Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [2]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]
tonyjyoo wrote:
What are your tips/strategies on RC?

First, keep things simple. Much have been written on how to analyze RC and so on - but, keep things straight and simple. Take the Kaplan GMAT Premiere and read the Kaplan strategies - I am a huge fan of kaplan, specially their CR and RC. The only problem with kaplan strategies is to note the "topic..scope.." and so on. While I understand its immensely helpful to get the topic and scope, and make a proper distinction between purpose and main point - to note so many things after the passage is very time consuming. So, get their strategies on how to read and keywords and all, but refrain from the later part. Better, if you can get a sense of topic/scope as you practice.

While doing questions, there are two basic principle:
1. for inference and detail questions, never ever select an answer choice without referring back to passages. Never ever.
I will reiterate what I have written above - the source of difficulty is not with the content but with the answer choices. For instance, refer the last passage of OG verbal Review 2016 ( micro-wear pattern). Simple passage... Right. Then move on #99 and #103.. its impossible to solve without going back to the passage. And the fact that these both are difficult problems is not because of the content of the passage, but how close the answer choice is. Its also important to note the placement of answer choices - In #99, the correct one is placed at E, while two other trap answer choices are placed above it. This same kind of reasoning is also applicable in CR - Its always the answer choices, and its very placement, that make a CR question difficult, not the stimulus itself.
2. For global questions, never ever select an answer choice referring back to passages.

If you can control you temptation and stick to these two, you are all set. Cheers !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]
Can u please elaborate more on the placement of the answer choices

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vishwajeet2015 wrote:
Can u please elaborate more on the placement of the answer choices
The GMAT item writers make an effort to identify the types of errors test takers are likely to make, and then they build options around those errors. Sometimes these options are placed near the correct option. I don't know if that's on purpose or if it just turns out that way with some questions (random ordering of options?), but it could be enough to "distract" a test taker.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]