It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 10:46

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reading Comprehension Question from Economist GMAT Tutor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor

Kudos [?]: 126 [1], given: 3

Premium Member
Reading Comprehension Question from Economist GMAT Tutor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Existentialism, a philosophical movement introduced by thinkers such as Nietzsche and Kierkegaard, purports that life has no intrinsic meaning except that which humans create. Existentialists deny the existence of an omnipotent higher power; indeed they believe that each person is his own highest power. Each person has complete freedom to make decisions, but is completely responsible for their consequences. It is thus that each man defines the nature of his existence. Such weighty freedom inspires angst, the dread that results from the realization that one is always completely responsible for the consequences of one's actions.

Although it might seem that the fundamental tenets of existentialism preclude the existence of God, this is not necessarily the case. Theistic existentialism, predominantly Christian but found in every major religion, posits the existence of God, and that God created human beings with the power to choose their own destiny. Although theistic existentialism agrees with atheistic existentialism on the fundamental point that humans cannot comprehend the absurdity of our meaningless world, it draws a drastically different conclusion. While atheistic existentialists believe that in order to cope with the inherent absurdity of life humans must create meaning in a meaningless world, theistic existentialists believe that humans must make a leap of faith and let their faith in God give meaning to their lives.

What is the purpose of the second paragraph in relation to the passage as a whole?

a. The second paragraph provides details about the religious thoughts of Nietzsche and Kierkegaard mentioned in the first paragraph.
b. The second paragraph emphasizes the incompatibility between existentialist philosophy and theistic belief.
c. The second paragraph challenges the contention made in the first paragraph that all existentialists deny the existence of an all-powerful God.
d. The second paragraph expands on existentialist views about God, as suggested by the first paragraph.
e. The second paragraph discusses a facet of existentialism, religion, which is not mentioned in the first paragraph.

What may be inferred from the agreement between theistic and atheistic existentialists?

A. Theistic existentialists, who believe in God, do not find meaning in the world. This implies that they believe that God, who created the world (in religious eyes), did not put meaning into it by design.
B. All existentialists believe that it is impossible for humans to find meaning in the world.
C. Theistic existentialists find meaning in the world more easily than atheistic existentialists because the former believe in God.
D. Atheistic existentialists came to accept some of the ideas of theistic existentialists.
E. The ideas of theistic existentialists are closer to those of atheistic existentialists than to those of other religious believers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
To answer this Inference question correctly, we need to read the third sentence of the second paragraph, in which we learn that atheistic (who, as we can tell by their name, do not believe in God) and theistic (who do believe in God) existentialists agree that the world has no inherent meaning and that humans will never be able to understand its workings. Answer A.

Which of the following is the most similar to the relationship between Christians and theistic existentialism?

A. the southern hemisphere and the Earth
B. black piano keys and white piano keys
C. a coalition majority and a parliament
D. a medicine's active and inactive ingredients
E. Hispanics and the population of the United States

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This is an Application question. To find what the author has to say about Christianity and theistic existentialism, we need to use our Initial Reading, which guides us to the second paragraph. In the second sentence, we find that theistic existentialism consists mostly of Christians, even though people of other religions also subscribe to this philosophy. Answer C.
A coalition majority is the largest part of a parliament.

Which of the following is stated in the passage as a belief of atheistic existentialism?

A. A leap of faith is required to create meaning in one's life.
B. Although the world is absurd, meaning can be created by a combination of human effort and faith.
C. There is no God.
D. Life, by its very nature, lacks sense and order.
E. People are powerless to change their existence.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer D: We know from the passage that atheistic existentialists believe that life is inherently (or, by it's very nature) absurd (lacks sense and order).

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Last edited by reto on 07 Sep 2015, 12:24, edited 3 times in total.
added question

Kudos [?]: 126 [1], given: 3

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [6], given: 7

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Re: Reading Comprehension Question from Economist GMAT Tutor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
Existentialism, a philosophical movement introduced by thinkers such as Nietzsche and Kierkegaard, purports that life has no intrinsic meaning except that which humans create. Existentialists deny the existence of an omnipotent higher power; indeed they believe that each person is his own highest power. Each person has complete freedom to make decisions, but is completely responsible for their consequences. It is thus that each man defines the nature of his existence. Such weighty freedom inspires angst, the dread that results from the realization that one is always completely responsible for the consequences of one's actions.

Although it might seem that the fundamental tenets of existentialism preclude the existence of God, this is not necessarily the case. Theistic existentialism, predominantly Christian but found in every major religion, posits the existence of God, and that God created human beings with the power to choose their own destiny. Although theistic existentialism agrees with atheistic existentialism on the fundamental point that humans cannot comprehend the absurdity of our meaningless world, it draws a drastically different conclusion. While atheistic existentialists believe that in order to cope with the inherent absurdity of life humans must create meaning in a meaningless world, theistic existentialists believe that humans must make a leap of faith and let their faith in God give meaning to their lives.

What is the purpose of the second paragraph in relation to the passage as a whole?

a. The second paragraph provides details about the religious thoughts of Nietzsche and Kierkegaard mentioned in the first paragraph.
b. The second paragraph emphasizes the incompatibility between existentialist philosophy and theistic belief.
c. The second paragraph challenges the contention made in the first paragraph that all existentialists deny the existence of an all-powerful God.
d. The second paragraph expands on existentialist views about God, as suggested by the first paragraph.
e. The second paragraph discusses a facet of existentialism, religion, which is not mentioned in the first paragraph.

Methodology to answer:

Notes:

Para 1: Existentialism -life is what humans create, no higher power. individuals are responsible for their actions.

Para 2: Desrcibes two forms of existentialism, 1 that believes in God and the other which does not. Different way of coping by these two forms.

Option Elimination:

a. Second para does not talk anything about Nietzche and Kiekegaard. This is eliminated even without a second glance at the passage.
b. theistic belief does take existentialism into account. They are not averse...this is eliminated.
c. this could be a viable answer, let's keep it in.
d. This is out rightly wrong, eliminated without a second glance.
e. weak probable option, let's keep it in just to see...

Fact Verification:

If I can prove C by going pointing out the facts in the passage, I have my answer. Otherwise it will be E. Glance quickly to find if the passage mentions anything about God. It does! Contention in A: "Existentialists deny the existence of an omnipotent higher power;" from para A and we know para B opposes this view:
" While atheistic existentialists believe that in order to cope with the inherent absurdity of life humans must create meaning in a meaningless world, theistic existentialists believe that humans must make a leap of faith and let their faith in God give meaning to their lives."

Therefore answer option C.

Pro Tip:

While practising I would recommend doing such questions in strictly timed conditions. For a passage and a single question like this one could use around 3 minutes for the passage and a minute or so for the q. This question should be ideally done within 4:30 at ANY cost!

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Kudos [?]: 76 [6], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 259

MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 20:07

Just remember the purposes as a whole> What role it play in the whole passage
Let's start

What religious thoughts. Moreover details of these thoughts..!!! :!:> Also they just introduced Existentialism.
Also it does not talks about Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.

It do states different opinions and emphasizing is detailing which is not dr.
This option states a valid point but as i mentioned at the starting the purpose of the passage as a whole

Bingo..!!
The first passage mentions " Existentialists deny the existence of an omnipotent higher power(GOD), this is not necessarily the case"
See the contrast as this options sums up the entire idea of 2nd para as a whole.

No way it opposes. dr is a contrast

Facet is one aspect
Now we are talking about the existence of God and not about the religion and it's nowhere mentioned or state.
This information can not be inferred

Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 259

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Schools: Molson '19
GMAT Date: 12-06-2014
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 04:44
please help if i'm wrong ..

1) C
2) D
3) dont know (please help with the strategy to solve this question)
4)D

Regards
be the change you wanna see!!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 03:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Re: Reading Comprehension Question from Economist GMAT Tutor   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2017, 03:53

Reading Comprehension Question from Economist GMAT Tutor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap