It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2007, 10:41
Whether is pefered over if. If is usually used for conditions. That eliminates A and B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2007, 18:34
eyunni wrote:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

(1) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(2) Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(3) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(4) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(5) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

Please explain your answers.

I went w/ D, but I don't like it.

I elim all the choices that used accepting instead of accept.

so AD. I went w/ D b/c use of whether is preffered over "if".

What about the ending of D though? Doesnt this create a run on? end of D just seems so out of place.

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 11:16
GMATBLACKBELT,

Why did you eliminate all the choices that used accepting instead of accept?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 11:27
Guys,

Wouyldn't you say that "rather than accept" is incorrect? it sounds very awekward. What's wrong with E?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 14:40
michaelny2001 wrote:
Guys,

Wouyldn't you say that "rather than accept" is incorrect? it sounds very awekward. What's wrong with E?

Sure michael.....It is awkward. Till now I used to belive that when Rather Than is followed by a verb, that verb will always be in gerund form . Thats why I have serious problem with OA.

And one more thing,
Always:
rather = verbs

instead = nouns

eg.
rather than eat
instead of cars
....I seriously doubt that.
According to me,
Rather than - shows preference. This expression is generally used in 'parallel' structures. e.g - with two nouns, adjectives, adverbs, infinitives or -ing forms.

Instead of -suggests that one person, thing or action replaces another. Instead is not used alone as a preposition; we use the two words instead of.

So instead of is out and with it, C and E options out.
Apart from above mentioned problem with D, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain. seems really awkward.
I am amazed why nobody preferred B at although it sounds okay to me.
Recheck OA.

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2007, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
eyunni wrote:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

(1) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(2) Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(3) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(4) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(5) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

Please explain your answers.

A does not use gerund (accept-ing) therefore sounds bad.

king and queen are the one, who did not accept the fact therefore after comma they should be treated as subject for proximity that removes C & D. Both C & D give the feel that Christopher Columbus is the one who did not accept the fact and that's not true.

E - Redundant to sail, to see - to see is enough here

My take is B.

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2007, 07:30
I will go with B

Lets see whether its rather than or instead of....

Instead of is used as preposition, while rather than can be used both ways, i.e. as a preposition and conjuction... This means instead of + noun is correct.

In this case accept is verb so eliminate instead of. Now we have a,b, and d.

eliminate d, as it seems christopher columbus has not accepted the conventional wisdom.

between a) and b) choose b, because it says the king and queen have performed some action by sending columbus, similarly, they have performed another action by not accepting...

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2008, 06:31
A, B and E have issues with modifier 'Rather than accept(ing) the con. wisdom that the earth was flat, Columbus was sent by the king and queen'

It is clearly king and queen that are not accepting the conventional wisdom not Columbus. So, A, B and E are out.

Between C and D, I have never seen 'instead of' working when 'rather than' is also available as a choice.

D.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2008, 07:02
http://www.englishrules.com/writing/200 ... ead-of.php

The short answer is that in most cases, the two phrases are interchangeable, although "rather than" often has a more formal tone than "instead of."

The American Heritage Book of English Usage offers a much lengthier answer:

The phrase rather than consists of an adverb and a conjunction and often means "and not," as in I decided to skip lunch rather than eat in the cafeteria again. It is grammatically similar to sooner than in that it is used with a "bare" infinitive—an infinitive minus to: I would stay here and eat flies sooner than go with them.

Rather than can also be used with nouns as a compound preposition meaning "instead of": I bought a mountain bike rather than a ten-speed. But some people object to this use, insisting that than should be used only as a conjunction. They therefore object to constructions in which rather than is followed by a gerund, as in Rather than buying a new car, I kept my old one.

In some cases, however, rather than can only be followed by a gerund and not by a bare infinitive. If the main verb of the sentence has a form that does not allow parallel treatment of the verb following rather than, you cannot use a bare infinitive, and you must use a gerund. This is often the case when the main verb is in a past tense or has a participle. Thus, you must say The results of the study, rather than ending (not end or ended) the controversy, only added to it. If the main verb was in the present tense (add), you could use the bare infinitive end.

Curiously, when the rather than construction follows the main verb, it can use other verb forms besides the bare infinitive. Thus you can say The results of the study added to the controversy rather than ended it.

The overriding concern in all of this should be to avoid faulty parallels, as in sentences like Rather than buy a new car, I have kept my old one and Rather than take a cab, she is going on foot.

Clearly, it is grammatically defensible to follow rather than with a gerund, but if you prefer to avoid the controversy, use instead of with gerunds.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1185 [1], given: 100

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2009, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS
A. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B. Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Kudos [?]: 1185 [1], given: 100

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 18

Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2009, 03:53
D.
Very good question. I learned something new. +1 to the poster

Between C and D.

'instead of' is always followed by a noun..so 'accepting' is a gerund..and C compares noun with a verb..
eg. Instead of <noun, e.g. a boat>, Columbus sailed west...- Incorrect
Rather than accept bla_bla, Columbus sailed....- correct

In short, 'rather than' should be used to compare verbs.

Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 18

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [4], given: 28

Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 16:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

A.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B.Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Kudos [?]: 90 [4], given: 28

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 1

Schools: CBS

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
1) "Rather than" + verb is better than "instead of" + verb, so A, B, and D are left.

2) A and B have a problem with active + passive verbs, so they are out. Only D left.

BTW, in A and B, "he" can refer both to Columbus and to the king of Spain!

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 21:33
IMO D. whether is more preferred than if so only options c and d remain. Rather than - shows preference so option D

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 23:25
Can somebody please explain why this would be correct in D
"having been sent by the king and queen of Spain."

IMO E should have been the correct answer.

Dictionary.com usage for rather versus instead

Rather (Idiomatic Usage) - had / would rather, to prefer that or to:
I had much rather we not stay. We would rather go for dinner after the show.

Instead (Idiomatic Usage) instead of, in place of; in lieu of:
You can use milk instead of cream in this recipe.

Now I think, Rather is used when comparing preference between two things or acts whereas Instead is used when we are comparing places. But I am not sure. Can somebody please clarify?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2010, 07:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I accept .. rather than is incorrect .. there is no preference ..

aagar2003 wrote:
Can somebody please explain why this would be correct in D
"having been sent by the king and queen of Spain."

IMO E should have been the correct answer.

Dictionary.com usage for rather versus instead

Rather (Idiomatic Usage) - had / would rather, to prefer that or to:
I had much rather we not stay. We would rather go for dinner after the show.

Instead (Idiomatic Usage) instead of, in place of; in lieu of:
You can use milk instead of cream in this recipe.

Now I think, Rather is used when comparing preference between two things or acts whereas Instead is used when we are comparing places. But I am not sure. Can somebody please clarify?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

5 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 791 [5], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2010, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
'Rather than' is preferred over 'instead of' that levaes A, B and D

'whether' is preferred over 'if' usage

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

A.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west. - incorrect. This sentence has a mixture of active voice and passive voice. 'Rather than accept the wisdom that..... [active voice], CC was sent by the king and queen of Spain [passive voice]

B.Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west. - incorrect. This sentence has a mixture of active voice and passive voice. 'Rather than accept the wisdom that..... [active voice], CC was sent by the king and queen of Spain [passive voice]

C.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

D.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain. - correct. 'Rather than accept the wisdom that...[active voice], CC sailed west to see..[active voice]'. Also, 'having been sent by the king and queen of Spain' modifies the clause 'Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India' and not just the word 'India'

E.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

Kudos [?]: 791 [5], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2010, 11:29
D seems to convey that Christopher Columbus did not accept conventional wisdom and hence decided to sail. "Rather than accept conventional wisdom" should modify the king and not Christopher Columbus. D seems to change the meaning?

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1247 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2012, 02:03
manhattangmat flagged this question for revision. if you want to choose the correct option go with 'rather than' and 'whether'.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Kudos [?]: 1247 [0], given: 48

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1453 [0], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2013, 07:02
what's wrong with E? what's the OA?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1453 [0], given: 543

Re: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2013, 07:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 74 posts ] 

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap