Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
You have to try to answer every question in both sections...with that said, you must also know when to move on after spending too much time on a certain question.

Hmm.... i am in for in a week's time...I believe spending time on a question in verbal section has to be seriously thought out! I think you need to devote more time on first 10 questions.... is that what you guys also think?? Also i hope i am not wrong here...once you are sure you have a range defined say 740-780...you can go a little fast on last 5 questions.... what do you guys think?

FP
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: Question for those with GMAT 700+ [#permalink]
tsaditya wrote:
Do you think you focussed on the initial questions more than the questions in the latter part of the test.

focus on every question as much as you can and know when to move on.

I took a GMAT Prep today... I got #2 and #3 wrong (#2 was a really basic mistake) all in all i believe i got 11 (or maybe 13) wrong in Quant. still scored a 46 in Q!. in Verbal I did not get any question wrong until #13. I got a total of 7 wrong. I got a 45 in V for a total score of 730.

my point is -- don't try to figure out the algorithim...!! just attack every questoin as best u can
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
[#permalink]
Make sure you have a good look at every question- the ideal situation is having 12 minutes for the last 5 questions, no more, no less!
Unless you know that you usually finish with time to spare, never spend more than 3 or 4 minutes on a quant question, not even the first one!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Understand what each question is asking, give yourself roughly 2 minutes per question, and MOVE ON if you get stuck for more than 3 minutes. I cannot be definite about whether the first 10 question myth is true or not, but if you sacrifice too much time in the beginning, you'll be guessing all the time in the end and screw yourself over.

Do the 8 or 9 questions ever 15 minute rule (Quant and verbal, respectively), and check your timer against which problem you're on to make sure you're on track. If you're behind by a couple minutes, just know that you have to work a tiny bit faster. Never let yourself be 4-5 minutes behind...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
break down the exam into parts [#permalink]
i can only say what i used to do. I dont know whether it will work for others. I used to break the quant section down into parts. I had practiced enough to get a sense of how much time i was spending on each ques so would only look at the time at the end of each 10 questions. I would b comfortable with say something like this:
if I was on the 11th ques then if there was 52-53 minutes left
on the 17th ques i would want to be on the 35 minutes to go mark
on the 25th ques i would b happy to be on the 18 minutes to go mark
on the 30th ques the 10 minutes to go mark
guess on a couple of ques after the 30th ques just to claw back the time, not wild guessing though.
34th ques i would look to get to the6 minute mark
then take it from there
i certainly blieve that the earlier questions do carry more weight than the later ones so would give about 25%more importance to them
on the verbal section i never had many problems finishing in time so dont think m too qualified to comment on that. All the best with ur test
GMAT Club Bot
break down the exam into parts [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts