GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ramirez: The film industry claims that pirated DVDs, which are usually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Ramirez: The film industry claims that pirated DVDs, which are usually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2019, 21:58
AjiteshArun wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:
AjiteshArun :

I eliminated option B because I thought if only some people are willing to buy legitimate DVDs, it will not affect the plan too much. Because if rest of the people are willing to buy pirated DVDs, the plan will fail and this can not be an assumption.

The tricky part of this choice is when I read it as straight, it seems not a good option, but when I negate it seems great.

Please help, how only some people's willingness can be considered a good assumption.
Hi AkshdeepS,

This is the conclusion:
Lowering prices of DVDs and releasing them sooner would mitigate piracy's negative effect on film industry profits.

Here by mitigate, Ramirez means that the negative effect of piracy on profits would be reduced if the strategy were implemented. However, we must not try to put a number to just how much the negative effect would be reduced by. That is, we should not worry about just how much of a positive impact this strategy is likely to have on profits. We're okay with this strategy as long as we get a positive (non-zero) contribution to profits. So, even an extra $0.01 is enough for us, because, technically, any positive impact on profits will strengthen what Ramirez is saying.

Option B says:
Some people who would otherwise purchase pirated DVDs would be willing to purchase legitimate DVDs if they were less expensive and released earlier than they are now.

In logic, we should think of the word some as "more than zero". That is, by some, we could even mean all. This is why you find the negation of option B so convincing. The opposite of some is not "extremely few". It is "none". So if none of the people who purchase pirated DVDs are willing to purchase legitimate DVDs after the strategy is implemented, the strategy won't work (the strategy will not reduce the negative effect of piracy on profits). If some of them are willing to purchase legitimate DVDs instead of pirated DVDs, then the negative effect of piracy on profits will be reduced (though we don't know by how much).

Yes, your explanation is spot on. That's why official questions are so good that they can deceive us so convincingly without using so called "difficult language".

Thanks for help. :)
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Ramirez: The film industry claims that pirated DVDs, which are usually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2019, 21:25
AjiteshArun wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:
AjiteshArun :

I eliminated option B because I thought if only some people are willing to buy legitimate DVDs, it will not affect the plan too much. Because if rest of the people are willing to buy pirated DVDs, the plan will fail and this can not be an assumption.

The tricky part of this choice is when I read it as straight, it seems not a good option, but when I negate it seems great.

Please help, how only some people's willingness can be considered a good assumption.
Hi AkshdeepS,

This is the conclusion:
Lowering prices of DVDs and releasing them sooner would mitigate piracy's negative effect on film industry profits.

Here by mitigate, Ramirez means that the negative effect of piracy on profits would be reduced if the strategy were implemented. However, we must not try to put a number to just how much the negative effect would be reduced by. That is, we should not worry about just how much of a positive impact this strategy is likely to have on profits. We're okay with this strategy as long as we get a positive (non-zero) contribution to profits. So, even an extra $0.01 is enough for us, because, technically, any positive impact on profits will strengthen what Ramirez is saying.

Option B says:
Some people who would otherwise purchase pirated DVDs would be willing to purchase legitimate DVDs if they were less expensive and released earlier than they are now.

In logic, we should think of the word some as "more than zero". That is, by some, we could even mean all. This is why you find the negation of option B so convincing. The opposite of some is not "extremely few". It is "none". So if none of the people who purchase pirated DVDs are willing to purchase legitimate DVDs after the strategy is implemented, the strategy won't work (the strategy will not reduce the negative effect of piracy on profits). If some of them are willing to purchase legitimate DVDs instead of pirated DVDs, then the negative effect of piracy on profits will be reduced (though we don't know by how much).

Like this explanation more than any others above. I had the some doubt but didn't notice the language that we need to focus on to choose the answer. Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 07:15
AjiteshArun Won't the negation of option B be "Some people who would otherwise purchase pirated DVDs would not be willing to purchase legitimate DVDs if they were less expensive and released earlier than they are now"?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 08:08
I am a simple thinker, so I just think that when option A said “Releasing legitimate DVDs earlier would not cause any reduction in the revenue the film industry receives from the films' theatrical release.”

—> what about the revenue from other sources? Maybe theaters are not the major source of revenue; and releasing earlier doesn’t mean that the price is lower, which is stated not to be preferred by the customers (who seem to expect both).

Therefore this assumption is not enough.

So it must NOT be A :)))

Wwow, after reading your explanation I think I am too innocent :((

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 00:23
Some people who would otherwise purchase pirated DVDs would be willing to purchase legitimate DVDs if they were less expensive and released earlier than they are now------- Negating this will say that NO PEOPLE would purchase. Then the argument will fall.

B is the right answer.

" I CAN AND I WILL"

Your suggestions will be appreciated here---> https://gmatclub.com/forum/your-one-advice-could-help-me-poor-gmat-scores-299072.html

1) Gmat prep: [620 Q48 V27], 2) Gmat prep: [610 Q47 V28], 3) Gmat prep: [620 Q47 V28],
4) Gmat prep: [660 Q47 V34], 5) Gmat prep: [560 Q37 V29], 6) Gmat prep: [540 Q39 V26],
7) Veritas Cat: [620 Q46 V30], 8) Veritas Cat: [630 Q45 V32]
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 21:57
I think option A is out of scope.

The conclusion of the passage is: Lowering Prices of DVDs and releasing them sooner would migrate piracy's negative effects on film industry profits

So here we have to first understand what is this Negative effects of Piracy on the Film industry profits, as per the given context of the passage. Usually, the piracy might effect the theater sales etc etc ( as it happens in real world scenario) but here the argument is about the effect on bottom line due to Pirated dvd's in RELATION to official DVD's.

Option A only shows us NEGATIVE effects of releasing official DVD's but does not concern/relate anyway to the priacy. So it renders the option out of scope.
Option A would have been true if the conclusion said doing so would NOT impact the profits of the industry, because then the conclusion would be broad. Here the conclusion is not broad enough to incorporate such factor.
Regards,
Rishav
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ramirez: The film industry claims that pirated DVDs, which are usually   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2019, 21:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Ramirez: The film industry claims that pirated DVDs, which are usually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics