It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17619 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 09:42
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Kudos [?]: 17619 [0], given: 1986

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 103

Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 10:41
Still confused about OA. I was between A and B and went with A. Sounded succinct and conveyed the message.

Why is it B?

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 103

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 10:48
intheend14 wrote:
Still confused about OA. I was between A and B and went with A. Sounded succinct and conveyed the message.

Why is it B?

At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

The proposal's budget was $38M and it is the least costly. So it won't be rejected based on the budget but it must be rejected on the basis of some other reason.
Not only but also structure is used to reinforce the two reasons.

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.

Option B) clearly states that it is rejected not on budget but because of its riskiness.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9283 [0], given: 1168

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 11:57
The problem is in what you said: sounded correct

Often what is sounded is incorrect in the gmat-land

The process to arrive to the correct one is logically/grammatically/sistematically/painstakingly correct. No rooms for errors.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9283 [0], given: 1168

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 07:53
I dont see any grammer mistake or ambiguity for both A & B, but they have different meanings.
How do you figure which one is intended?
Is it because of the word "ultimately"?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 16:51
At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.
Distortion of meaning. This answer choice does not mean to say that the proposal was rejected on account of its sizable budget and its considerable risk. If anything, the sizable budget is one of the best parts of the proposal

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.
Had must be accompanied with a past perfect.

(D) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.
This one just sounded incredibly wordy and just awkward. Can anyone shed more light as to why this is wrong?

(E) Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate’s proposal, even at 38 million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.
This one also sounded wordy and awkward.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 20:41
Hi All,
I am a bit confused here. The OA stated here is Option 'B'. But isnt Option 'B' changing the meaning of the sentence.

Original Sentence:"........... proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk."
This means that both factors (namely sizable budget and considerable risk) are the reason for rejection of the proposal.

But Option B states that "...........it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness." This means that only one of the two factors (ie riskiness) was responsible for the rejection of the proposal.

Does
anyone agree with this? given the above i chose option A as the answer

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 21:36
alpha981 wrote:
Hi All,
I am a bit confused here. The OA stated here is Option 'B'. But isnt Option 'B' changing the meaning of the sentence.

Original Sentence:"........... proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk."
This means that both factors (namely sizable budget and considerable risk) are the reason for rejection of the proposal.

But Option B states that "...........it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness." This means that only one of the two factors (ie riskiness) was responsible for the rejection of the proposal.

Does
anyone agree with this? given the above i chose option A as the answer

I agree with you but I think for this one you have to pick what is most logical. It doesn't make sense to reject the proposal because it was inexpensive. Also all the other answer choices meaning is different from A.

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 10:42

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk........not only x but also y idiom usage is incorrect here as it imparts incorrect meaning.

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.......parallelism between elements in not X but Y is maintained. proposal is at 38 m $ .is correctly described.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.............past perfect tense is improperly used since there is only one past event of rejection. Just being one of the less costly options is a past event.

(D) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness. (Not x but y structure is not parallel.)

(E) Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate’s proposal, even at 38 million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.........not only x but also y idiom usage is incorrect here as it imparts incorrect meaning and its incorrect form not x but also y is wrong.

out of B,C and D I chose C ignoring B for its two sentence format. Huge mistake of not reading an option completely.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1170

GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 22:10
In this question, tested on not only X but also y idiom.

In option A, delegate propsal must modify even at 38 millions dollars . one of the least costly option put inside between sentence makes sentence ambiguous.

In option C, not rejected on account but on account not parallel. Action happened only in past.
No two past actions present. past perfect not needed.

IN option D not rejected but its, not parallel. apart from sentence fragment with comma.

In Option E due not just to is split infinitive. it must follow due to.

In option B, the delegate proposal correctly modifies the even at 38 million dollars and two clauses joined by semicolon. In second sentence it refers to proposal
and following sentence its possessive pronoun correctly modifies delegate propsal . so correct answer is B.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1170

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 22:00
Hey Guyz,

I understand why A,D and E are wrong and why B is correct. But, i have doubts in C, which i need some help with.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.

Many of us pointed that there are no two past actions presented and that is why 'had' is incorrectly used. I look at it differently and hence am confused. Below are the two actions that happened in past and because of which the usage of past perfect- had is warranted.

Action 1 (happened earlier in past): Being one of the less costly options
Action 2 (happened later in past): Being rejected

Therefore, a past perfect 'had' used with the earlier past action (Action 1) makes sense to me. Please correct me!

Btw, is there any other issue with C?

Do we have an OE for this?

Thanks!

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 142

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 05:00
arhumsid wrote:
Hey Guyz,

I understand why A,D and E are wrong and why B is correct. But, i have doubts in C, which i need some help with.

Many of us pointed that there are no two past actions presented and that is why 'had' is incorrectly used. I look at it differently and hence am confused. Below are the two actions that happened in past and because of which the usage of past perfect- had is warranted.

Action 1 (happened earlier in past): Being one of the less costly options
Action 2 (happened later in past): Being rejected

Therefore, a past perfect 'had' used with the earlier past action (Action 1) makes sense to me. Please correct me!

Btw, is there any other issue with C?

Do we have an OE for this?

Thanks!

Action 1 (being a less costly option) did not happen before the action 2 ( being rejected). The proposal was still less costly while it was being rejected.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 11:38
Very good question.. Still not convinced by the OE though. How is it correct to use "among" and "less costly" together?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 05:07
abhirupg07 wrote:
Very good question.. Still not convinced by the OE though. How is it correct to use "among" and "less costly" together?

Could you elaborate why would you not agree that "among" and "less costly options" could not be used together?

When we choose one from a number of distinct objects, we use "between", whereas when we choose one from a general group, we use "among".

I must choose a colour between red, blue and green...... red, blue and green are distinct choices.
I must choose a colour among those given in the shade book........ colours given the shade book is a group.

With the above logic, we may say that "less costly proposals" is a group of proposals. The delegate's proposal is one among the group. Therefore usage of "among" is appropriate here.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 05:38
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhirupg07 wrote:

Could you elaborate why would you not agree that "among" and "less costly options" could not be used together?

When we choose one from a number of distinct objects, we use "between", whereas when we choose one from a general group, we use "among".

I must choose a colour between red, blue and green...... red, blue and green are distinct choices.
I must choose a colour among those given in the shade book........ colours given the shade book is a group.

With the above logic, we may say that "less costly proposals" is a group of proposals. The delegate's proposal is one among the group. Therefore usage of "among" is appropriate here.

We use "between" when we have two distinct choices and we use "among" when we have more than two choices. To me, your example is wrong.

I must choose a colour among red, blue and green.
I must choose a colour between red and green.

And we use "less" when comparing between two choices and we use "least" when we are comparing among more than two choices.

For this particular example, are we comparing between one proposal (the least costly one) and the other group of proposals which are costlier? In that case it makes sense.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 06:44
abhirupg07 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhirupg07 wrote:

We use "between" when we have two distinct choices and we use "among" when we have more than two choices. To me, your example is wrong.

I must choose a colour among red, blue and green.
I must choose a colour between red and green.

And we use "less" when comparing between two choices and we use "least" when we are comparing among more than two choices.

For this particular example, are we comparing between one proposal (the least costly one) and the other group of proposals which are costlier? In that case it makes sense.

First:
The concept that "between" is used for two objects and "among" is used for more than two objects is wrong. Many people have this misconception and even certain prep books consist of this mistake. :)

I must choose a colour among red, blue and green: this sentence is grammatically incorrect.
I must choose a colour between red, blue and green: correct.
I must choose a colour between blue and green: correct.

Second:
It is perfectly alright to say:
My height is less than 50 other students of the class..... We are comparing one choice with 50 other choices. It is possible to use comparative adjective to compare one object with a group of objects.

Third:
Now let us come back to the subject question:
The delegate's proposal is one among a group of proposals (say group A). There is another group of proposals ( say group B), which are more costly than group A proposals. In this case it is perfectly alright to say that the delegate's proposal is one among the less costly proposals (i.e. group A proposals).

[Nevertheless we would preferably have a "than" along with the comparative adjective "less" ( in order to compare group A with group B).]

I would encourage you to continue this discussion if you do not agree with me. :-D

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 10:28
I agree with points 2 & 3 that you mentioned, as I had already mentioned in my previous post, and this trick makes this a very good question. As far as the distinction between "among" and "between".. maybe we should let others weigh in with their opinions.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:17
abhirupg07 wrote:
I agree with points 2 & 3 that you mentioned, as I had already mentioned in my previous post, and this trick makes this a very good question. As far as the distinction between "among" and "between".. maybe we should let others weigh in with their opinions.

In the mean time, I could find the following topics on the internet that would provide insight on the usages of "among" and 'between" - as per the opinion of each of the writers of the following topics, the distinction between " among" and "between" is not because of the number of choices being 2 or more, but because of having distinct choices or not - Each of the writers do agree that "between" can indeed be used for more than 2 items, if they are distinct:

http://grammar.about.com/od/alightersid ... etween.htm
http://www.espressoenglish.net/whats-th ... and-among/
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar ... n-or-among
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... allenge46/
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat ... rsus-among

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 894 [2], given: 75

At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate's proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

A. At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate's proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

B. Even at nearly thirty-eight million dollars, the delegate's proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.

C. The delegate's thirty-eight million dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.

D. The delegate's thirty-eight million dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.

E. Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate's proposal, even at thirty-eight million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [2], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 12:59
A options has contradictory statement.
B The best available choice.
C instead of "not rejected on" it should be "rejected not only on...but also on...".
D it contain double negating words "Nevertheless" and "not" altogether
E very weird and wordy

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 17

Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2016, 12:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 73 posts ] 

RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap