GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1028
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 22:31
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Sep 2016
Posts: 30
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 03:02
EducationAisle wrote:
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.



I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 942
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:27
B - maintains SV agreement (are & phenomena) both are plural and go well with plural noun "emotions"
_________________

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2768
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:56
gmat4varun wrote:


I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .



Hello gmat4varun,

I apologize if my response seems intrusion. This is completely unintentional. :-)

The two sentences that you have presented in your post convey exactly the same meaning. There is no such rule that that must be used to refer to plural nouns and which must be used to refer to plural nouns.

Both that and which are noun modifiers and can refer to both singular and plural noun.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 500
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 01:55
egmat wrote:
gmat4varun wrote:


I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .



Hello gmat4varun,

I apologize if my response seems intrusion. This is completely unintentional. :-)

The two sentences that you have presented in your post convey exactly the same meaning. There is no such rule that that must be used to refer to plural nouns and which must be used to refer to plural nouns.

Both that and which are noun modifiers and can refer to both singular and plural noun.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha



From the grammatical stand, B is the clear winner. I wanted to understand from the meaning standpoint.

Main meaning: Emotions are social phenomena.

Additional:

though one inseparable from bodily response.

A) though one inseparable -->one (emotion) inseparable from bodily response. Does this convey the meaning correctly? Don't we wish to present that emotions are inseparable from bodily response. I find the meaning here ambiguous. What I understood is that there exists any one such emotion which is inseparable from bodily response.

B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable --> social phenomena are inseparable from bodily response --> Makes sense to me.

I would like to understand your view.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Posts: 12
Location: Brazil
Concentration: Economics, Marketing
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:27
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

can someone tell me, why is the "a" right after the verb "to be", NOT necessary

For me it sounds a little bit awkward to have:

that emotions are social phenomena that are inseparable

should it be, emotions are a social phenomena? thank you!
Mannheim Thread Master
User avatar
S
Status: It's now or never
Joined: 10 Feb 2017
Posts: 191
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 03:44
"B" is the correct choice - subject verb agreement 'are'. "That are inseparable" is a correct expression.
_________________

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 142
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 07:41
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable - "Emotions" is plural. Use of "is" is incorrect. Eliminate.
(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable - Correct answer. "That" modifies the closest noun "social phenomenon". Modifier "including ....private" is correctly within the commas and modifying emotions.
(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable - No antecedent for those. Eliminate.
(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable - The dash (—) is a flexible punctuation mark that the GMAT occasionally employs. You can use a dash
as an emphatic comma, semicolon, or colon.
But in this sentence the modifier "including ...private" has a comma to start with so it should end also with the comma. Had dash been used to start this modifier than the dash in this answer choice would have been correct.
(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable - We see the parallalism marker "or" so personal or private should be in the correct answer choice.

After removing the fluff, we get "Emotions are social phenomenon that are inseparable from bodily response."
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 05:58
mcelroytutoring wrote:
668. Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those separable
D) private--are social phenomena but not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable



E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable
OG explains that "social phenomena not inseparable is awkward without a verb and a relative pronoun."
could you pls further explain what does it mean ?

can we put a singular noun after "are"?
e.g.C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those separable
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1339
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 02:20
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.


(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable


We need a "comma" to set off the VERB-ing modifier from the main clause, and also to connect the verb "are" with subject "emotions" properly.

"Emotions" is plural, so we need "are".

_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 13:18
gmat4varun

That is referring to phenomena. Now Plural of Phenomena is Phenomena and that's why in option B, the use of the plural verb "are" is correct.

mcelroytutoring Could you please confirm if the above reasoning is correct for the use of plural verb are? Appreciate it.
_________________

1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Oct 2016
Posts: 127
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 13:37
Rocket7 wrote:
gmat4varun

That is referring to phenomena. Now Plural of Phenomena is Phenomena and that's why in option B, the use of the plural verb "are" is correct.

mcelroytutoring Could you please confirm if the above reasoning is correct for the use of plural verb are? Appreciate it.


Just searched and found that "Phenomenon" is singular and "Phenomena" is plural. I also had doubt about "that" referent in the question but then used number/count logic, a thing can have different (say, 1,2, 3...) Phenomena....so its plural.
_________________

:-) Non-Allergic To Kudos :-)

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: Professional GMAT Tutor
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Posts: 671
Location: United States (CA)
Age: 38
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 14:50
Top Contributor
seed wrote:
Rocket7 wrote:
gmat4varun

That is referring to phenomena. Now Plural of Phenomena is Phenomena and that's why in option B, the use of the plural verb "are" is correct.

mcelroytutoring Could you please confirm if the above reasoning is correct for the use of plural verb are? Appreciate it.


Just searched and found that "Phenomenon" is singular and "Phenomena" is plural. I also had doubt about "that" referent in the question but then used number/count logic, a thing can have different (say, 1,2, 3...) Phenomena....so its plural.

Correct: "phenomenon" is singular and "phenomena" is plural. Similar to "criterion" and "criteria," as well as "medium" and "media."

"Something like a phenomenon..."

-L.L. Cool J.
_________________

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Oct 2016
Posts: 78
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 22:30
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 374
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 16:56
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question to see where we can narrow down wrong options to get to the correct answer quickly! To get started, here is the original question with major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable
(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

After a quick glance over the options, a few key differences pop out right away:

1. What to do after the word "emotions"
2. What to do after the word "phenomenon/phenomena"


Let's get started with #1 on our list: what to do after the word "emotions." It's clear from the original sentence that the phrase, "including those deemed personal or private" is a MODIFIER that is also acting as a non-essential clause. It is giving us more information about the word "emotions," but doesn't NEED to be in the sentence.

Whenever we deal with non-essential clauses or modifiers, they MUST be offset from the rest of the sentence somehow.You can do this by either putting commas before and after it, dashes before and after it, or put it inside parentheses. To make this easier to spot, I'm going to include the entire sentence with the different options added in. Let's see which sentences handle this non-essential clause correctly or not:

(A) Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social
phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

This option is INCORRECT for a few reasons. First, the phrase "including those deemed personal or private" isn't offset on both sides with commas. Second, the singular verb "is" doesn't match up to its plural subject "emotions."

(B) Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private, are social
phenomena that are inseparable from bodily response.

This option is CORRECT! It puts commas on both sides of the phrase to tell readers this is non-essential information! If you remove the non-essential clause, the rest of the sentence makes perfect sense without it!

(C) Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private are a social phenomenon but are not [color=#ff0000]those inseparable from bodily response.

This option is INCORRECT because it doesn't have commas on both sides of the non-essential phrase "including those deemed personal or private." There's also a problem with the word "those" later on in the sentence. It's not clear if "those" is referring to emotions or phenomenon. When a pronoun is too vague, it's likely an incorrect choice.

(D) Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private—are social phenomena but not separable from bodily response.

This option is also INCORRECT. Remember when I said you can offset non-essential clauses with commas, dashes, or parentheses? You can only use ONE method for each clause, and this sentence uses two (comma and dash).

(E) Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable from bodily response.

This option is INCORRECT, though not because of punctuation. Yes, it properly utilizes commas on both sides of the non-essential phrase. However, the non-essential phrase is overly wordy. Why say "also as private emotions" when simply saying "private" will do? We also have a problem with the phrase "not inseparable" changing the intended meaning. This changes the meaning of the sentence from "emotions are inseparable from bodily response" to "emotions are not inseparable from bodily response."

There you have it! Option B is the correct answer because it uses correct punctuation with non-essential modifiers and doesn't confuse readers to the intended meaning.



Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
_________________

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image

Image

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount


GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Mar 2015
Posts: 57
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 09:21
hi guys, I have a silly question regarding this sentence

that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon

emotions is a noun as per my understanding

and including is a verb-ing modifier but whenever V-ing modifier is modifying a noun it should not be separated by the comma


kindly correct me where i am wrong.
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 2203
Premium Member CAT Tests
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 17:10
1
shubham2312 wrote:
hi guys, I have a silly question regarding this sentence

that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon

emotions is a noun as per my understanding

and including is a verb-ing modifier but whenever V-ing modifier is modifying a noun it should not be separated by the comma


kindly correct me where i am wrong.

shubham2312 , your question is not at all silly!
In fact, it's a very good question.

"including" is an exception to the rules that govern what you call V-ing modifiers
V-ing modifiers are also called present participles, participial modifiers, verbING, and __ING modifiers

"including" always modifies a noun or noun-type word or phrase
(I cannot think of a single exception)

including in this context belongs to the "additive phrase" group.
Including is similar to the phrases as well as, in addition to, and along with

(1) Additive phrases modify nouns in that they add nouns to another noun.
-- In this sentence, including adds personal or private emotions to the general category emotions
-- Similar: Foods rich in the antioxidant lycopene, including tomatoes and apricots, have been studied extensively.

(2) Additive phrases are not part of the subject itself.
-- Because additive phrases are not part of the subject itself, they often make verbs sound odd.
-- Correct: Espen, along with Kristoffer, travels frequently from Norway to France.
[singular subject, singular verb, despite the presence of two people in the sentence]

(3) Additive phrases often are defined as prepositions
-- Do not worry about the part of speech. Just remember that
"including" is an odd and exceptional ____ING modifier.

The pattern in this sentence is typical.
". . . that emotions, including those deemed personal or private, are . . ."
plural noun + comma + INCLUDING + nouns/pronouns that belong to the same group as the plural noun

THIS post discusses additive phrases and uses "including" in one of the author's SC mock questions.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 25 Jul 2017
Posts: 94
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 17:27
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable
(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question


hi daagh / Other experts,

does not THAT in option B is modifying "Social Phenomenon" instead of intended "Emotions"
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2017
Posts: 15
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 19:21
emotions is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) need comma after private
(B) correct
(C) need comma after private
(D) - breaks the sentece from word emotion, wro g.
(E) or also as, wrong
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2018, 19:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, i

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.