Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Question about the actual GMAT score percentile and accuracy [#permalink]
Thanks for the answers - they are quite insightful. Just a quick question reverting back to the point of guessing, how you are doing at the real test.

What I have heard that generally speaking the question difficulty level as measured by illegibility increase [according to GMAT standards i.e]. - If one is doing well, one should not be surprised seeing extremely tough RC or CR or SC. Now based on that assumption I felt that I did quite well on my actual test - the last RC was business related and on a decently difficult topic of interest rates related to overall economy and tied back to individual company performance labor efficiency etc. That's Verbal - which made me think I was at the upper 650 level.

Now onto Quant - the middle section threw me whoppers - palindromes, hard statistics and Geometry - meaning that I did good in the first 10. The middle section I kept on thinking that I did 1 correct 1 wrong or a chain of 3-4 wrong and then recuperated. The last 10 questions were medium level questions thereafter.

Somehow I felt I was in the 650 - 680 zone after the first 2 sections. Generally after all the practice my intuitions work in the +30-50 zone, so even if I ball parked on the upper limit, I still thought I would see a low medium 600. This however was not true.

My question is :

1. Can the number of students taking the exam the skew scores so much that even +50-50 range is out of bounds when estimating scores - vs practice test scenarios?

2. Preparation always precedes luck, especially in exam situations (unlike life) - yet there is no way to prepare for everything - and to be honest I am not a genius and neither are many people who have cracked GMAT, whom I know of. So, the actual question really becomes - when do you know enough now, time to score!

3. One of the coaches above have said - Mindset is key - any last minute mindset tips would be awesome.
Taking into account things such as nagging people, unwanted advice, life strategies to follow which has nothing to do with me whatsoever, unwanted computer glitches, timer malfunctions - you ask me I have it - its like I need to be some sort of GMAT Ninja now!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Question about the actual GMAT score percentile and accuracy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DebbieChats wrote:
Thanks for the answers - they are quite insightful. Just a quick question reverting back to the point of guessing, how you are doing at the real test.

What I have heard that generally speaking the question difficulty level as measured by illegibility increase [according to GMAT standards i.e]. - If one is doing well, one should not be surprised seeing extremely tough RC or CR or SC. Now based on that assumption I felt that I did quite well on my actual test - the last RC was business related and on a decently difficult topic of interest rates related to overall economy and tied back to individual company performance labor efficiency etc. That's Verbal - which made me think I was at the upper 650 level.

Now onto Quant - the middle section threw me whoppers - palindromes, hard statistics and Geometry - meaning that I did good in the first 10. The middle section I kept on thinking that I did 1 correct 1 wrong or a chain of 3-4 wrong and then recuperated. The last 10 questions were medium level questions thereafter.

Somehow I felt I was in the 650 - 680 zone after the first 2 sections. Generally after all the practice my intuitions work in the +30-50 zone, so even if I ball parked on the upper limit, I still thought I would see a low medium 600. This however was not true.

My question is :

1. Can the number of students taking the exam the skew scores so much that even +50-50 range is out of bounds when estimating scores - vs practice test scenarios?

First off, judging how you are doing by considering the difficulty of the questions that you are seeing doesn't work that well. What seems easy for you may be difficult for most people and vice versa. Also, the real GMAT includes experimental questions the difficulty of which is unrelated to the difficulty of the scored questions that you are seeing. Further, even when a test-taker is scoring at a high level, that test-taker may be served relatively easy questions.

Regarding your specific question regarding the number of students taking the test. The GMAT is created to be consistent over time in terms of difficulty. So, the number of students taking and the scores that they are getting has no bearing on how the test is scored. Theoretically at least, the GMAT is scored today the same way in which it was scored a few years ago.

Quote:
2. Preparation always precedes luck, especially in exam situations (unlike life) - yet there is no way to prepare for everything - and to be honest I am not a genius and neither are many people who have cracked GMAT, whom I know of. So, the actual question really becomes - when do you know enough now, time to score!

When you feel strong in most areas of the GMAT and have at least some sense of how to answer questions in areas in which you are less strong, you may be ready to score rather high.

Also, overall approach and things like accuracy affect your score level. So, if your accuracy is good and your overall approach to executing and figuring out how to arrive at correct answers is strong, you may be better positioned to score high that would be someone who knows more about GMAT related concepts and strategies but is not strong in execution.

Quote:
3. One of the coaches above have said - Mindset is key - any last minute mindset tips would be awesome.
Taking into account things such as nagging people, unwanted advice, life strategies to follow which has nothing to do with me whatsoever, unwanted computer glitches, timer malfunctions - you ask me I have it - its like I need to be some sort of GMAT Ninja now!

Yes, having both being something along the lines of a GMAT Ninja and having a Zen attitude toward everything associated with the GMAT can be super helpful. For more on mindset, you could read the following post. Developing the Proper Mindset For GMAT Success
GMAT Club Bot
Question about the actual GMAT score percentile and accuracy [#permalink]