Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: RE-Application vs UCLA & NYU [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb10 wrote:
Hi JF,

Thanks for the insight.

So a few things that may help your analysis and thereby recommendation:

1) I am currently 29. I will only be in this role for 18 months. which means if I re-apply, I will re-apply this September (Age 30) and Matriculate in September 2018 (Age 31) and Graduate May 2020 (Age 33).
2) If I am not too old, I would like to re-apply. I believe I have a strong enough candidacy to get thru at Kellogg, Booth, Tuck or Ross. And being in round 1 should help - correct?
3) The new job as MD/Country manager would be huge jump in terms of responsibilities and impact - just to give you a analogy - I would be 5-8 years younger than anyone else in this position industry wide, I'd be responsible for establishing offices, hiring talent, setting up infrastructure for engineering/documentation/drafting work and even testing facility. There would be targets and bonuses set up for new sales and market expansion - and the revenue generated from my impact would be directly associated with my work, instead of a knock-on affect as is typically the case with mid-management roles.

It's going to be hard to say no to this job tbh. But I will if I can determine I can't get into Kellogg and Booth aapplying at the age of 30 (matriculating 31).

What do you think?

bb10

Well, it seems to me you already have your answer in hand :)

Given the huge advantages of being MD, and the fact that you will be 30, I feel like you can safely go for the job with a concrete plan to go for the MBA after the 18 months. Which is nice becuase it also gives you almost two years to WORK on making an amazing profile and filling in any gaps.

You can get into Kellogg at age 31, so don't worry about that :)

Good luck! And let me know what you ultimately decide,
Best,
JF
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Really tough situation here. I firmly believe in going to a place that you are really excited about. It seems you may not be really excited about matriculating to NYU/UCLA and feel you may be able to secure admission to a more prestigious school next year. You know the risks of foregoing an offer but if you don't feel excited about your options your new work experience will certainly boost your profile. I would also re-evaluate the rest of your profile to determine if there are any other issues that may have prevented you from success at your other target schools
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
RE-Application vs UCLA & NYU [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bb10 wrote:
Hello all,

I have admits from UCLA and NYU - dinged after interview at Booth and Kellogg. No interviews from Tuck and Ross. All this was ROUND 2 - so I believe I may have a better chance in round 1.

but I have a potential offer as MD/Country Manager for a Oil and Gas company - I would be setting up operations in India.

Obviously its a really big opportunity but I will be 30 this year (2017). if i re-apply, i will 31 at Matriculation. The new job would be huge interms of the impact i can create and potentially strengthen my candidacy - but would be age work significantly against me?

Any and all opinions welcome!!

Wow, this is indeed a pickle. 31 at matriculation is kind of borderline but perfectly fine for European schools. Do you have any interest in INSEAD, LBS, IMD? They are warmer to older applicants. If you are not seeking to switch careers, I think you would be a decent candidate for the Kellogg 1-year program (and other 1-year programs). And part-time programs if you're open to that.

Of course, you would still be viable for all schools (outside of GSB & HBS) but it would just be a bit more challenging. Would just make sure to hedge your bets with European schools and/or 1-year programs.

The primary concern with age is recruitment. Most recruiters (MBB/IB) feel weird paying a 28 year old the same as a 32 year old BUT if you have your post-MBA situation already sorted or can demonstrate how/why you would be attractive to post-MBA employers then that changes things a lot. The schools just want to make sure you are employable for your target post-MBA job.

Also, do keep in mind, age is just one part of your profile. If you can obtain some solid social impact exposure in India or use the time to do something amazing that would offset the age entry.

If you are looking to change fields entirely, I think I would pass on the job. If this work experience connects dots to your future career goal, then I would do it, and in your apps, make sure to articulate who you plan to work for post-MBA and why they would want you.

Of course, you can accept UCLA or NYU. You might have a better chance in Round 1 if you are from a traditionally overrepresented applicant group. If you did not work with an admissions consultant before, I think you would have significantly better odds if you did next time around.

If not, however - not sure it would make sense to pass on UCLA or NYU unless you believe this opportunity will be a sure win and set you apart on several levels. IF these schools make sense with your overall targeted field/career trajectory with regards to special programs and recruitment.

Hope this helps!
Farrell
Retired Moderator
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
bb10 wrote:
Hello all,

I have admits from UCLA and NYU - dinged after interview at Booth and Kellogg. No interviews from Tuck and Ross. All this was ROUND 2 - so I believe I may have a better chance in round 1.

but I have a potential offer as MD/Country Manager for a Oil and Gas company - I would be setting up operations in India.

Obviously its a really big opportunity but I will be 30 this year (2017). if i re-apply, i will 31 at Matriculation. The new job would be huge interms of the impact i can create and potentially strengthen my candidacy - but would be age work significantly against me?

Any and all opinions welcome!!

