Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Modifiersx   Subject Verb Agreementx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [2]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions [#permalink]
Rocket7 wrote:
gmat4varun

That is referring to phenomena. Now Plural of Phenomena is Phenomena and that's why in option B, the use of the plural verb "are" is correct.

mcelroytutoring Could you please confirm if the above reasoning is correct for the use of plural verb are? Appreciate it.

Just searched and found that "Phenomenon" is singular and "Phenomena" is plural. I also had doubt about "that" referent in the question but then used number/count logic, a thing can have different (say, 1,2, 3...) Phenomena....so its plural.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
seed wrote:
Rocket7 wrote:
gmat4varun

That is referring to phenomena. Now Plural of Phenomena is Phenomena and that's why in option B, the use of the plural verb "are" is correct.

mcelroytutoring Could you please confirm if the above reasoning is correct for the use of plural verb are? Appreciate it.

Just searched and found that "Phenomenon" is singular and "Phenomena" is plural. I also had doubt about "that" referent in the question but then used number/count logic, a thing can have different (say, 1,2, 3...) Phenomena....so its plural.

Correct: "phenomenon" is singular and "phenomena" is plural. Similar to "criterion" and "criteria," as well as "medium" and "media."

"Something like a phenomenon..."

-L.L. Cool J.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
hi guys, I have a silly question regarding this sentence

that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon

emotions is a noun as per my understanding

and including is a verb-ing modifier but whenever V-ing modifier is modifying a noun it should not be separated by the comma

kindly correct me where i am wrong.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shubham2312 wrote:
hi guys, I have a silly question regarding this sentence

that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon

emotions is a noun as per my understanding

and including is a verb-ing modifier but whenever V-ing modifier is modifying a noun it should not be separated by the comma

kindly correct me where i am wrong.

shubham2312 , your question is not at all silly!
In fact, it's a very good question.

"including" is an exception to the rules that govern what you call V-ing modifiers
V-ing modifiers are also called present participles, participial modifiers, verbING, and __ING modifiers

"including" always modifies a noun or noun-type word or phrase
(I cannot think of a single exception)

including in this context belongs to the "additive phrase" group.
Including is similar to the phrases as well as, in addition to, and along with

(1) Additive phrases modify nouns in that they add nouns to another noun.
-- In this sentence, including adds personal or private emotions to the general category emotions
-- Similar: Foods rich in the antioxidant lycopene, including tomatoes and apricots, have been studied extensively.

(2) Additive phrases are not part of the subject itself.
-- Because additive phrases are not part of the subject itself, they often make verbs sound odd.
-- Correct: Espen, along with Kristoffer, travels frequently from Norway to France.
[singular subject, singular verb, despite the presence of two people in the sentence]

(3) Additive phrases often are defined as prepositions
-- Do not worry about the part of speech. Just remember that
"including" is an odd and exceptional ____ING modifier.

The pattern in this sentence is typical.
". . . that emotions, including those deemed personal or private, are . . ."
plural noun + comma + INCLUDING + nouns/pronouns that belong to the same group as the plural noun

THIS post discusses additive phrases and uses "including" in one of the author's SC mock questions.

Hope that helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
anuj

How can we conclude that intention of the pronoun 'that' is to only emotions? By referring to a broad spectrum word phenomena, it means that the pronoun antecedes not only the emotions but also many more such abstract feelings.

However, let me also point out one technical factor. There
Is a difference between modification and antecedence? 'That' is often a relative pronoun that can refer to a previous noun or at times a more logical proximate noun. Per se, a relative pronoun technically never modifies anything. When we say modification, it involves a change in the original perception of something by providing additional information.

In addition, 'that' may also act as a subordinate conjunction in which case it neither antecedes nor modifies anything.

We must not get confused between antecedence and modification. This confusion may lead us to seek a distant modifyee than a nearer noun as in the case of emotions vs. phenomena.
The 'that' in the context cannot intend to jump over a verb 'are' and refer to the emotions. The reference tp phenomena seems to be correct in the answer B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question

I have a query regarding the non-underlined portion. "Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument"
does this has SV pair?
Recent interdisciplinary studies: Subject
Advance:verb

if yes then studies are plural and advance is singular.

If its not a statement then what role is this playing?

I think I am missing something and not able to figure out. Can anyone clarify?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CrackVerbal33 wrote:
I have a query regarding the non-underlined portion. "Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument"
does this has SV pair?
Recent interdisciplinary studies: Subject
Advance:verb

if yes then studies are plural and advance is singular.

If its not a statement then what role is this playing?

I think I am missing something and not able to figure out. Can anyone clarify?
You have identified the subject and verb correctly.

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument...

The one correction to be made here is that advance (verb) is plural. Advances is the one that we'd normally think of as being singular. For example:
Both players advance to the next round.
He advances to the next round.

It's the opposite when we use advance as a noun. Then it is singular.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
gmat4varun wrote:
I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?

Hi gmat4varun, that is referring to social phenomena.

All relative pronouns (such as that in this case) can refer to both singular or plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative pronouns, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Hi
I have a silly doubt - i may be mixing two concepts but:
When we have "neither.. nor / either..or /or " we use the subject closest to nor/or to determine the verb. Would the same not be valid for statement A? "Private" is singular
eg neither the players nor the coach IS
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kriti, including those deemed personal or private is just a modifier.

So, the core of the sentence (excluding the modifier) in option A is:

..emotions is a social phenomenon...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Hi even though the answer choice B is correct. I am wondering how can that refer back to a plural "emotions"? isn't "that" only supposed to refer to singular subjects? Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
Hi even though the answer choice B is correct. I am wondering how can that refer back to a plural "emotions"? isn't "that" only supposed to refer to singular subjects? Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

In option B, that is not referring to emotions, but to social phenomena.

Note that all relative pronouns (which, that, who, whom, whose etc.) can refer to both singular and plural nouns.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos