Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Reapplying for F2011 (even though you were admitted) Thread [#permalink]
Kudos
One thing to keep in mind, if you turn down USC, UCLA and UCSD this year because you want to reapply to Stanford and Haas, you can be 99.99% sure you won't get admitted to those 3 schools again next year. Once you turn down a school it's a big sign that you're not really interested in going there, and schools aren't interested in admitting students that aren't interested in them. You can try to ask for a deferral, but those are exceptionally rare and usually only given out for unforeseen and unforeseeable circumstances.

For me, the question is why did you apply to USC, UCLA or UCSD if you weren't prepared to attend any of those schools?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Jerz wrote:

For me, the question is why did you apply to USC, UCLA or UCSD if you weren't prepared to attend any of those schools?

+1.

when i'm considering where to apply to this fall, my big question for each school (target and safety included) is going to be: If _____ is the ONLY school i get accepted to, will i still want to go there?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I should have done that but I honestly had zero clue about my chances.

I literally applied to schools last minute and didn't consult a single person, forum or anything.

I feel like I have learned so much amazing stuff from gmatclub that I'd like to put that knowledge to good use and give my dream one more shot.

I'm pretty surprised that I'm getting such negative feedback and no one else has done this.

mba2013 wrote:
Jerz wrote:

+1.

when i'm considering where to apply to this fall, my big question for each school (target and safety included) is going to be: If _____ is the ONLY school i get accepted to, will i still want to go there?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Kudos
Its interesting that you're getting somewhat negative feedback on this.
I know two people who were in your situation in the recent years. One of them got into Tuck after waitlist but decided not to take it and applied to several schools this year again. No news yet.
Another one got into Ross for Fall 2008 but decided not to take it and ended up as reapplicant at Booth in Fall 2009.

So yes, it does happen and sometimes it does work out.

For everyone wondering why people apply to places they don't want to go... from talking to my friends it seems like they got into this situation by:
1. getting panicky in the app season about not getting in anywhere... so they apply to "safety schools" without really thinking through that term.
2. Not researching the schools beforehand. They apply because they heard good things but didn't figure it if it really was the best fit for them.

I learned "do not apply to places you do not want to go to." Trust me, I was so close to putting in apps for schools that I know I would not want to attend only because I so badly want to go back to school.

I think your mistake might have been applying unprepared to Stanford at all this year, not holding out! Its a super competitive school. Even with a well prepared app your chances might not be that good.
I would suggest seriously reading and digesting what people on this forum are saying to you. If you're sure you don't want to attend UCLA etc then yes hold out. But don't do it with the hopeful logic that "well I was good enough to get into UCLA with a rushed app, I guess I'm a shoo-in for Stanford now that I know what I'm doing".

You do your MBA once in your life. Be 100% sure you're happy with your choice and it is going to give you everything you're looking for.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
cyrez8, I can't speak for Haas EWMBA specifically, but my understanding is that there are fewer networking type events in most PT programs in comparison to their FT equivalents. As someone who is also in the Bay Area startup world, I think you can broaden your target list a bit to give yourself more shots for success next year. HBS and MIT Sloan are also well represented and respected in Bay Area tech. While admission at either is extremely tough, it is still better to have 4 really selective schools than just 2.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Actually it is Sloan
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
If you're already making excuses as to why you wouldn't attend UCLA this year (it being highly ranked but not in the Bay area), why even apply next year to the program?

I can totally see where you are coming from though. My dream school (Molson in Montreal) was the whole reason I took the GMAT, and it sunk to my last choice of the schools I applied to as the application process went on. BUT, I wouldn't apply next year again to them if I decided to try for Kellogg or Stanford in 2011.

On that note, this is a huge decision to make - of course if something doesn't feel right, you shouldn't go through with it. This is going to have a huge impact on your career. This isn't something to be taken lightly and if you do wanna try for Stanford or Berkeley next year, good luck to you!!!!

There's no reason to settle on something like this. You're not choosing between two apartments, you're choosing the next brick in your career path. If you go through with something and you hate it, that's it...

You know what's best for you. If it's not UCLA, then don't go!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I too will be applying next year even though I received some acceptances this year.

My situation was brought on by a dismal GMAT score that I was able to improve to a good score. I had applied to the best schools that my initial GMAT score would allow me to attain and was accepted into all of them.

Perhaps I should have aimed higher right off the bat -- I tend to be quite critical of myself and probably set my sights lower than I really was capable of. Anyway, I decided not to let the GMAT beat me, and I took it again -- raised my score by 100 points and was able to seriously look at schools I had wanted to go to from the beginning.

I still feel that my GMAT can improve, and with a long time to go before next years application process, I feel that raising my score even further should not be a problem. Pair that with the experience I gained from this years application process, and I feel that my chances are good for a happy outcome next year.

Northeastern was my 'it' school that I was accepted to this year -- shooting for UNC-Chapel Hill as my 'it' school next year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Schools:HEC Paris
Send PM
Kudos
formerlyknownas wrote:
Actually it is Sloan

*chokes on my muffin*

seriously? so...i'm guessing you're aiming for HBS?

sloan rejected me so fast they made my head spin. granted I've never liked MIT, and hated it even more after going to an information session and meeting alum, but I would still have attended... bc it's Sloan!

but i respect you for having guts.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I'm kind of torn on this subject. I do know there were some schools that I did apply to that I would be very very hard pressed to actually attend even though I got accepted.

I honestly think one issue a lot of people have is that your applying to UCLA again. If you really just don't want to go there ... don't go there.

It seems that location is your biggest issue more than anything else. Personally, I say you should open your choice of schools (I will admit that I hate the West Coast though), but I understand if that is the deciding factor. Also ... don't settle for Haas part-time. Go for the full experience. There is a reason you applied to them full time in the first place.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
formerlyknownas wrote:
Actually it is Sloan

I'm going to go ahead and assume you have a pretty compelling profile to get in at Sloan and also to give it another shot next year. I completely understand you not accepting the offer because of fit, but why was it the only school you applied to if you didn't really want to go.

I was actually the opposite. I knew I really really wanted to go to Sloan, but applied to 7 other schools. In the end, I kind of feel like I wasted money and time. If I was going to risk it all on one school, I would think that I really really liked that school.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
coakleym wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Actually it is Sloan

formerlyknownas, I just wanted to say I applaud your decision and had contemplated something similar myself briefly for a different school. I especially applaud your decision because you only applied to one excellent school and got in. You don't even know the extent of what's possible for your profile/interview skills. Good luck and ignore anyone who says this is a bad idea.

Also, cyrez8, you only get to do your MBA once. Don't settle for anything less than what you know you want. Also ignore anyone else who tries to flame you because they don't have the fortitude to go double or nothing next year.

I normally agree with you, but this time I really think you're wrong. I think there has to be a material change somewhere in the application that would change the percentages in your favor. By material change, I'm talking about a shift in what you're looking to do, a big boost in gmat score, a life altering award, huge promotion, etc. Without this change, it's very difficult to make an argument that you'll get in next year. Reapplicant acceptances rates just aren't very good.

There's a lot of risk involved, and yes, there is quite a bit of reward too. I think you lose the safety net of the schools that already admitted you, and you lose a year of post-mba earnings. You say not to settle for anything less than what you want, but you can't always get in where you'd like.

I'm not flaming anyone. I love the ballsyness of the whole idea. I kind of think of this the same way that I'd think of a semibluff in poker. You may end up with the best hand, or you might end up losing a lot of chips. It's definitely ballsy, but I don't know how successful the outcome will be. It seems like the numbers don't work out as much as I would need it to to make the same play.

Really though, I wish you both good luck with this, and I'm going to keep an eye out for both of you next year to see how it turns out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Solid comments. I'm 26 so not that old.

Also, I have a startup company and so holding off on my MBA for a year makes perfect sense for me to focus on this startup and build it to a point where embarking upon an MBA curriculum won't be detrimental to the startup's development. I don't think it is rare to apply to MBA programs and then realize that another year of WE would better prepare you for your MBA.

Lastly, I completely rushed my applications and my essays were pretty poor. I can do a lot better (with a much clearer story) and at least give myself a better shot at Haas. I learned SO MUCH this application period and from this forum that I'd like to put some of that knowledge to good use.

I'm a Bay Area native and want to return to the Bay which is THE place for entrepreneurism. I will also be applying to Haas's part-time program next year which I believe is a better fit and gives me a better chance at acceptance as well.

LetsGoMets wrote:
I have two thoughts on this, and I certainly don't mean any offense by either (note - My top 5 schools rejected me too, and I'm not thinking about reapplying)

Thought 1) Yes, Stanford is better than UCLA, but you're postponing your MBA by a year. Since you have a JD already, you're probably older than the average applicant (or at the very least equal in age), and if you do really need an MBA for what you want to do, I think you shouldn't hold off by a year. If you truly need the MBA for whatever your plans are, what do you plan to do this year, other than stress out about Stanford's application? It sounds like you're willing to burn a year of your life for a shot at a school you're a heavy underdog to get into.

Thought 2) Reapplicant admission percentages are low. On numbers alone, you're a decided underdog to get into either of the schools that rejected you. Sure your story might be better, but it's a fairly big risk. I don't think UCLA and USC are total shoe-ins after you turn them down (to not go to another school). You turn a school down to go to school somewhere else; it happens all the time. You turn a school down to reapply next year to give yourself 1 more shot at your dream school; it's rare and if anything shows you don't want to be at UCLA, USC, or UCSD (who probably will take you without issue). To me, it's a bit weird.

Anyway, Stanford was my dream school too, so I know where you're coming from. And after Stanford, I wanted to go to Chicago. For me, holding off by a year doesn't make any sense. I don't think I'd get in, and I'd piss off the schools that took me, so that I can use them as safety's next year... I want my MBA, I think I will help me for my career, and I don't think there's any value in waiting.

I think you need to think long and hard to prove that you'll get in next year, and that a UCLA MBA has significantly less value to your career path than a Stanford MBA. I was in LA 3 weeks ago - UCLA is a beautiful place. I wouldn't be so quick to turn my back on them.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone done this in year's past?

I thought JordinT was a reapplicant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
cyrez8 wrote:

Also, I have a startup company and so holding off on my MBA for a year makes perfect sense for me to focus on this startup and build it to a point where embarking upon an MBA curriculum won't be detrimental to the startup's development. I don't think it is rare to apply to MBA programs and then realize that another year of WE would better prepare you for your MBA.

Lastly, I completely rushed my applications and my essays were pretty poor. I can do a lot better (with a much clearer story) and at least give myself a better shot at Haas. I learned SO MUCH this application period and from this forum that I'd like to put some of that knowledge to good use.

I'm a Bay Area native and want to return to the Bay which is THE place for entrepreneurism. I will also be applying to Haas's part-time program next year which I believe is a better fit and gives me a better chance at acceptance as well.

Sorry, but I am still not convinced that you're not a brand-name "collector"... there are so many holes in your story but you have an early headstart... good luck with convincing the adcoms!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm on this forum to improve as an applicant and seek advice.

Could you please shed some more light on this "brand-name collector" stuff? Does that basically infer that I only want to go to Stanford/Haas b/c of the name?

Well Stanford has always been my dream because it is THE place for entrepreneurism. More importantly, however, I want to return to the Bay Area and establish my network within the Silicon Valley and have zero desires to stay in the LA area. Is that not a valid reason for trying for the Bay one more time?

tdave wrote:
cyrez8 wrote:

Sorry, but I am still not convinced that you're not a brand-name "collector"... there are so many holes in your story but you have an early headstart... good luck with convincing the adcoms!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
LetsGoMets wrote:
For someone who lists only Booth, Harvard and Wharton as their schools, I don't think it's fair to talk about collecting brand names. I'm not saying you don't have good reason to go to any of those schools, but as an applicant to only those 3 places, you should have some appreciation for a good brand.

Cyrez, if you can put good use to your time, then it might make sense, but if I were in your shoes, I'd settle in nicely in SoCal for two years and try to make the most of it. There's nothing stopping you from working in the Bay area during your internships and after school. Plenty of entrepreneurs have come from the schools you've been admitted to.

I have no desire to stay in Pittsburgh or Atlanta afterwards, but actually wanted to get out of NY for two years to build and develop new networks. I think that if you do hold out for a year, you should really try to network with Stanford MBA alums. They might be able to help you out as far as your business goes, and moreover, you'll know more about Stanford that might help you for your essays.

To me, it still doesn't seem like there's any equity in waiting.

Jerz hits the nail on the head: "the question is why did you apply to USC, UCLA or UCSD if you weren't prepared to attend any of those schools?"

I applied to just Booth/W/H because I had forced myself to consider only schools that I would actually attend if admitted. Thus, I never submitted my applications to Tuck, Stanford and Columbia. The issue here is not really about the brand-quality of schools s/he applied to in this cycle, it is the message s/he communicates by rejecting offers from USC, UCLA and UCSD to re-apply to Stanford and Haas (two schools that just happen to be higher on the ranking tables).

If Cyrez8 wanted to return to the Bay Area for the strong Silicon Valley networks and had "zero desires to stay in the LA area", why did s/he apply to USC, UCLA or UCSD in the first place?

Does one really need a brand-name MBA to be a good entrepreneur? I just can't wrap my mind around this story: too many holes.

Of course Cyrez8 has the right to do as s/he pleases but it's a bit disingenuous for her to come seeking "advice" with a story that does not hold up to close scrutiny.

Again, good luck with the process for the next cycle. May all your dreams come true!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2