Wow, this is indeed a pickle. 31 at matriculation is kind of borderline but perfectly fine for European schools. Do you have any interest in INSEAD, LBS, IMD? They are warmer to older applicants. If you are not seeking to switch careers, I think you would be a decent candidate for the Kellogg 1-year program (and other 1-year programs). And part-time programs if you're open to that.

Of course, you would still be viable for all schools (outside of GSB & HBS) but it would just be a bit more challenging. Would just make sure to hedge your bets with European schools and/or 1-year programs.

The primary concern with age is recruitment. Most recruiters (MBB/IB) feel weird paying a 28 year old the same as a 32 year old BUT if you have your post-MBA situation already sorted or can demonstrate how/why you would be attractive to post-MBA employers then that changes things a lot. The schools just want to make sure you are employable for your target post-MBA job.

Also, do keep in mind, age is just one part of your profile. If you can obtain some solid social impact exposure in India or use the time to do something amazing that would offset the age entry.

If you are looking to change fields entirely, I think I would pass on the job. If this work experience connects dots to your future career goal, then I would do it, and in your apps, make sure to articulate who you plan to work for post-MBA and why they would want you.

Of course, you can accept UCLA or NYU. You might have a better chance in Round 1 if you are from a traditionally overrepresented applicant group. If you did not work with an admissions consultant before, I think you would have significantly better odds if you did next time around.

If not, however - not sure it would make sense to pass on UCLA or NYU unless you believe this opportunity will be a sure win and set you apart on several levels. IF these schools make sense with your overall targeted field/career trajectory with regards to special programs and recruitment.

Hope this helps!
Farrell

Thanks Farrell.

My long term desire is to have my own consultancy - focused on engineering and servicing a variety of technical domains : energy (oil&gas and solar), automation (control systems and machine learning) and digital (app development and fintech). This past year I have made a few strides into the verticals beyong oil and gas - this new job would help me further deepen my engagement with energy companies in India - set up engineering offices, testing facilities etc.

I know how to do this job and I know the technology well - it feeds into my desire to set up my own firm in the future - so that's also a good fit.

For MBA - my original pitch was MBB consulting - for personal branding, exposure to business related challenges in varied industry verticals and professional growth - but really - with the new job and being another year older, I may not be such a good fit (as you mentioned).

TBH, I am not sure if MBA is necessary to set up my career, but it does help. I am inclined to take this job and pitch a more nuanced goal (rather than MBB) - maybe even show that I can go into entrepreneurship straight out of school (although I understand this is a big risk).

Not sure if any of that made sense, my brain is now sushi - lol. This past year I have focussed on getting into B-school. But missing out on Kellogg, Booth, Tuck AND Ross was quite dissapointing.

THe question remains the same - new job vs UCLA/NYU? If the short term goal is to work in MBB (flexible goal) and short term is build my own firm.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
[/quote]

Good sir,
I don't think there is a clear and easy answer here. I mean MBA vs. Job. An MBA will give you the perspective you need to do what you wish, and will definitely broaden both your network and your horizons, but I don't know how to compare that from the advantage your job would bring. And honestly, YOU are probably the best placed person to know that as you have access to all the details. Two things which might help out though: Given your age you are at a crucial point for US MBAs. If you stick it out with your job three years, it may be a bit on the late side for US MBAs. However on the other hand, Asian and European MBAs would still be well within range.

The one thing I'm not sure if that if you take this job it will give you such a colossal advantage. It might if there is some MAJOR leadership opportunities available for you (which DOES seem to be the case) Otherwise, even if it is a move up, your profile is likely to stay similar.

And anyhow you'll always have EMBAs open to you :)

Let me know if you have any other thoughts or questions,
Best,
JF[/quote]

Hi JF,

Thanks for the insight.

So a few things that may help your analysis and thereby recommendation:

1) I am currently 29. I will only be in this role for 18 months. which means if I re-apply, I will re-apply this September (Age 30) and Matriculate in September 2018 (Age 31) and Graduate May 2020 (Age 33).
2) If I am not too old, I would like to re-apply. I believe I have a strong enough candidacy to get thru at Kellogg, Booth, Tuck or Ross. And being in round 1 should help - correct?
3) The new job as MD/Country manager would be huge jump in terms of responsibilities and impact - just to give you a analogy - I would be 5-8 years younger than anyone else in this position industry wide, I'd be responsible for establishing offices, hiring talent, setting up infrastructure for engineering/documentation/drafting work and even testing facility. There would be targets and bonuses set up for new sales and market expansion - and the revenue generated from my impact would be directly associated with my work, instead of a knock-on affect as is typically the case with mid-management roles.

It's going to be hard to say no to this job tbh. But I will if I can determine I can't get into Kellogg and Booth aapplying at the age of 30 (matriculating 31).

What do you think?

bb10
GMAT Club Bot