It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 12:52
option A does not make sense at all.. I am not clear that question is talking about a same theory or two different theories.
Cause "theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies"
This is not possible ..how can a black hole be center of 100 billion other galaxies.
Therefor i think B is correct !!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 79

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 23:12
contacttoakhil wrote:
Economist wrote:
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

(A) that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of
(B) that a black hole lies at the Milky Way's center and
(C) that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center an
(D) of a black hole lying at the Milky Way's center and
(E) of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way and of

Set26-36

Milky Way is one of the galaxies I suppose (though not sure :-D)

So in my opinion author wants to say:

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory

that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and

[same black hole lies at center]of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

which can be written using option A. So thats why answer is A. But not a very good question :wink:

The problem with this explanation is that the same blackhole is expected to be at the center of the Milky Way as well as 100 billion other galaxies. Seems nonsensical, to be honest.
Can anyone explain the parallelism of A? What is the parallel structure here?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 84

Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2014, 05:03
mikemcgarry wrote:
venmic wrote:
can anyone explain detailed explanation for each of the ansvver choices please
Thanks

I am responding to a private message from venmic. I am happy to elaborate on this. :-)

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.
(B) that a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center and
(C) that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and
(D) of a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and

Rather that pick through each answer one at a time, let's attack this strategically, looking at splits. See this blog for more on this strategy:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sente ... trategies/

The first split is "that" vs. "of" at the very beginning. The phrase "a theory that A did B" is idiomatically correct. The phrase "a theory of A doing B" is inferior --- this construction will not be correct on the GMAT. Right away, (D) & (E) are out.

The phrase "a black hole lies ...." is active and direct, just what the GMAT likes --- we see this in (A) & (B). Meanwhile, (C) has the abominably indirect monstrosity "there is a black hole lying ...." On the GMAT SC, any time you have a choice of "[noun] [verb]" vs. "there is a [noun] [participle]", then every single time, the first will be correct and the second will be wrong. Here, we can eliminate (C) on these grounds.

Finally, we have the complex parallel construction at the end of the sentence:

....lies at the center
// of the Milky Way
and
// of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

We need these to prepositions in parallel --- we are talking about something at the center of both the Milky Way and other galaxies. That means we must construct the first part in parallel ---- so "Milky Way's center" is wrong because it violates the parallelism. We need "of the Milky Way and of" at the end of the underlined section, to complete the parallelism correct. Only (A) & (E) do this correctly, but we have already eliminated (E) for other reasons.

This leaves (A) as the only possible answer.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)

Thanks a lot Mike ( mikemcgarry ) for the awesome explanation, it cleared my doubts.

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 84

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.23

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 10:25
ritjn2003 wrote:
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center ofthe Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

A. that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of
B. that a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center and
C. that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center an
D. of a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and
E. of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way and of

Hi Guys,

I'm confused between A and B. Though I understood the explanation for A, here's my take on B.

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that
1. a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center
and
2. many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

Doesn't this also makes sense?

mikemcgarry daagh souvik101990

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8997 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 12:23
sannidhya wrote:
ritjn2003 wrote:
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center ofthe Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

Hi Guys,

I'm confused between A and B. Though I understood the explanation for A, here's my take on B.

and

Dear sannidhya,
I'm happy to respond. :-) There are many extra words in this sentence, and these extra words make the grammar hard to discern. Let's simplify.

...lie at the center of the Milky Way and of other galaxies. = correct: this is essentially what (A) has

...lie at the Milky Way's center and other galaxies. = this is essentially what (B) has

This latter construction is a logical failure. Where do the black holes lie?
(1) at the Milky Way's center = yes, that's fine
(2) at other galaxies = this is the problem

First of all, it's unidiomatic to say at other galaxies. Furthermore, it's logically incorrect: the black holes are in the centers of the other galaxies. Choice (B) changes the meaning and says this incorrect meaning in an idiomatically incorrect way. In other words, (B) is a disaster.

One important strategy for interpreting GMAT SC is what is some times called removing fluff. Often we can pare away extra detail and extra descriptive phrases, and this allows us to see the underlying grammatical relationships.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.23

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 13:53
mikemcgarry wrote:
sannidhya wrote:
ritjn2003 wrote:

Hi Guys,

and

Dear sannidhya,
I'm happy to respond. :-) There are many extra words in this sentence, and these extra words make the grammar hard to discern. Let's simplify.

...lie at the center of the Milky Way and of other galaxies. = correct: this is essentially what (A) has

...lie at the Milky Way's center and other galaxies. = this is essentially what (B) has

This latter construction is a logical failure. Where do the black holes lie?
(1) at the Milky Way's center = yes, that's fine
(2) at other galaxies = this is the problem

First of all, it's unidiomatic to say at other galaxies. Furthermore, it's logically incorrect: the black holes are in the centers of the other galaxies. Choice (B) changes the meaning and says this incorrect meaning in an idiomatically incorrect way. In other words, (B) is a disaster.

One important strategy for interpreting GMAT SC is what is some times called removing fluff. Often we can pare away extra detail and extra descriptive phrases, and this allows us to see the underlying grammatical relationships.

Hi mike,

I'm glad you responded.

However, I'm saying what if there are two findings.

1. black hole and where it lies
2. 100 billion other galaxies

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 10:02
sannidhya wrote:
Hi mike,

I'm glad you responded.

However, I'm saying what if there are two findings.

1. black hole and where it lies
2. 100 billion other galaxies

Dear sannidhya,
I'm happy to respond again. :-) My friend, with all due respect, I must tell you that you are misunderstanding the meaning of this sentence. Meaning trumps grammar. If a student doesn't understand the meaning of the sentence, then it makes it much harder for the student to understand the grammar of the sentence, because grammar depends on meaning, and the GMAT SC is as much about meaning as it is about grammar.

Here is the question again:
C. that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and

This sentence about a scientific theory, and this theory posits two things. The first point, as you correctly surmise, is that a black hole is at the center of our own galaxy, the Milky Way galaxy. The second point is NOT simply the existence of the other galaxies. This theory is NOT about the discovery of other galaxies. The second point is that a black hole exists at the center of each one of the billions of other galaxies. In other words, this is
. . . the theory that that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way galaxy and that a black hole also lies at the center of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.
That is factually what the sentence is saying, but that version is way too wordy. There are far too many words repeated in the parallel structure. We need to omit repeated words. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/
We can shorten that to:
. . . the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.
This is the OA, (A). Notice the repeated preposition "of" marks the parallelism.

Part of concision is dropping common words from the second branch of parallelism. It's always tricky to read a sentence in which these common words already have been dropped and to infer them as part of the meaning, but this is precisely what the GMAT SC asks students to do.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 23:17
even i chose B but closely observing gives us the exact glimpse of the sentence.
B says that black hole lies at centre of Milky way & other galaxies.( single black hole... lieing at centre of milky way & al galaxies...that mean single black hole is surrounded by milky way & other galaxies.)

A clearly rebuilds the given sentence that at the centres of each galaxy there is a blackhole.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 240

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 03:23
Turns out it is very hard to spot the parallel parts. Most folks read the sentence like this:

What is the initial non parallel part? -

Case-I

If that's the case look it doesn't match with either parallel part - a) that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way; b) of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

that+ that = incorrect
that + of = incorrect.

Case -II

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory

Parallel parts - a) that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way b) of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

The second parallel part doesn't make sense. - Recent findings lend strong support to the theory of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

Turns out the initial non parallel part is - Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center and two parallel parts are -
a) of the Milky Way
b) of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 240

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 02:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8355 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 08:03
The intention of the stimulus is to say that a black hole exists at the centre of not only the galaxy but also at the centre of many of the 100B galaxies. No other option can exist in practice. Secondly let’s look at the comparative parallelism in each of the choices.

(A) that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of --- correct parallelism that compares a hole at the center of Milky Way with a hole at the center of each of the many of the 100B galaxies.
(B) that a black hole lies at the Milky Way's center and --- faulty parallelism of comparison. This compares a hole at the centre of Milky Way with many of the galaxies, ignoring the center in the second part.
(C) that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and --- same as in B
(D) of a black hole lying at the Milky Way's center and --- 'of a black hole' is the wrong idiom. And comparison is faulty
(E) of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way and of --- 'of a black hole' is the wrong idiom.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8355 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 15:28
Mike, I have read the article through the link and got the main idea that Gmat will not test us in the ownership of the idea or theory but will do in the content of the idea or theory so It is correct to pick the answer choices with that followed the idea or the theory or any matches.
Please correct me if I misunderstood the article.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 09:38
hatemnag wrote:
Mike, I have read the article through the link and got the main idea that Gmat will not test us in the ownership of the idea or theory but will do in the content of the idea or theory so It is correct to pick the answer choices with that followed the idea or the theory or any matches.
Please correct me if I misunderstood the article.

Dear hatemnag,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I have posted several times in this thread and I have included many different links, depending on the point I was discussing in each post. I have absolutely no idea what link you followed or what idea you are trying to understand. My friend, you need to be clear, thoughtful, and conscientious in your questions. Tell me which article you read and what idea you are trying to understand. I don't recognize in what you are saying something that I have said, so I need to see to what you are referring.

Thank you.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 112

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 00:31
Adding to the train of thoughts regarding A vs. B:

One can say Center of the Milky way but not Milky way's center unless Milky way is a living object.
For instance, One can say end of summer but not summer's end

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 19:18
If we compare first few words of answer choices, we get a split between ‘that’ and ‘of’. If we read words before underline portion(recent findings………the theory), we are stating a theory, ‘that’ is required. Eliminate D and E.
If we compare last few words of remaining choices, we have split between ‘and of’ and ‘and’.
‘and’ demands parallel construction. In A, ‘center of the Milky way’ is parallel to ‘center of many…’.
In B and C, ‘many of the 100…’ is not parallel to ‘Milky Way’s centre’. Eliminate B and C. Correct answer is A.

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 19:37

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 265

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 08:16
egmat GMATNinja mikemcgarry

My query is: I want to confirm estimated is a verb-ed modifier here that modifies galaxies.

Sentence structure in (A):

Recent findings
lend strong support to the theory

that a black hole lies at the center
of the Milky Way and (parallel list 1)
of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe. (parallel list 2)

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 265

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8997 [1], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
egmat GMATNinja mikemcgarry

My query is: I want to confirm estimated is a verb-ed modifier here that modifies galaxies.

Sentence structure in (A):

Recent findings
lend strong support to the theory

that a black hole lies at the center
of the Milky Way and (parallel list 1)
of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe. (parallel list 2)

Dear adkikani,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

In that sentence, the word "estimated" is a past participle acting as a noun modifier, and it modifies "other galaxies." You are correct.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8997 [1], given: 113

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 421

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 18:24
Economist wrote:

Set26-36

"theory of +noun " dose exist in english but we need a logic combination which is realize by our common sense of this world not by a high point grammar.

theory of existence of the socialism
is correct sentence
but
theory of you, theory of the black hole
is not logic, making no sense.

so, d and e are gone

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 421

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 18:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 79 posts ] 

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap