It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 15

Schools: Fuqua
Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 16:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (00:48) correct 43% (00:57) wrong based on 425 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions currently live in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.

A) the zoo's lions currently live in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
B) the zoo designed a special environment for its lions in which the animals currently live in a mimic of their natural habitat.
C) the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
D) the zoo's lions currently live in a special environment that the zoo designed to mimic their natural habitat.
E) the zoo currently houses their lions in a special environment designed to mimic their natural habitat.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 10

Re: Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 18:35
This post received
KUDOS
IMO C. whats OA?

this is a modifier problem
Who is confining animals? zoo..
so Pick between B, C or E
B: wordy and wrong
C: right
E: uses special environment in a wrong sense. Also zoo is referred as their it should be "its lions"

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 20:45
IMO C.

Modifier Rather than confining the animals to cages modifies zoo. So A and D out.
Zoo is singular, so their in E is wrong.

Awkward construction in B.

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: Fuqua

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 23:19
OA is C.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2011, 23:21
in C, 'it' refers to zoo, can some one answer, does it make sense? that zoo has designed it...

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2011, 23:27
agdimple333 wrote:
in C, 'it' refers to zoo, can some one answer, does it make sense? that zoo has designed it...

Yes, it refers to zoo only.. zoo specially designed the artificial environment to mimic the natural one

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2011, 06:51
I agree with most of you that the choice should be C. But here is my doubt about "C":

C) the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.

There are two nouns present in this sentence before second "IT": zoo and environment. Isn't it ambiguous?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2011, 07:15
C for me....Rather than "do this"............the zoo "does this"
the underlined part should start with the zoo
B,C,E remain

B is awkward - OUT
E has "their" - OUT

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 18

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2011, 19:51
+1 for C.

possessive pronoun (their) can refer to zoo's lions; but "it" cannot refer to zoo.

Crick

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 588 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2012, 00:23
I am with C
B comes closer but a little wordy, c is clear.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 588 [0], given: 264

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 23:59
agdimple333 wrote:

Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions currently live in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.

A) the zoo's lions currently live in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
B) the zoo designed a special environment for its lions in which the animals currently live in a mimic of their natural habitat.
D) the zoo's lions currently live in a special environment that the zoo designed to mimic their natural habitat.
E) the zoo currently houses their lions in a special environment designed to mimic their natural habitat.

Rather than confining...housing =====>parallelism

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 11:31
sguptashared wrote:
I agree with most of you that the choice should be C. But here is my doubt about "C":

There are two nouns present in this sentence before second "IT": zoo and environment. Isn't it ambiguous?

I have the same question. Does someone have a convincing reason?

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8174 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 02:38
When you have such doubts, take the replacement test.

Original C) the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.

Modified: 1.the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that the zoo specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
Modified: 2. the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that the environment specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
Which is more logical now? You can see there is no need for any ambiguity doubt. In C, the ‘it’ does refer to the zoo only.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 02:55
Hey,

first of all thanks for your explanation. But, logically I agree with you. For me it is also clear but the OA often say, "we dont know the precedence. It is unclear and can be understood in a funny and ironic way." So i never know when logic tells me its not ambigious. and when i have to chose another option because it is not clear. Do yuo understand my problem?^^

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 09:12
If its C, can somebody tell me whether is it possible for an adverb- 'currently' to modify gerund-'Housing' ??

"Fight the HARDEST battle that anyone can ever imagine"

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 01:13
mrsmarthi wrote:

the problem with b is that b make no sense
environment in which animals live in a mimic.

there are two "in". no sense.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 01:42
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sguptashared wrote:

Your observation is correct. However please note that a subject pronoun in one clause often refers to a noun in subject position in another clause. In general, subject nouns make strong antecedents for subject pronouns, even when there is another eligible noun in the predicate portion of the other clause. In such cases, the sentence may be accepted as a correct answer although there may be a sight pronoun ambiguity. Nonetheless please ensure that there are other more serious errors in the other answer choices and there is no other problem with the sentence. Hope this explanation helps.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 02:05
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
snorkeler wrote:
If its C, can somebody tell me whether is it possible for an adverb- 'currently' to modify gerund-'Housing' ??

The main verb of the sentence is is housing. The adverb currently refers to this verb correctly.

Now consider the following two cases:

Case I: modifying a gerund: You may use an adjective to modify a gerund to emphasize the nominal aspect (i.e., it is a noun). e.g., His quick thinking saved the accident.

Case II: modifying a present participle: Alternatively you may use an adverb if you want to modify the action aspect of the present participle. e.g. The horse ran across the field breathing heavily.

In your post, it appears that you meant that a present participle (rather than a gerund) is being modified. In that case, it is alright to use an adverb.

Hope this explanation clarifies your question.

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 10:32
Currently is modifying not just ‘housing’, but ‘is housing’. ‘Is housing’ is a present progressive tense verb. ; So, there is nothing unusual about an adverb modifying the verb within which is it is housed.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Schools: AGSM '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2014
GPA: 3.96
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 11:31
mrsmarthi wrote:

Would any one please explain me why "option B" is wrong.
Why it is awkward and wordy ??

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Re: Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2016, 11:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap