Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 29 Mar 2017, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wisconsin (Madison) vs. Emory

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Real Estate - Wisconsin vs Emory

• 50% [3]
  • 50% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Real Estate
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Wisconsin (Madison) vs. Emory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 11:54
Hello everyone,

I have applied to schools to pursue an MBA with a focus in real estate. I also already have a Master's degree in a related field, so I am paying off student loans and would like to keep my MBA costs as low as possible.

I have been accepted to Wisconsin, which with in-state tuition is effectively like a "50% scholarship" for others from elsewhere and also been given a 25% scholarship from that. I've also been accepted to Emory with a 75% scholarship and awarded an additional international travel stipend. Tuition, after awards, will roughly be the same price. Wisconsin is a very strong school in real estate (stronger than Emory), though its business school is not as highly ranked as Emory overall. Emory is looking to increase its presence in non-traditional MBA areas such as real estate and its overall rank is quite appealing, but there would be greater uncertainty regarding recruiting for real estate careers and I would likely be limited to the deep south with respect to jobs. Wisconsin would place for jobs primarily within the Great Lakes region and a few other major cities mainly to the west.

Does anyone have any advice or insights to share to help me in making a decision? Thanks.

---Updated with additional offers from both schools---
Intern
Intern
B

Re: Wisconsin (Madison) vs. Emory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 13:37
Edit - Both schools have unexpectedly provided a little bit more (in that I did not ask for anything), in the form of either tuition or other awards with financial implications. Still quite torn on my decision.

Is this "sweetening of the pot" typical as it gets closer and closer to deposit deadlines?
Director
Director
S
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 111

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 14:49
Congrats for acceptance with those significant scholarships. :-D

While I usually Emory would be an clear advice given the 75% scholarship with reputable name, I will deviate in you case. The whole aim of doing MBA is to turn your education into a dream job with good salary. The career report of Emory does not show any employment in real estate. It seems categorized under others which is around 4%. While in Wisconsin's report in 2015 & 2016, the real estate percentages are 4% & 8% respectively. Another important is the location. Both serves totally two different territories. It is up to you where you want to live and work. You can still contact Emory's career office to check with them or attend admit weekends to take final decisions.

I have quick question. When did Emory's declare your scholarship? is it in same day of announcement? or week after the announcement?

Good luck
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 15:07
devereaux110 wrote:
Edit - Both schools have unexpectedly provided a little bit more (in that I did not ask for anything), in the form of either tuition or other awards with financial implications.

They both clearly like you. I recommend negotiating for more. See if you can move the needle to full-tuition + stipend at either program.

This could help you decide, especially since the financials are important to your decision as you already mentioned.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 18:24
Mo2men wrote:
I have quick question. When did Emory's declare your scholarship? is it in same day of announcement? or week after the announcement?

Thanks! I was awarded the scholarship on the same day of the admit announcement. Info was provided in a phone message, and then I received the official letter about two to three weeks afterward.

I already know Madison is a great place to live, but I am not quite so sure about Atlanta and I am certainly concerned that Emory is currently less established in real estate. However, if Emory is successful in increasing its prestige in real estate, I feel like I would be at the leading edge of that accomplishment and would benefit from that growth and, generally, the Goizueta brand overall. I am torn between the quality of Wisconsin's Graaskamp Center for Real Estate and a "fear of missing out" with Goizueta.
Director
Director
S
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 111

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 05:30
devereaux110 wrote:

I already know Madison is a great place to live, but I am not quite so sure about Atlanta and I am certainly concerned that Emory is currently less established in real estate. However, if Emory is successful in increasing its prestige in real estate, I feel like I would be at the leading edge of that accomplishment and would benefit from that growth and, generally, the Goizueta brand overall. I am torn between the quality of Wisconsin's Graaskamp Center for Real Estate and a "fear of missing out" with Goizueta.

Thanks for your reply.

I sense that you a re leaning toward Emroy for its name and prestigious program. Therefore, I think it is worth travelling either in admit weekend or anything time to visit the career office in Emory and discuss your options with real estate on face to face meeting rather than emails and phones. Ask them to put you in contact with students in second year who share you the same desired job. I heard from many students and reports that Emory's career office is doing a great job. You find this advice strange but you actually do mba once in your life and will affect your future at least on short term. So, exert little effort and paying little expenses will give huge exposure and reach final destination calmly.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 13:05
teleste wrote:
This could help you decide, especially since the financials are important to your decision as you already mentioned.

Do you think asking for more would be appropriate, given they've both already offered something extra since the original admit, even without me asking? I don't want to come off as ungrateful and sour what otherwise seem to be positive opinions of me as a potential enrollee.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stanford '20
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.99
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 14:09
I'm from wisconsin, and I think it's a steal if you want to end up in the area (which imo is very nice, but cold). If it places better for real estate, it also seems to be a better fit. I don't think you can go really wrong with either though. You'll probably get a great education at both for very little money. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 16:28
devereaux110 wrote:
Do you think asking for more would be appropriate, given they've both already offered something extra since the original admit, even without me asking? I don't want to come off as ungrateful and sour what otherwise seem to be positive opinions of me as a potential enrollee.

I definitely think it is appropriate. Perhaps even more appropriate in your case than for the average candidate. The fact that they already upped your offer without any push from you signals that they like you. You won't come off as ungrateful if you are polite and tactful in your approach. It is possible to do this and still firmly go for an improved offer. This is how business works. No doubt MBA programs understand this. (They all even teach Negotiation classes!)

The worst thing that can happen is the business schools will say 'no'. The only way to know if they're willing to play ball is to pursue it. You owe it to your future loan-paying self to at least inquire...you're the one who will graduate with capitalized interest...not them.

There are many useful tips online how to go about this. Here's two I liked that came up in a quick Google search:
http://poetsandquants.com/2017/03/10/th ... olarships/
https://ulife.vpul.upenn.edu/careerserv ... practices/

Aside from these, you can even find helpful letter templates people have used that you can definitely customize in your own words to meet your own circumstances.

Good luck!
Re: Wisconsin (Madison) vs. Emory   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2017, 16:28