GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 09:23

LIVE NOW:

Tips for Your Best Possible Application - Live Chat with Tuck Admissions | Click Here to JOIN!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RAGCT 2015 Day 4: The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 4: The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 11:40
D for me. Although I believe comma should be included in the underlined portion.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 13:14
The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature, it will typically not run from humans, and because it provided meat reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, was nearly driven to extinction, its numbers, at one point, down to a mere thousand.

Due to the non-underlined portion "was nearly driven to extinction, its numbers, at one point, down to a mere thousand", the first clause should end with noun 'auk'. that eliminates A,B, and E.

Now, as the non-underlined portion is in past, tense agreement will have the rest of the statement to be in past as well, "provided". As nature is a fact, it stays.

Hence, Answer C.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 10:55
OA is revealed :)
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 23:48
daagh wrote:
My angle is

1. The passage wants to describe the universal nature of auk; That it is docile and hence it does not runaway and it provides meat etc are all happening even today and will perhaps in the future also; these traits are not exclusive to the past. Hence to describe them in the past tense is untenable.

Secondly one of the traits i.e exhibits docile nature is stated in the present tense, while all other verbs are in the past tense; this shift of tense is a major flaw in the problem. Choices A, B, C and E suffer from this malady; D bucks the problem by using the tenseless modifier form to describe the two essential traits.

Thirdly, the docile nature and not running away from humans is a cause and effect phenomenon; equating both with parallel verbs is wrong. The cause, the primary trait has to have a full working verb while the effect should be in a sub-ordinate form. Choice D does this adroitly by pushing the effect into a parenthesis.

E seems to be a fragment and run-on without a subject for the verb ‘was’ and without proper conjunction or punctuation between the two independent clauses

Hi Daagh,

Isn't the cause and effect phenomena missing in this choice D? Looks like "Exhibiting" and "Providing" are providing additional information rather than showing a cause here.
Please clarify.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 01:16
I think the cause and effect is implicit in D; not all times do we have to specify expressedly that something is the cause and something is the effect. For example ‘Scoring 750 plus in the GMAT, I confidently applied to the Ivy League Schools: Here, it is clear that because I have scored 750+, I am making bold to apply to Ivy League.
I feel it is ok to pass D.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 02:23
daagh wrote:
I think the cause and effect is implicit in D; not all times do we have to specify expressedly that something is the cause and something is the effect. For example ‘Scoring 750 plus in the GMAT, I confidently applied to the Ivy League Schools: Here, it is clear that because I have scored 750+, I am making bold to apply to Ivy League.
I feel it is ok to pass D.

Thanks for the clarification daagh. please provide any such questions that have implied cause and effect relationship for more practice. Thank you.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.71

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 17:31
A. The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature, it will typically not run from humans, and because it provided meat as reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious

This answer has a very strange construction to it.

B. The auk’s docile nature, it typically will not run from humans, and its delicious meat, as reputed by 19th century poachers,

The auk’s docile nature, modifier, and its delicious meat, modifier, was nearly driven to extinction. The auk itself not its nature or meat was nearly driven to extinction.

C. Because it exhibits a docile nature, it did not run away from humans, and it provided meat, reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, the auk

This one is a verb tense issue. It exhibits (present), it did not run (past tense) Incorrect.

It provided meat - This shouldn't be in the past tense as the auk still provides meat.

D. Exhibiting a docile nature—it will typically not run from humans—and providing meat reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, the auk

Clause - modifier - and clause modifier, subject - Correct

E. The auk not only exhibits a docile nature, not typically running from humans, but also provided delicious meat, as reputed by 19th century poachers,

Provided is wrong here.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 570 Q40 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 05:23
I eliminated most of them because their wrong parallel construction and the inconsistent verb tense.

Chose D

Send some kudos this way if I was helpful! :)!

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 21:30
Shouldn't the comma before was nearly driven be included in the underlined portion?

Hasan Mahmud

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 00:54
The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature, it will typically not run from humans, and because it provided meat reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, was nearly driven to extinction, its numbers, at one point, down to a mere thousand.

A. The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature, it will typically not run from humans, and because it provided meat as reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious

B. The auk’s docile nature, it typically will not run from humans, and its delicious meat, as reputed by 19th century poachers,

C. Because it exhibits a docile nature, it did not run away from humans, and it provided meat, reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, the auk

D. Exhibiting a docile nature—it will typically not run from humans—and providing meat reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious, the auk

E. The auk not only exhibits a docile nature, not typically running from humans, but also provided delicious meat, as reputed by 19th century poachers,

Answer is D
Exhibiting a docile nature—it will typically not run from humans—and providing meat reputed by 19th century poachers to be delicious

Exhibiting and providing are modifier that modifies Auk
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 03:35
Mahmud6 wrote:
Shouldn't the comma before was nearly driven be included in the underlined portion?

Thank you for pointing out - corrected.
Re: RAGCT 2015 Day 4: The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2017, 03:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

RAGCT 2015 Day 4: The auk, because it exhibits a docile nature

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap