Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [28]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [6]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosph [#permalink]
Kudos
A. Sun, a discovery suggesting that a gigantic number of particles escaped

B. Sun, a discovery that suggested the escape of a gigantic amount of particles

C. Sun suggesting that a gigantic number of particles escaped

D. Sun that suggests a gigantic number of particles that escaped

E. Sun, a discovery suggesting a gigantic amount of particles escaping

any of then could be true :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosph [#permalink]
Kudos
Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosphere of the Sun,
a discovery suggesting that
a gigantic number of particles escaped
into space as geomagnetic storms that
at times cause damage to the Earth’s satellites and power grids.

(Run on sentence.....there is no proper verb because of suggesting.)

suggesting modifies outer atmosphere of the Sun here impying as if atm is suggesting sth

that is used wrongly here modifying outer atmosphere of the sun.

Same error as that of A.

Correct me if I am wrong anywhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
mohand wrote:
E- it s not countable nouns.. like "sugar" - small particles .
i go for E :shock:

IMHO sugar particles should become countable whereas sugar should remain uncountable noun. Happy to be corrected though.

Rgds.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Here is my answer. IMO the answer is

Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosphere of the Sun, a discovery suggesting that a gigantic number of particles escaped into space as geomagnetic storms that at times cause damage to the Earth’s satellites and power grids.

- This makes the best sense//

- keeping suggested which is in the past does not bear well with the rest of the phrase which is still at the present (cause)

- modified issue

- that used twice. incorrect

- escaping means its happening now and ongoing, but it does not sync with the happening 'at times'. So escaped would be the right usage.

Day 21 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!
[/quote]

One more good question from egmat. Modifiers at play here. Should not be much of a problem though :)[/quote]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Point 1.
An amount and physically plural words such as particles or grains or crystals can never be combined together.
We may say a good quantum or amount of sugar, but never, a good quantity of surge crystals. It has to be only a number of sugar crystals, because crystals are certainly countable
We can say a good quantity of milk but not a good quantity of milk sachets, because sachets are physically countable and plural.
So any choice that says the gigantic amount of particles is out of the reckoning

Point 2
C . Sun suggesting that a gigantic number of particles escaped
In both the cases, suggesting and that suggests modify the word sun, which is logically wrong.

So, let's make merry with whatever we are left with?

Though befuddling a bit, this is yet another example that will capitulate before the stick of grammar.
-
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 138
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosphere of the Sun, a discovery suggesting that a gigantic number of particles escaped into space as geomagnetic storms that at times cause damage to the Earth’s satellites and power grids.

Here the first part of the sentence briefs us about the discovery made by the astronomers. Therefore it should be followed by the word "discovery".
Hence eliminating C and D.
As per option B the verb is "suggested", in my view the discovery still persists. Hence it should bot be in past tense.
Eliminate option B.

Now we are left option A and E
The word "suggest" should be followed by "that".
Hence eliminating E

IMO the OA is option A

Give kudos if the above explanation helps you...!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Tmoni26 wrote:
The people going for A, correct me if I am wrong but can you count the number of particles

Particles will go along the same way as money...it is not "the number of money" but "the amount of money"...so there it is but I am waiting for the OA

Money is uncountable , whereas particles are countable
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
@tinnie123, I do not think I would agree with you that Particles are countable...and especially in the context in which it is used in the sentence, but hey, I stand to be corrected..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Though I am late in answering this question, I will just say it was all about modifier and countable and non-countable things. It took 1min35sec.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
Send PM

Why A is not a run on error ?

Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosphere of the Sun - Independent Clause

Although I agree A is the best ans & after elimination the only one but I was doubtful whether I am overlooking the run-on error . Kindly explain .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Freddie! Hi,

Quote:
Why A is not a run on error?

Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosphere of the Sun - Independent Clause

Although I agree A is the best ans & after elimination the only one but I was doubtful whether I am overlooking the run-on error. Kindly explain

By definition, a run-on is a flaw of wrongful conjugation of two independent clauses by just a comma instead of the required period or semicolon or conjunction.

Here in choice A, while the first part is no doubt an IC, the second part ‘a discovery suggesting that a gigantic number of particles escaped’ is not an IC; it is just a modifier; hence A is not a run-on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
A it is. Modifier error & Appositives eliciting clear meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Recently, some astronomers spotted a gap in the extended outer atmosph [#permalink]
Hi,

In the correct option A, the verb tense "escaped" doesn't sync properly with the verb tense of "cause" in the later part of the sentence. It suggests that "escape" happened once at a time, but the effect of one time event of "escape" is that it keeps on causing the storm.

Hi AndrewN, egmat : Could you please shed light on it?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Hi,

In the correct option A, the verb tense "escaped" doesn't sync properly with the verb tense of "cause" in the later part of the sentence. It suggests that "escape" happened once at a time, but the effect of one time event of "escape" is that it keeps on causing the storm.

Hello, abhishekmayank. You have to be careful when you look at a sentence not to project something such as parallelism onto it when the grammatical pieces may be different. How about we start by taking a look at the sentence?

Quote:

Notice that within the modifying phrase—a discovery...—we have two separate embedded clauses, those that begin with that. You can tell that they are NOT parallel clauses because there is no and to link them together: that... and that... Thus, the sentence can tell us what the discovery suggested in the past tense—namely, that particles escaped—while at the same time offering commentary on geomagnetic storms in general in the present tense by employing a relative clause. It is understood that such storms can at times cause damage, not that these particular geomagnetic storms caused damage. To be honest, once I realized the latter clause was modifying storms, I ignored the rest of the sentence, knowing that it had no bearing on the underlined portion. A different sentence could, in fact, be written with caused in place of cause, though. It just depends on what the author means to convey.

I hope that helps clarify your concern. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Hi,

Hello abhishekmayank,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

The intended meaning here is that the particles escaped in the form of geomagnetic storms, in the past, and these storms now cause damage to the Earth’s satellites and power grids. In other words, the particles escaped in the past but cause habitually cause damage in the present. Remember, two tenses in a sentence will not maintain parallelism if the two actually refer to actions in different time periods.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts