Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [161]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [33]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [12]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618643 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bsd_lover wrote:
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one’s health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.
(B) Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony
(C) Married people cannot get depressed.
(D) Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.
(E) Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Research indicates that there is a connection between being married and being happy and healthy. Media commentators have concluded that marriage causes happiness and health. However, one could reasonably conclude from the research that the cause and effect are the reverse: being happy and healthy makes a person more likely to get married.

(A) The research compared married people to unmarried people. Neither the researchers nor the media commentators made any distinction between newlyweds and those who had been married a long time, so this assumption is not necessary.

(B) The type of wedding is outside the scope of this argument. The research compared married people to unmarried people, but made no distinction based upon the type of wedding. Thus, this assumption is unnecessary.

(C) At first, this statement may seem necessary—after all, if the commentators conclude that marriage causes happiness, a lack of depression in married people would certainly support that conclusion. However, the statement is too extreme. One depressed married person does not invalidate the research indicating that, on average, married people are healthier and happier than non-married people.

(D) CORRECT. This statement eliminates the alternative interpretation of the research findings—that being happy and healthy makes a person more likely to get married.

(E) The research compared married people to unmarried people. Neither the researchers nor the media commentators made any distinction between harmonious marriages and combative marriages, so this assumption is not necessary.
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
bsd_lover wrote:
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one’s health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

A The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.

B Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple

C Married people cannot get depressed.

D Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

E Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

D

The argument assumes that getting married improved one's health. However, if single people with depression don't marry because of depression itself, then this suggests that depression itself is the actual cause of single people not getting marry.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Kudos
on 2nd pass D does look good too..

so debating between C and D...

if C is not true would the argument hold? yeah..it still does..argument doesnt say anything about long term affects of marriage..maybe later they get depressed who knows..

D says everyone has an equal oppurtunity to get married and be happy..if this werent true i think the argument falls apart..

D it is..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
D.
If only happy and healthy single people get married, then the marriage doesn't make them to be happy and healthy. In fact, they have happy marriage because they are happy people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks pranrasvij & nusmavrik. If you have any more questions, shoot me a message. I'm pretty solid on CR and RC. But I still have some problems with the grammar part esp. the idioms stuff. I argue that the American idiom grammar section is unfair to us ESL students. Anyhow, as for CR strategy, I would recommend to approach the question upfront, meaning that we should first see if the argument is a good argument or a flaw argument or if this is just a statement of fact (this usually applies to inference question). If its an argument, it is most likely flaw since we can't really strengthen or weakened a good argument. Therefore, you should identify a flaw in the argument first and then approach the question. Almost always the answer choice that is correct will address this flaw. Keep in mind that there might be more than one flaw. But the question will definitely address that flaw inorder to strengthen or weakened the argument. Just like this marriage CR question, if we see correlation & causation flaw then we could narrow down to the correct answer choice D. I don't know why, but the GMAT test prep books that I read so far do not explicitly address this topic.

I found this to be helpful especially if English is not your native language, since this technique help you solve CR question much faster and a lot more accurate. So you can save up time to deal with dense RC passage or very annoying and tricky American Idioms SC.

Ok I will stop. Thanks for reading.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
The author cites a correlation between marriage and conditions like happiness and health , and concludes that marriage leads to happiness and health. Hence he’s assuming that the causation doesn’t run the other way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
mrsmarthi wrote:

A) The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.
B) Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony.
C) Married people cannot get depressed.
D) Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.
E) Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

marriage -> being healthy. Option D prevent the reversal of this cause effect. IF single people with depression are not likely to get married as other single people then unmarried people would consist of this depressed one's having poorer health from before, rather than this condition occurring due to being unmarried.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2584 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos