GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 13:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

08:00 PM EST

09:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

RAGCT Day 12: From the first-class wait staff to the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: RAGCT Day 12: From the first-class wait staff to the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 07:28
A little late in answering I guess. Looked a tad easier than the other questions.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 05:43
Easy one! Hope I didn't make a careless mistake, which seems to be my forte! :(
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 07:47
Already seen something very similar in the manhattan sentence correction manual
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 19:44
simple sentence, took me slightly less than 30 secs :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: ISB '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 05:13
I hope I got this one right..as everyone has pointed out, it is similar to an OG question (Italian vintners)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 02:47
Good one! Waiting for the OA. Is there a different way to find OA o this question?
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 08:41
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 550 Q45 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 05:22
I was left with B and C, finally selected B and got it wrong.
How can we eliminate B here?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 07:56
keyrun wrote:

This is a clone of SC # 91 from OG 13. See in-an-effort-to-reduce-their-inventories-italian-vintners-83910.html

Basically this comes down to proper ellipsis, the ability to leave off the verb in the second part of a sentence. For example:

"I have studied for the GMAT and you have [] too." - Here we can leave off the second "studied for the GMAT" because it is already understood.

In this question, B says "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has". The intended meaning of this ellipsis is to omit the verb "impressed", making it "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has [impressed]". Unfortunately, we cannot complete the ellipsis this way because [impressed] doesn't appear elsewhere in the sentence. The only grammatical ellipsis would could create is "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has [designed to impress]", which improperly means that the banquet itself has done the designing.

C creates proper ellipsis because it says "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it does". In this case, the omitted verb is "impress", making it "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it does [impress]".

Alternatively, another way to look at this is through verb tense consistency. B starts in present simple form (meaning in general, or for all times) and then shifts to present perfect (meaning before, and potentially up till, now). It's perfectly fine to shift tenses, but there needs to be a reason to do so - a time modifier such as "until now". We don't have that in B, so we shouldn't change tenses. A, D, and E all have similar issues.

C doesn't have this problem, because C starts in present simple and ends in present simple. No time modifiers necessitate a change, so don't change tenses, especially since it matches the meaning, that the banquet is designed to impress (a general characteristic about the banquet) and it does impress (another general characteristic about the banquet).
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 550 Q45 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 00:10
mmagyar wrote:
keyrun wrote:

This is a clone of SC # 91 from OG 13.

Basically this comes down to proper ellipsis, the ability to leave off the verb in the second part of a sentence. For example:

"I have studied for the GMAT and you have [] too." - Here we can leave off the second "studied for the GMAT" because it is already understood.

In this question, B says "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has". The intended meaning of this ellipsis is to omit the verb "impressed", making it "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has [impressed]". Unfortunately, we cannot complete the ellipsis this way because [impressed] doesn't appear elsewhere in the sentence. The only grammatical ellipsis would could create is "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it has [designed to impress]", which improperly means that the banquet itself has done the designing.

C creates proper ellipsis because it says "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it does". In this case, the omitted verb is "impress", making it "everything about the banquet is designed to impress, and it does [impress]".

Alternatively, another way to look at this is through verb tense consistency. B starts in present simple form (meaning in general, or for all times) and then shifts to present perfect (meaning before, and potentially up till, now). It's perfectly fine to shift tenses, but there needs to be a reason to do so - a time modifier such as "until now". We don't have that in B, so we shouldn't change tenses. A, D, and E all have similar issues.

C doesn't have this problem, because C starts in present simple and ends in present simple. No time modifiers necessitate a change, so don't change tenses, especially since it matches the meaning, that the banquet is designed to impress (a general characteristic about the banquet) and it does impress (another general characteristic about the banquet).

Thanks mmagyar for such a detailed explanation
+1 kudos
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 00:54
Ellipses again.
Complete the phrases to include the skipped portion and check whether the entities have been compared logically including tenses

From the first-class wait staff to the exotic dishes and the ornate silverware, everything about the banquet was designed to impress, and it is.

(A) was designed to impress, and it is - impressive. Comparing was..... impress and is..... impressive. Past w/ Present

(B) is designed to impress, and it has - impressed. Comparing is..... impress and has..... impressed. Present w/ Past

(C) is designed to impress, and it does - impress. Comparing is..... impress and does impress. Both Present. Correct!!

(D) is being designed to impress, and it has - impressed. Comparing is being designed to impress and it has impressed. Present Continuous w/ Past.

(E) had been designed to impress, and it has - impressed. Comparing had been..... impress and has..... impressed. Past Perfect w/ Simple Past.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Erasmus '20

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 12:58
This sort of question is nightmare for me.
According to Gmat rules, in the second part should be do or does, depends on the subject.
But in some sentence, I feel that is better to use is/are.

Yes, it is better to follow grammar rules that your feelings.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 10:29
Veritas Prep Official Solution:

Your first Decision Point should be the verb tense differences, which allow you to quickly eliminate D and E.
Quote:
D. is being designed to impress, and it has

D incorrectly places the design of this banquet after the fact that it impresses, which is illogical.
Quote:
E. had been designed to impress, and it has

And choice E incorrectly uses the past-perfect “had been designed” without a past- tense event.
Quote:
A. was designed to impress, and it is
B. is designed to impress, and it has

Choices A and B, then, improperly connect the second half of the answer choice with the first.
In A and B, the verbs “is” and “has” would require different forms of the verb “impress” (“is impressing” or “has impressed”),and without those clearly spelled out the placeholder does not work.
Quote:
C. is designed to impress, and it does

“Does” in C is a direct placeholder for “impress”, so that replacement works.

Accordingly, C is correct.

Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: RAGCT Day 12: From the first-class wait staff to the   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 10:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

RAGCT Day 12: From the first-class wait staff to the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap