It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Finally Done. Admitted in Kellogg for 2015 intake
Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 540

Kudos [?]: 3955 [0], given: 217

Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2012, 05:06
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:00) correct 45% (01:05) wrong based on 223 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set containing 7 different numbers, all of which are members of R. Which of the following statements CANNOT be true?

(A) The range of R is less than the range of S.
(B) The mean of R is greater than the mean of S.
(C) The range of R is equal to the range of S.
(D) The mean of R is less than the mean of S.
(E) The mean of R is equal to the mean of S.

I got he right answer (
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
) but had to some guess work on choice D. Any idea how can we prove that choice
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
can be true as well?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610
GMAT ==> 730

Kudos [?]: 3955 [0], given: 217

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41640

Kudos [?]: 124212 [1], given: 12075

Re: CANNOT be true [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2012, 05:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
enigma123 wrote:
R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set containing 7 different numbers, all of which are members of R. Which of the following statements CANNOT be true?

(A) The range of R is less than the range of S.
(B) The mean of R is greater than the mean of S.
(C) The range of R is equal to the range of S.
(D) The mean of R is less than the mean of S.
(E) The mean of R is equal to the mean of S.

I got he right answer (A) but had to some guess work on choice D. Any idea how can we prove that choice D can be true as well?


The range of a set is the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a set.

So, the answer is straight A: the range of a subset cannot be more than the range of a whole set: how can the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a subset be more than the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a whole set.

As for D:
Consider set R to be {-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4} --> mean=0.5.

(D) The mean of R is less than the mean of S --> remove the smallest term -3, then the mean of S will be 1, so more than 0.5.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 124212 [1], given: 12075

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2014
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 20

Re: R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 04:59
HI Bunuel, consider this Set R = { 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} and set S = {1,2,3,5,6,7,8}, in this case, the range for both set R and set S is 7.

Kindly let me know if am missing something here ?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 20

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41640

Kudos [?]: 124212 [0], given: 12075

Re: R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 05:34
virinchiwiwo wrote:
HI Bunuel, consider this Set R = { 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} and set S = {1,2,3,5,6,7,8}, in this case, the range for both set R and set S is 7.

Kindly let me know if am missing something here ?

Thanks


Yes, the ranges are equal but what's your question?
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 124212 [0], given: 12075

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 42

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 132

Re: CANNOT be true [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 01:15
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set containing 7 different numbers, all of which are members of R. Which of the following statements CANNOT be true?

(A) The range of R is less than the range of S.
(B) The mean of R is greater than the mean of S.
(C) The range of R is equal to the range of S.
(D) The mean of R is less than the mean of S.
(E) The mean of R is equal to the mean of S.

I got he right answer (A) but had to some guess work on choice D. Any idea how can we prove that choice D can be true as well?


The range of a set is the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a set.

So, the answer is straight A: the range of a subset cannot be more than the range of a whole set: how can the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a subset be more than the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a whole set.

As for D:
Consider set R to be {-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4} --> mean=0.5.

(D) The mean of R is less than the mean of S --> remove the smallest term -3, then the mean of S will be 1, so more than 0.5.

Hope it's clear.


Hello Bunuel

Sorry ! I am not able to imagine the case where the Mean of the subset will be same as the Mean of its Super Set. i.e. Option E
Please provide an example for that

Thanks a lot for your help ! :)

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 132

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jan 2016
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Schools: Rotman '19 (A)
Re: R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 19:09
niyantg wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set containing 7 different numbers, all of which are members of R. Which of the following statements CANNOT be true?

(A) The range of R is less than the range of S.
(B) The mean of R is greater than the mean of S.
(C) The range of R is equal to the range of S.
(D) The mean of R is less than the mean of S.
(E) The mean of R is equal to the mean of S.

I got he right answer (A) but had to some guess work on choice D. Any idea how can we prove that choice D can be true as well?


The range of a set is the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a set.

So, the answer is straight A: the range of a subset cannot be more than the range of a whole set: how can the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a subset be more than the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a whole set.

As for D:
Consider set R to be {-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4} --> mean=0.5.

(D) The mean of R is less than the mean of S --> remove the smallest term -3, then the mean of S will be 1, so more than 0.5.

Hope it's clear.


Hello Bunuel

Sorry ! I am not able to imagine the case where the Mean of the subset will be same as the Mean of its Super Set. i.e. Option E
Please provide an example for that

Thanks a lot for your help ! :)


Can someone explain answer choice E?

I think there is an error in this question?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2016, 19:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
16 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC A is a set containing 7 different numbers. B is a set contai Jumphi97 6 29 Feb 2016, 01:13
5 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC A set of data contains 5 different numbers whose average is 8.8. After Bunuel 4 31 May 2017, 19:08
25 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC S is a set containing 9 different numbers. T is a set contai vanidhar 12 17 Apr 2017, 22:32
8 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC S is a set containing 9 different numbers. T is a set contai vksunder 4 18 Jan 2014, 03:47
5 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC S is a set containing 8 different positive odd numbers danzig 3 11 Dec 2015, 02:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

R is a set containing 8 different numbers. S is a set

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.