Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [57]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale- [#permalink]
This time it was definitely not so Easy.. :(

Eeeks :? ...I may be wrong this time
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale- [#permalink]
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Mate, this question is testing idioms and parallelism. Be sure before you mark an answer..

Now that you have quoted me, let me tell you that my answers are hidden inside my remarks..you should have cross-checked the options 2.71 times atleast...sounds wierd? :?: ...think..think.. :lol:

Originally posted by itzmyzone911 on 03 Oct 2014, 23:04.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Dec 2018, 23:58, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale- [#permalink]
itzmyzone911 wrote:
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Mate, this question is testing idioms and parallelism. Be sure before you mark an answer..

Now that you have quoted me, let me tell you that my answers are hidden inside my remarks..you should have cross-checked the options 2.71 times atleast...sounds wierd? :?: ...think..think.. :lol:

Yup got your hidden answer mate, but should not it be only so X that Y rather than so X,so Y that Z...the one enclosed within commas is modifying X....oops did I revealed the concealed ?....it's so covert that it's overt ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
PagalGuru wrote:
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Yup got your hidden answer mate, but should not it be only so X that Y rather than so X,so Y that Z...the one enclosed within commas is modifying X....oops did I revealed the concealed ?....it's so covert that it's overt ;) (..nice one mate :) )

REMEMBER: The correct answer MAY not be the best choice on earth, but will certainly be the best among the five choices given. So do away with the ‘shoulds’ and ‘coulds’ in your mind while judging the five contenders.
THUMB RULE: Ponder over the best choice among the five given, do not ponder over what COULD be the best answer.

Just to address your doubt specifically, note that a single outcome (indicator - 'that') is being described as a result of the intensity (indicator-'so') of two different entities (heavy rains and hailstones’ & ‘relentless gusts’). The author intends to do so by employing two different clauses in a single sentence as opposed to two different sentences altogether. The correct answer serves the purpose well without any idiomatic or grammatical mistake.

Originally posted by itzmyzone911 on 04 Oct 2014, 01:38.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Dec 2018, 23:59, edited 4 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale- [#permalink]
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless, the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

(A) and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless,.............misses that in so X that Y idiom

(B) and the gale-force wind gusts were relentless, so that...........so is redundant

(C) its gusts of gale-force wind relentless, that..............deviates the meaning from the intended one

(D) the gale-force winds were gusting so relentlessly,...........past continuous tense verb+ing becomes the spoilsport and intended meaning got deviated.

(E) so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, that........correct choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I think it is a variation of so -adj -that structure to make this sentence more appealing. For example,
He is so smart that people cannot beat him. We can restructure this:So smart is he that people cannot beat him.
Again, Her voice is so sweet and her expression is so articulate that the audience love to listen her. We can restructure it as: So sweet is her voice, so articulate her expression that the audience love to listen her.
Please add if any correction or modification of my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
I am unable to understand the correct idiom and why choice E is correct inspite of reading all previous explanations on this forum;

my questions: 'Its' is an possessive (singular) pronoun, so what is its referring to in answer choice E? storm's rains and hailstones but isn't this plural?

What is the correct idiom - so X, that Y? OR so X, so Y, that Z ----> (as in choice E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Could someone explain what "its" is referring to here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
kchen1994 wrote:
Could someone explain what "its" is referring to here?

deddex and kchen1994: here the possessive pronoun "its" refers to storm's. Strom is singular. So this usage is okay. Now, had this been only "it" referring to storm's, the option would have been wrong.

daagh: Please let me know whether we need an "and" between two clauses starting with So - e.g. So xxxx , and so yyyyy , that ZZZZZ.

regards,
Arup
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Arup

CAn you pl. expand your template into a full sentence. Let's see what follows So?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Arup

CAn you pl. expand your template into a full sentence. Let's see what follows So?

could you please explain which idiom is preferred ?
Which is preferred here- so X, that Y? OR so X, so Y, that Z ----> (as in choice E)

also is the idiom So X, So Y, That Z always preferred >> over so X, that Y

Originally posted by deddex on 07 Dec 2018, 23:38.
Last edited by deddex on 08 Dec 2018, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Arup

daagh : Sir, my doubt is in the context of this sentence only :

So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, and so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, that, the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

Do we need "and" (bold) here? and don't we need a verb to make this part a clause - so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, as we have "were" in the first clause?
Please provide your suggestions.

Regards,
Arup
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Use of 'and' between the two 'SOs' would have been most ideal; Without 'and' it looked as though the author is turning more poetic these days. Whether poetic or not, the author's rhetoric seems to be: After all the first part is a declarative clause but I want to intensify its effect by adding more info in the form of a modifier. So, I am using a modifier, and when I use a modifier you see there is no need to use neither a conjunction nor a verb. Therefore, what is the point?

One can give a benefit of the doubt for the deliberate missing of the verb 'were' saying that the verb is elided in the second arm, as we already have the same word verbatim in the earlier part.

Incidentally, here is a similar official question in those days that raised a bigger storm and gale wind

Quote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/so-dogged-were-frances-perkin-s-investigations-of-the-garment-industry-113690.html

So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

(A) and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent,

(B) and lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, so that

(C) her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that

(D) lobbying for wage and hour reform was so persistent,

(E) so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

But the climax is yet to come. This is supposed to be an adaptation of an excerpt from the New York Times.

<https://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/14/books ... -club.html>

and the relevant portion pertaining to Perkins is as follows.

Quote:
So dogged were her investigations of the garment industry, and so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that she was first recruited by Gov. Al Smith, and later by Gov. Franklin D. Roosevelt, to work within New York State government, rather than against it.

Strangely, the NYT version contains the all-important 'and', which GMAT woefully has missed.

daagh Thank you so much. Nice explanation as always :)

regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja isnt there a pronoun ambiguity in E. What is 'its' referring to?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear AnthonyRitz AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY VeritasPrepBrian GMATNinja,

Q1. A lot of students, including me, pick C.
What is grammatically wrong with C.? Is it simply because C. doesn't have "so"?

I think C. is a proper "noun + noun modifier".

Q2. If I modify choice C. to be "its gusts of gale-force wind SO relentless", would it be correct?

Q3. For the correct choice E., what is the role of "so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind"?
Does it modify "So heavy were the storm's rains and hailstones" in front of it?
Can we have an adjective as an appositive?

Dear VeritasPrepBrian

Q4. Lastly, there is one sentence in the Veritas Advanced Verbal Strategy book P.46 that says
"So parallel its structure, so clear is its meaning, that answer choice E is the correct answer"

I think the above sentence is wrong because the verb is separated by a pair of commas. Also, the verb is separated from "that" by a comma as well.

So, to mimic the correct choice, I think it should be:
"So parallel IS its structure, so clear is its meaning, that answer choice E is the correct answer"

Thank you in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The bride walked slowly, her face glowing in the sunlight.
The modifier in green is known as an ABSOLUTE PHRASE.
An absolute phrase is composed of the following:
POSSESSIVE + NOUN + MODIFIER
Generally, an absolute phrase must either follow or precede an independent clause. with the possessive and noun in the absolute phrase referring to the subject of the independent clause.
Here, the portion in blue can stand alone as a complete sentence and thus is an independent clause.
The possessive and noun in the absolute phrase -- her face -- correctly refers to the preceding subject (the bride).

Quote:
Q1. A lot of students, including me, pick C.
What is grammatically wrong with C.? Is it simply because C. doesn't have "so"?

I think C. is a proper "noun + noun modifier".

Q2. If I modify choice C. to be "its gusts of gale-force wind SO relentless", would it be correct?

C: So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, its gusts of gale-force wind relentless
Here, the portion in red is composed of COMMA + POSSESSIVE + NOUN + MODIFIER and thus seems to be serving as an absolute phrase.
But the preceding clause in blue cannot stand alone as a complete sentence and thus is not independent.
Also, its gusts refers not to the preceding subject (rains and hailstones) but to the preceding possessive (storm's).
As a result, this usage of an absolute phrase is invalid.

Quote:
Q3. For the correct choice E., what is the role of "so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind"?
Does it modify "So heavy were the storm's rains and hailstones" in front of it?
Can we have an adjective as an appositive?

Structures that are parallel and serve the same function may sometimes be connected solely by a comma.
An official example:
In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large number of producing firms, all unfettered by governmental regulations, each seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than the others.
Here, the two colored portions are parallel and serve the same function: each serves to describe the preceding noun (firms).
For this reason, the two colored portions may correctly be connected solely by a comma.

OA for the SC above:
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, so relentless [were] its gusts of gale-force winds, that the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane.
Here, the verb in brackets is omitted but implied.
The two colored portions are parallel and serve the same function.
Each refers to the following that-clause, as follows:
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones that the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane.
So relentless [were] its gusts of gale-force winds that the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane.

Because the two colored portions are parallel and serve the same function, they may correctly be connected solely by a comma.

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 08 Feb 2020, 04:54.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 09 Feb 2020, 05:00, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear GMATGuruNY,

Thank you for your response :)
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Generally, an absolute phrase must follow an independent clause. with the possessive and noun in the absolute phrase

Q1. Absolute Phrase can also precede an independent clause, right?

According to MGMAT SC book:
His head held high, Owen walked out of the store.
His arm in pain, Guillermo strode out of the building.

GMATGuruNY wrote:
OA for the SC above:
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, so relentless [were] its gusts of gale-force winds, that the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane.
Here, the verb in brackets is omitted but implied.
The two colored portions are parallel and serve the same function.

Because the two colored portions are parallel and serve the same function, they may correctly be connected solely by a comma.

Q2. I have one question about the highlighted portion quoted above.
If the OA did NOT omit the helping verb:
So heavy were the storm’s rains and hailstones, so relentless WERE its gusts of gale-force winds, that the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane.

Would the above be a run-on sentence? Can 2 sentences be connected by only just a comma?

In the official example you gave quoted below, the two are just Absolute Phrase, not full sentences. If it were full sentences, would it be a run-on sentence? If possible, could you give one official example in which 2 full sentences are connected by a comma?
GMATGuruNY wrote:
An official example:
In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large number of producing firms, all unfettered by governmental regulations, each seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than the others.
Here, the two colored portions are parallel and serve the same function: each serves to describe the preceding noun (firms).
For this reason, the two colored portions may correctly be connected solely by a comma.

Thank you in advance sir! :please :please :please
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts