Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Questions regarding campus visits [#permalink]
Its River Phoenix. He wants a posthumous MBA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[quote="river"] Would it be possible to visit Columbia, NYU and Yale within 3 days (since they are all in NY) and Kellog, Chicago, Michigan within 3 more? What is the preferred way to move to the other cities (e.g. New York, Boston, Chicago, etc)? What is the best sequence to visit all of them? [quote]

You can definitely do both these options in 3 days. I would advise against fitting 2 visits in one day since most schools have detailed campus visit programs with lunch/class visits etc. and they would definitely clash. I would also add you can take a train to philly from NY and knock out NYU, Columbia, Yale and Wharton in 4 days.

For the NY schools, you can visit them in any order. For Yale, take the train from Grand Central to New Haven. For NYU and Columbia, you can get to them by subway. Also you can just take the train all the way to Wharton from Penn Station.

As far as Boston is concerned, you can either take a bus and save money, get there in 4 hours from NY or take a flight/Amtrak (more expensive). I would suggest taking the bus because its cheap and convenient and you have wifi all the way through.

For the Chicago schools, you could try flying into detroit, visiting Ross and then renting a car and dropping it off in chicago or vice-versa.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Campus attire: I noticed most guys on my visits wearing business casual (button down/slacks, maybe sweater).

Planning the trip: you might need to make two trips, one for the midwest schools, another for the east coast.
- For the midwest schools, you can definitely squeeze in Booth/kellogg on the same day if all you're doing info sessions and tours. I don't think you'll be able to sit in on classes at both schools on the same day. If you'd like to do that, you'll most likely need an additional day in Chicago. You can use public transportation to get from Booth to Kellogg, it just takes a while.
Like terp and others suggested, you can def get to Ann Arbor by bus or rent a car and drive from Chicago. You'll probably want to fly into Chicago and out of Detroit to save yourself the 5-6 drive back from Ross.
- for the east coast schools, you can do something like: NYU/Col on day 1 -> take bus/train/plane to Philly -> Wharton on day 2 -> bus/train/plane to Boston -> MIT on day 3 -> bus to New Haven -> Yale on day 4 -> bus/train back to NYC and either fly out day 4 evening or the next day.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
My $.02:

I would start with MIT on day 1, take the bus to New Haven and do Yale on Day 2, take the Metro-North to Grand Central (NYC) and do Columbia/NYU on Day 3, then take the train (NJ Transit/SEPTA is longer but cheaper) to Philly and do Wharton Day 4. Then fly to Chicago, do Chicago and Kellogg on days 5-6 (I'd encourage doing them on different days so you can visit classes), then rent a car and drive to Ann Arbor for Ross before flying home.

In terms of attire, when I visited Kellogg, Chicago and Duke I saw a mix of guys in khakis/trousers and jeans, but all were wearing sweaters or shirts with a collar. Of course the people interviewing the same day as their visit were wearing suits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Haha, first of all, I am not a clone/child/look-alike of riverriper :) I was thinking of Amazon river, when I chose my nick.

I'd like to thank everybody for the replies. I think that since most universities are close on Friday, I'll follow your advise and go to MIT->Yale->NYU+Columbia(same day)->Wharton (4 days). Then I'll go to Chicago->Kellog->Michigan (1 day each -> 3 days total).

I was also wondering about my timing. Is it best to visit the universities around the end of March or at the end of September? I was thinking that if I visit them in March, then that'll help me on the essays and on my final decision about where to apply, however I was wondering, if it's more valuable to visit them in September, when they'll be more likely to remember names, etc. What do you think?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
river wrote:
Haha, first of all, I am not a clone/child/look-alike of riverriper :) I was thinking of Amazon river, when I chose my nick.

I'd like to thank everybody for the replies. I think that since most universities are close on Friday, I'll follow your advise and go to MIT->Yale->NYU+Columbia(same day)->Wharton (4 days). Then I'll go to Chicago->Kellog->Michigan (1 day each -> 3 days total).

I was also wondering about my timing. Is it best to visit the universities around the end of March or at the end of September? I was thinking that if I visit them in March, then that'll help me on the essays and on my final decision about where to apply, however I was wondering, if it's more valuable to visit them in September, when they'll be more likely to remember names, etc. What do you think?

I did Chicago Booth + Kellogg in the same day - was hectic though!

but managed everything - info sessions at both places and class visits too..

Started the day early at Booth

Campus Visit Schedule:
8:15 am Morning Classes (Monday, Wednesday and Friday only)
10:30 am Information Session with Admissions Staff and Students
11:45 am Building Tour
12:30 pm Lunch with Students
1:15 pm Afternoon Classes ---- skipped this and left for Kellogg (the on-campus info session at Kellogg starts at 2 PM).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
in some ways, i would say a march visit is better: you'll get to talk to SYs who are obviously pros and to FYs who really know what's going on. In Sept the FYs haven't done much of anything, so they're less helpful. And some schools start their visit programs in October - Duke does. Because Duke's visit program is so student-driven, we need to have time to recruit and train the ambassadors before we kick it off. I don't know about the visit calendars for the schools you mentioned.

the main downside to march is that the weather in the upper midwest and northeast can be dodgy! also, things may change from one year to another. Duke added the Leader of Consequence essay this year, and you wouldn't have heard about it in March of last year, but would have this past fall. Your essay fodder will also be less fresh - totally ok if you're talking about general things (the interesting curriculum at Yale) but less ok if you're talking about a new initiative.

I wouldn't worry a lot about having your name fresh. the schools, as far as I know, all keep detailed records about who comes when. the schools will see your interest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ouw.. schools do keep records of people visiting? that's good.
So I guess visiting is extra important then huh?

I thought visiting is just for us to capture details,have an idea bout the 'fit',and somehow incorporate it in our essay.
And the only way they know we visit is if we put it in our app.
GMAT Club Bot