GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Question from Knweton, Question from me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Question from Knweton, Question from me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2011, 08:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:46) correct 51% (01:50) wrong based on 209 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hi this one is from Knewton

Like many other philosophers from the early 20th century who wrote books and articles about divisive political issues, the French philosopher Paul Ricoeur, regarded as one of the great intellectual peacemakers, also wrote controversial political works, and they were as penetrating as those of his colleagues but were less damaging to his reputation.

A and they were as penetrating as those of his colleagues but were
B and these works were as penetrating as his colleagues, but being
C and, as penetrating as his colleagues’, but were
D as penetrating as those of his colleagues, however, they were
E as penetrating as his colleagues' however, it was

I have a question regarding the right answer
The "but" is a conjunction that connects two independent clauses (like and) and should be used with a comma (...,but)
Now in this sentence "but" is something else, since there is no comma preceding it and it is not followed by an independent clause, now in which category should i put this particular "but" ???

Can someone explain this to me ?

thanks
Intern
Intern
Re: Question from Knweton, Question from me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:54
btween D and A
hmmmmmmmmm. I'll go with A
the only problem with D is the COMMA after 'political works'
about the COMMA uasked before BUT< to me, the sentence is concise and clear no need to be separated by COMMA
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2011, 20:07
The contention is between A and D. D however is a run of sentence

....controversial political works, and as penetrating as those of his colleagues, however, they were less damaging to his reputation=> this usage leads to two independent clauses seperated by a comma -

....controversial political works, and as penetrating as those of his colleagues
and
however, they were less damaging to his reputation
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2011, 21:00
was a tough one b/w A and D. Picked A.

'as penetrating as those' seemed like a run-on.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-10-2012

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2011, 04:06
Picked D :(
Thought "they" might refer to the other writers mentioned before.... did not consider it as a modifier modifying the works.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2011, 05:19
hafgola wrote:
Hi this one is from Knewton

Like many other philosophers from the early 20th century who wrote books and articles about divisive political issues, the French philosopher Paul Ricoeur, regarded as one of the great intellectual peacemakers, also wrote controversial political works, and they were as penetrating as those of his colleagues but were less damaging to his reputation.

A and they were as penetrating as those of his colleagues but were
B and these works were as penetrating as his colleagues, but being
C and, as penetrating as his colleagues’, but were
D as penetrating as those of his colleagues, however, they were
E as penetrating as his colleagues' however, it was

I have a question regarding the right answer
The "but" is a conjunction that connects two independent clauses (like and) and should be used with a comma (...,but)
Now in this sentence "but" is something else, since there is no comma preceding it and it is not followed by an independent clause, now in which category should i put this particular "but" ???

Can someone explain this to me ?

thanks

A - "they" and "those" refer to "works" - Correct
B - incorrect comparison - "works" are compared to "colleagues"
C - Awkward
D - run-on
E - run-on

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 11:09
I have a question about D. Does "as penetrating as those of his colleagues" seem to modify "political works"? I mean can we omit this modifier and a sentence still makes sense? Or in initial sentence "and" is not underlined as shows Crick20002002?

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 11:35
Konstantin1983 wrote:
I have a question about D. Does "as penetrating as those of his colleagues" seem to modify "political works"? I mean can we omit this modifier and a sentence still makes sense? Or in initial sentence "and" is not underlined as shows Crick20002002?

If we omit the modifier in option D then also the structure is incorrect as the clause beginning with however is an IC.

The French philosopher Paul Ricoeur also wrote controversial political works, as penetrating as those of his colleagues,
however, they were less damaging to his reputation. This clause is an IC

The 2 commas are for the modifier 'as penetrating as'. So the clause beginning with however is not connected at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 15:44
gagan0001 wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:

If we omit the modifier in option D then also the structure is incorrect as the clause beginning with however is an IC.

The French philosopher Paul Ricoeur also wrote controversial political works, as penetrating as those of his colleagues,

The 2 commas are for the modifier 'as penetrating as'. So the clause beginning with however is not connected at all.

Thanks! Do you mean that semi-colon is needed before "however"? In this case this would be correct?

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 08:06
Konstantin1983 wrote:
gagan0001 wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:

Thanks! Do you mean that semi-colon is needed before "however"? In this case this would be correct?

Yes, conjunctive adverbs such as however, therefore and in addition often require a semicolon before them since they often start a new independent clause. Thus option D with a semicolon before "however" would be correct.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 09:40
right, D cannot be the answer.
The information cannot be placed between 2 commas because the information is important. Also, "however" indicates that the comparison, so only A is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Question from Knweton, Question from me &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 09:40

Question from Knweton, Question from me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap