It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 06:38
gmat4varun wrote:
I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?

Hi gmat4varun, that is referring to social phenomena.

All relative pronouns (such as that in this case) can refer to both singular or plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative pronouns, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 21:56
EducationAisle wrote:
gmat4varun wrote:
I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?

Hi gmat4varun, that is referring to social phenomena.

All relative pronouns (such as that in this case) can refer to both singular or plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative pronouns, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

If that is referring to social phenomena , then isn't it is wrong to use "THAT" instead of "WHICH" ?

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 23:31
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 04:02
EducationAisle wrote:
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.

I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 13:27
B - maintains SV agreement (are & phenomena) both are plural and go well with plural noun "emotions"

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9045 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 13:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmat4varun wrote:

Hello gmat4varun,

I apologize if my response seems intrusion. This is completely unintentional. :-)

The two sentences that you have presented in your post convey exactly the same meaning. There is no such rule that that must be used to refer to plural nouns and which must be used to refer to plural nouns.

Both that and which are noun modifiers and can refer to both singular and plural noun.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9045 [0], given: 335

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 02:55
egmat wrote:
gmat4varun wrote:

Hello gmat4varun,

I apologize if my response seems intrusion. This is completely unintentional. :-)

The two sentences that you have presented in your post convey exactly the same meaning. There is no such rule that that must be used to refer to plural nouns and which must be used to refer to plural nouns.

Both that and which are noun modifiers and can refer to both singular and plural noun.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

From the grammatical stand, B is the clear winner. I wanted to understand from the meaning standpoint.

Main meaning: Emotions are social phenomena.

Additional:

though one inseparable from bodily response.

A) though one inseparable -->one (emotion) inseparable from bodily response. Does this convey the meaning correctly? Don't we wish to present that emotions are inseparable from bodily response. I find the meaning here ambiguous. What I understood is that there exists any one such emotion which is inseparable from bodily response.

B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable --> social phenomena are inseparable from bodily response --> Makes sense to me.

I would like to understand your view.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Concentration: Economics, Marketing
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 11:27
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

can someone tell me, why is the "a" right after the verb "to be", NOT necessary

For me it sounds a little bit awkward to have:

that emotions are social phenomena that are inseparable

should it be, emotions are a social phenomena? thank you!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 04:44
"B" is the correct choice - subject verb agreement 'are'. "That are inseparable" is a correct expression.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2017, 04:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap