

i think most people on this board, given untimed conditions, would be able to get 92% hit rate on anything Q related (Verbal is different story, but still) take a CAT right away and see where you truly stand.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah you are definitely right. What should I be doing on the OG to time myself? Just give myself 2 minutes per question? I am going to go do practice questions now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
TurtleEater wrote:
Yeah you are definitely right. What should I be doing on the OG to time myself? Just give myself 2 minutes per question? I am going to go do practice questions now.

for the first half of Quant I gave myself 2 minutes per fquestion, but I always finished with plenty of time. the 3rd quarter I gave myself 2 minutes but time was tighter. last quarter i gave myself 3 minutes per question, becuae the difficulty level really bumps up on some of the questions.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]