Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
Re: Random crazy question [#permalink]
chethanjs wrote:
Hi guys,

I am getting paranoid.

One of my recommenders borrowed my macbook to do finishing touches on my recos before uploading them on the school's website.
Do the adcom people track ip addresses of the person uploading? Since Microsoft Word has Author information on it, will they think that I edited the recommendation and deny my application? :-(

I appreciate any inputs from people who worked with Admissions panel before.

Thanks guys.

Did he actually submit the letter on your laptop? If so, that could be a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
If you're worried about it, which is sounds like maybe you should be based on the above responses, then just call or email the admissions team explaining the situation. Remember, these are people on the other end, and my experiences with them is that they've always been very understanding of different circumstances and situations that arise during the application process. Don't stress!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
There's no need for adcom to manually verify anything. In today's age, don't you think it would be automatic? For instance, just a note that runs at the top of your application that automatically highlights anything odd. There are companies that already offer this kind of thing... check out the bottom of this: https://technolutions.com/slate/advantage

Quote:
Fraud detection

Slate features a robust fraud detection system. By evaluating document metadata and login histories for applicants and recommenders, Slate is able to issue intelligent and adaptive alerts when potential fraud is detected. Our proprietary plagiarism detection system, able to be run on-demand or automatically on schedule, searches the entire corpus of uploaded documents and will identify statistically-significant duplication.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
QiuYidio wrote:
There's no need for adcom to manually verify anything. In today's age, don't you think it would be automatic? For instance, just a note that runs at the top of your application that automatically highlights anything odd. There are companies that already offer this kind of thing... check out the bottom of this: https://technolutions.com/slate/advantage

Quote:
Fraud detection

Slate features a robust fraud detection system. By evaluating document metadata and login histories for applicants and recommenders, Slate is able to issue intelligent and adaptive alerts when potential fraud is detected. Our proprietary plagiarism detection system, able to be run on-demand or automatically on schedule, searches the entire corpus of uploaded documents and will identify statistically-significant duplication.

Here's what I don't get about this. There are numerous instances where the recommender will share a similar IP address if you guys work in the same building or other cases where let's say the writer borrows your laptop to log in or cases like mine. Will all those be flagged as cases of "fraud?" Also, this software searches uploaded documents for cases of duplication. In many cases, we tell the recommenders what to focus on or talk about, such as certain projects or examples of leadership. We then talk about that in our essays to reinforce the message of the recommenders. Will those be flagged as "duplication" because we may have used the same stories or phrases? I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Just wondering.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
QiuYidio wrote:

Quote:
Fraud detection

Here's what I don't get about this. There are numerous instances where the recommender will share a similar IP address if you guys work in the same building or other cases where let's say the writer borrows your laptop to log in or cases like mine. Will all those be flagged as cases of "fraud?" Also, this software searches uploaded documents for cases of duplication. In many cases, we tell the recommenders what to focus on or talk about, such as certain projects or examples of leadership. We then talk about that in our essays to reinforce the message of the recommenders. Will those be flagged as "duplication" because we may have used the same stories or phrases? I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Just wondering.

I think it's the combination of things. For instance, if the log-in is from the same IP, but the fraud detection doesn't find statistical similarities, then you're probably fine. But if the log-in is from the same IP, there's similar grammatical structure / diction, and the log-in times are one after the other, then it'll probably flag.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot