It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2015
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 92

Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 07:58
A. At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate's proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

B. Even at nearly thirty-eight million dollars, the delegate's proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.


Doesn't B change the meaning of the original sentence?

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 92

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1201

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 08:21
hwgmat2015 wrote:
A. At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate's proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

B. Even at nearly thirty-eight million dollars, the delegate's proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.


Doesn't B change the meaning of the original sentence?


Yes It does but in the right way.
Think meaning wise............If the 38 million dollars is the one of the least costly options, then why will they reject on account of its budget. Other options are either have same cost or more isn't it?
option B, C and D display the same.
I hope this helps. :)
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 May 2015
Posts: 29

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, International Business
Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 12:42
Can someone please explain me the concept of double -ves, or give me a link to study about it? :oops: :?: :?: :?:
D it contain double negating words "Nevertheless" and "not" altogether

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1201

Kudos [?]: 894 [1], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 19:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
lotrgandalf wrote:
Can someone please explain me the concept of double -ves, or give me a link to study about it? :oops: :?: :?: :?:
D it contain double negating words "Nevertheless" and "not" altogether


Quote:
Nevertheless means
despite that/everything, after everything, having said that, that said, just the same, all the same, at the same time, in any event, come what may, at any rate, notwithstanding, regardless, anyway, anyhow etc.


Quote:
The delegate's thirty-eight million dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.


Here nevertheless indicates that proposal is among the least costly options irrespective of all reasons.
not is used to explain the reason behind rejection in a simple manner and is part of not/but idiom.
These are negative words but double negation is altogether a different concept.
You can go through this article for the same.
double-negatives-206717.html
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [1], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 267

Kudos [?]: 186 [1], given: 103

Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 11:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Can somebody please explain why is (E) wrong? I know that (B) is gramatically correct but it is also changing the meaning and we can change the meaning of original sentence if and only if every other option has atleast 1 gramatical error. Hence, the exercise boils down to finding error in every option.
So, My issues are
1. Original sentence says that it is "one of the least costly options being considered", meaning that there may be options that are less costly than the one rejected. So, a devil's advocate would say that it can be rejected because of the budget. Therefore, (B) is not necessarily changing the meaning in the Positive direction. It is simply canging the meaning.
2. Now analyse (E) - We have an opening modifier that is correctly modifying correct noun "the delegate's proposal", which in turn is further modified by an appositive "even at thirty-eight million dollars", and finally we have the main verb of the sentence.
Structure -> Fine at the minimum and prefered by GMAT in reality because of the presence of appositive.
3. The only (possible) error that I can try to point is the usage of "Due to". I am not sure if it is correctly used here or must we use "because of". Except for this everything is fine. There are no errors in parallelism, tenses, agreement, meaning, wordiness, redundancy and punctuation.
_________________

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Kudos [?]: 186 [1], given: 103

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 135

Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 11:22
umg wrote:
Can somebody please explain why is (E) wrong? I know that (B) is gramatically correct but it is also changing the meaning and we can change the meaning of original sentence if and only if every other option has atleast 1 gramatical error. Hence, the exercise boils down to finding error in every option.
So, My issues are
1. Original sentence says that it is "one of the least costly options being considered", meaning that there may be options that are less costly than the one rejected. So, a devil's advocate would say that it can be rejected because of the budget. Therefore, (B) is not necessarily changing the meaning in the Positive direction. It is simply canging the meaning.
2. Now analyse (E) - We have an opening modifier that is correctly modifying correct noun "the delegate's proposal", which in turn is further modified by an appositive "even at thirty-eight million dollars", and finally we have the main verb of the sentence.
Structure -> Fine at the minimum and prefered by GMAT in reality because of the presence of appositive.
3. The only (possible) error that I can try to point is the usage of "Due to". I am not sure if it is correctly used here or must we use "because of". Except for this everything is fine. There are no errors in parallelism, tenses, agreement, meaning, wordiness, redundancy and punctuation.


I immediately eliminated E as I read the very first part of the sentence. The author was saying 38 million dollars is one of the least costly options. As such, it's not logical to say that it is rejected because of its sizeable budget. Don't get your head buried too much in option A. It doesn't make sense if you say it out loud in real life ain't it :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 135

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3197

Kudos [?]: 3506 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 01:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
umg wrote:
Can somebody please explain why is (E) wrong? I know that (B) is gramatically correct but it is also changing the meaning and we can change the meaning of original sentence if and only if every other option has atleast 1 gramatical error. Hence, the exercise boils down to finding error in every option.
So, My issues are
1. Original sentence says that it is "one of the least costly options being considered", meaning that there may be options that are less costly than the one rejected. So, a devil's advocate would say that it can be rejected because of the budget. Therefore, (B) is not necessarily changing the meaning in the Positive direction. It is simply canging the meaning.
2. Now analyse (E) - We have an opening modifier that is correctly modifying correct noun "the delegate's proposal", which in turn is further modified by an appositive "even at thirty-eight million dollars", and finally we have the main verb of the sentence.
Structure -> Fine at the minimum and prefered by GMAT in reality because of the presence of appositive.
3. The only (possible) error that I can try to point is the usage of "Due to". I am not sure if it is correctly used here or must we use "because of". Except for this everything is fine. There are no errors in parallelism, tenses, agreement, meaning, wordiness, redundancy and punctuation.


You are absolutely on the right track. "Due" is an adjective and must refer to a noun (or noun phrase). Here "due to" refers to the past participle "rejected" and hence wrong. "Rejection was due to" could have been correct,but then the entire structure would have been required to be modified.

Kudos [?]: 3506 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2016
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 49

Re: At nearly thirty-eight million dollars, one of the least costly option [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 05:54
Chose the wrong option.

Now i think that since the argument mentions the cost of the budget twice, each mention should be part of independent clauses.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 49

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 806

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 05:40
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 151

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 06:00
carcass wrote:
Vinitkhicha1111 wrote:
A gud ques from a reliable and trusted source, I.e Veritas Prep. Was able to narrow it down to B & C but after that I was pretty not sure , although I marked one along them. Pls someone tell me that in many a lot SC ques I am narrow it down to 2 options with high level of surity but I get confused after this between these 2 options. Pls somebody ( esp this verbal forum moderators) throw some light on this and help me get over my plight , so that even one more member is able to score in the high 700's. :help2 :banana :yes



C is wrong for two main reasons: first of all, the sentence lacks of the main verbe. When you have HAD this tense must be paired with the simple past to maintain the parallellism.

You have two actions in the past: the first one is expressed with the simple past, and the second one, which is antecedent to the same, logically comes before the first one.

Secondly: if you cut off the long modifier the sentence loses its meaning; you do have only part of the story that it wants to convey

Hope this helps


Hi,

Could you please also explain why A is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3197

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 04:26
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Vinitkhicha1111 wrote:
A gud ques from a reliable and trusted source, I.e Veritas Prep. Was able to narrow it down to B & C but after that I was pretty not sure , although I marked one along them. Pls someone tell me that in many a lot SC ques I am narrow it down to 2 options with high level of surity but I get confused after this between these 2 options. Pls somebody ( esp this verbal forum moderators) throw some light on this and help me get over my plight , so that even one more member is able to score in the high 700's. :help2 :banana :yes



C is wrong for two main reasons: first of all, the sentence lacks of the main verbe. When you have HAD this tense must be paired with the simple past to maintain the parallellism.

You have two actions in the past: the first one is expressed with the simple past, and the second one, which is antecedent to the same, logically comes before the first one.

Secondly: if you cut off the long modifier the sentence loses its meaning; you do have only part of the story that it wants to convey

Hope this helps


Hi,

Could you please also explain why A is wrong?


One might put up the following explanation to eliminate A:

The subject "the delegate’s proposal " has two consecutive modifiers without a conjunction between them:
1. At nearly 38 million dollars
2. one of the least costly options being considered

Two consecutive modifiers without a conjunction and referring to the same noun / noun phrase is considered wrong. (note in this sentence I used "and" between "without a conjunction" and "referring to the same noun / noun phrase "). In absence of the conjunction the second modifier erroneously refers to a noun in the first modifier rather than the intended noun. (e.g. in my sentence, if I did not use "and", then "referring to the same noun / noun phrase" would wrongly refer to "conjunction" rather than "modifiers".).


However the problem with the above reasoning to eliminate A is that the second modifier "one of the least costly options being considered" can as well refer to "38 million Dollars" rather than "the delegate’s proposal". This construction makes sense too. Hence I do not see this as a solid reason to eliminate A.

The correct reasoning is that we need a contrast that shows that the proposal was one of the least costly options, YET it was rejected. This contrast is better projected in B because of the word "even".

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 215

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 09:15
souvik101990 wrote:
At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.

(D) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.

(E) Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate’s proposal, even at 38 million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.

Day 14 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!


Doesn't B change the intent?
The question says "not only because of but alos because of B"
This can not be same as " not because of A, but because of B".
Also, what is wrong with A?
_________________

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 12:14
hello experts,

is the usage of "being" correct in the sentence? It is neither used as a verb (in passive voice) nor used as a noun

I think it is used as a modifier modifying "options"

Please correct me if I am wrong :-)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 12:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 73 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.