Joined: 28 Jul 2012
, given: 9
Reapply to School? Rewrite GMAT? [#permalink]
28 Jul 2012, 09:45
I applied to last year and got straight ding from Stanford, Duke, Darden and ding after interview from Kellogg and Cornell. I have posted a few questions below, Would be great if I could get some help.
-Deloitte Consulting (Strategy & Ops) + Strategy roles in young Telecom & Internet companies
-hold undergrad and post grad (Telecom) from IIT Madras, India
-GPA 3/4 (better than average in the class, highly competitive class and school)
-2.3 yrs experience in Deloitte Consulting (Telecom & technology vertical, Strategy & Operation)
-5 months product management in a medium size mobile VAS player
-1.3 yrs experience in Telenor (A Multinational telecom player) as a business analyst to business head of two states, exposure to sales, marketing and customer care and ground operation
- for last 1 year in an online and mobile advertising company which was started in 2006, growing rapidly
-first 7 months in Mumbai (India) donning multiple hats of business analysis, marketing, pre-sales
-was given a new opportunity and shifted to Singapore 4 months back for launching the product in South-East Asia and over see the project management of integration process post acquisition of a company
- Good amount of Extra curricular activities in college (College captain for music for 2 yrs, national social service for 2 yrs, Extra mural lecture coordinator etc) but little work after the college
-Helped the company for campus recruitment
- Organizers (city chapter) for Global panIIT meet which happens once in a year in US or India in alternate years
-Took counseling sessions for poor kids (for short duration)
- GMAT: 710 (M 50, V35, 5)
-Though I don't belong to the competitive pool of Indian IT Male, I do come from Indian Eng Male background. During feedback session from Darden (which btw had only 1 essay question + 3 small essays last year), said that my GMAT was not their favorite aspect and hence I should look for further improvement. My question is, which option should I exercise
1. Start Preparing for GMAT now, write it by mid-Sep and then apply to couple of schools in R1
2. Apply for my low schools in R1 by mid-Sep. Write GMAT in Nov and then apply for remaining schools in R2 (including Top schools)
3. Don't write GMAT at all and apply for my 2 safe choices + 1 mid choice first in R1 and then for remaining later in R2
4. Any other suggestion?
- if two schools are identical for me in terms of suitability, which one should I apply to, one where was rejected last year or one where I had not applied. Do school look at the reapplication more favorably or turn them down more easily
-I am aiming college from 4th to 15th rank. How realistic is the aim, especially after disappointing last year?
- Any suggestions on the split of High/Medium/Low schools?
Thanks in advance,