It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 09:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 03:41
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Parallelism" Revision Project.

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

A. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

B. Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

C. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

D. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

E. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The original sentence contains several errors. First, the construction "X rather than Y"
requires parallelism between X and Y, but the original sentence pairs an active verb
("accept") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is
incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X,
then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about
reaching India by traveling west.
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) The construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this
choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the
use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce
conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if”
to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.
(C) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare
the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the
correct choice.
(D) CORRECT. This choice uses the construction “X rather than Y” to correctly
compare the parallel active verbs “accept” and “sailed.” The uncertainty about
reaching India by traveling west is correctly indicated by the word “whether.”
(E) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the
verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct
choice.
Even if “instead of” were correct, the construction "X instead of Y" requires parallelism
between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one
("was sent"). Finally, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is
used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should
be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

rather than x,y

x rather than y

x and y must be parallel

here the word accept which is our x must be parallel with y

so y must comes in similar form

D is the best

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 02:51
Hello,

Can anyone please clarify again why option C is incorrect?

I understand that GMAT prefers 'rather than' to 'instead of' but I do not think that is the defining criterion in this question.

Thanks
AK

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 04:15
b9n920 wrote:
Silvers wrote:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

A.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B.Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D.Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E.Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

I think there is a confusion between C and D i.e. Instead of accepting vs. Rather than accept.

Instead of normally takes NOUNS and are rarely preferred to rather than in GMAT. Further, rather than is always preferred in comparing verbs, e.g. accept in the present case. So, all these reasons make D a better choice than C.

Now, why accept and why not accepting after rather than??

Pls note that Christopher Columbus sailed rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat. Right?

So, Columbus actually sailed, but he never really accepted the blah blah... this is hypothetical. So, we have to use the subjunctive form of the verb - accept.
I think this is the reason why accepting would have been improper here.

Guys, I am no expert. I learned some grammar in Gmatclub from experts such as mikemcgarry and egmat. Hope it helps.

Thank you for your explanation. Like many posts above, I share the same question: why not "accepting" but "accept"? I agree that in some cases, the verb form followed by "rather than" should be in a bare infinitive as you said, in a subjunctive mode. But I am not sure if this rule can be applied to this particular question.

As a non-native speaker, "rather than" has been agonizing me. To be honest, after tons of research, it seems like there is no defining, or agreed, rule. (So, I wonder whether this problematic construction will be solely tested in the GMAT)

In this case, according to one reliable source I found, The American Heritage Book of English Usage (https://www.englishrules.com/writing/20 ... nstead-of/):

#1. this is a case when the sentence is headed by "Rather than"; #2. the main verb ("sailed") is in past tense.

In this particular case, the verb following "Rather than" should be "~ing," not a bare infinitive; the right answer should be "Rather than accepting."

But here comes an alternative explanation. According to another reliable source (https://preciseedit.wordpress.com/2014/ ... ther-than/), if we're comparing "to infinitive," and "Rather than" comes at the beginning of the sentence, the verb followed by "Rather than" can be a bare infinitive. But it is not the case in this particular question because, as far as I understand, we are not comparing "to see" to "accept."; "accept" is compared with the verb, "sailed."

At this point, I feel like it is better giving up on "rather than." Any experts or gurus, please help me out of this monstrous "rather than" trap. And please correct me if I made any mistake in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 37

Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GRE 1: 324 Q165 V159
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 22:20
Hi there,

I get the explanations mentioned in this forum but i didn't get how "having been sent by the king and queen of Spain." is modifying " Christopher Columbus". Noun modifier should be placed close to noun it modifies.

Please explain/point gap in my understanding.

Thanks!

What gets measured, gets managed

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GRE 1: 324 Q165 V159
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 22:27
AkashKashyap wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone please clarify again why option C is incorrect?

I understand that GMAT prefers 'rather than' to 'instead of' but I do not think that is the defining criterion in this question.

Thanks
AK

Hi AkashKashyap,

"Instead of" is used to compare two nouns because "of" takes noun as it's object.

See this for reference: http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/

Hope this helps!

What gets measured, gets managed

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Concentration: General Management, Operations
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 22:32
pranav6082 wrote:
Hi there,

I get the explanations mentioned in this forum but i didn't get how "having been sent by the king and queen of Spain." is modifying " Christopher Columbus". Noun modifier should be placed close to noun it modifies.

Please explain/point gap in my understanding.

Thanks!

Hi Pranav..That is true as you said but depends on the usage ..Notice clause,Verbing phrase here..The Verbing gives more information about the preceding clause here..also it makes complete sense with the subject of preceding clause that is Christopher..if we ask who was sent...or who had been send we have the answer Christopher.Hope it helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 17:49
However, question might be revised but I am intrigued by one thing. Usually, parallism indicates both verb should be in the same tense but this is not the case with the correct answer choice. I tried to understand it MGAT forum but I could not. Please help me to understand why "accept" is acceptable form along with "Sailed".

He SAILED west rather than ACCEPTED/ACCEPT the conventional wisdom

Transposing the sentence to follow the question's structure:
Rather than ACCEPTED/ACCEPT the conventional wisdom, He SAILED west.

Shouldn't it be ACCEPTED since SAILED and ACCEPTED both have the same past tense?

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 157

Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 00:11
This is originally a Manhattan SC question and it did raise a storm at the Manhattan forums.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/rather-than-accept-the-conventional-wisdom-that-the-earth-t1177.html

Hope that thread helps you too.

Hit the kudos if this helped. Doesn't cost a penny.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 157

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 04:50
This is a very tough question with many things happening simultaneously .
There is X rather than Y construction and Instead of construction .
Use of gerund .
Instead of is used to indicate a substitute for example
I use a parker pen instead of a cello pen.
Rather than is correct here which shows contrast perfectly here .
The should be parallelism between the verb accept and sailed .
If is wrong because it is used to show conditional sentences
Whether is used to show some doubt about something.
Only option D does that .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 09:34
hardnstrong wrote:
Its good to be back after a very long time :-D

Here's my take on this question, but before that couple of important concepts.

Rather than/instead of --> Correct Idiom is 'X' rather than/instead of 'Y', So each can be used.
Having been is used to describe an event that happened in the past, but If we are given a time frame then that event may continue till present. Ex- Having been a smoker for past 10 year....Josh cannot quit smoking.

Now comes the question.

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

A. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west. Its ambiguous who didn't accept the conventional wisdom. King and Queen OR Christopher Columbus

B. Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west. Same as A + accepting is wrong here because it cannot be used as a verb without any helping verb such as is or are

C. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain. accepting is wrong here because it cannot be used as a verb without any helping verb such as is or are

D. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain. Correct

E. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India. Same as B

Amazing explanation hardnstrong !

In option B and C, I get that 'ACCEPTING' is incorrect, but I am not getting the exact grammatical error. I would really appreciate, if you could elaborate a bit. :)

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 06:05
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 09:03
sallysea wrote:
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Was that for me? :shock:

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 115

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 16:15
Himalayan wrote:

(A) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(B) Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(C) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(D) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(E) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

Good question.
Lets try first point deduction: If vs whether
If is used for conditional; shows multiple possibilities
whether is used to show certainty; it conveys almost a binary result - YES or NO

In this context, whether is appropriate.
That leaves us with 2 contenders: C and D

(C) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

Instead of can only be used to show contrast between two noun. In C accepting is a gerund [hence a noun] however sailed is a verb, hence cannot to be paralleled with a noun accepting

essentially: instead of accepting [noun] || sailed [verb] - Does not work
So, C Out

(D) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

Rather than is used to show contrast between two verbs. Here in D
Rather than accept || sailed - Correct

Answer D

RzS

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 115

Re: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 16:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 74 posts ] 

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap