GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2020, 11:23
Hi generis this is a great post, thanks much for creating it. I wanted to comment regarding your reference to one of the GMAT SC books (see below)

Quote:
The most recent edition of a book by a very popular and well-respected source for GMAT sentence correction
is not accurate about what GMAC allows and forbids in this context.
See, for example, pages 119 and 194 of the latest edition.
(That book deserves its stellar reputation. A few inaccuracies? Eh.)

I have the 6th edition of the book and checked page 194 - the book says that a pronoun can refer to a possessive noun. Perhaps, it is worth to slightly modify your post as to avoid the confusion of a reader?
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 06:35
have a doubt in this question

When do we consider ",which" as modifying an entire clause? Usually ",which' modifies the noun before comma

I suspected that in C, ",which" was modifying the entire preceding clause that's why selected it

Also, pls clarify when should we use singular verb and when should we use plural in the following example:

One of the healthiest fruits that is (shouldn't this be are because that refers to fruits-plural)
CrackVerbal Representative
G
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Mar 2020, 03:05
GDT wrote:
have a doubt in this question

When do we consider ",which" as modifying an entire clause? Usually ",which' modifies the noun before comma

I suspected that in C, ",which" was modifying the entire preceding clause that's why selected it

Also, pls clarify when should we use singular verb and when should we use plural in the following example:

One of the healthiest fruits that is (shouldn't this be are because that refers to fruits-plural)

Hi

You are correct that "which" typically modifies the noun or noun idea immediately preceding it. However, there is one exception to this rule.

"Which" can modify the preceding clause/subject of preceding clause when
i) the preceding clause is a prepositional phrase
AND
ii) the verb unambiguously identifies the noun/noun idea that is being referred to

eg: The box of toffees, which is on the table, is expensive. This sentence is correct. The singular verb "is" makes it unambiguous that the noun being referred to is the singular noun "box", which is the subject of the preceding prepositional phrase.

The box of toffees, which are delicious, is expensive. This sentence is also correct. The plural verb "are" makes it unambiguous that the noun being referred to is the plural noun "toffees", which is the object of the preceding prepositional phrase.

The soldier's letter to his family, which was full of love, shows his immense respect for his country. This sentence is incorrect since both the subject (letter) and the object (family) of the preceding prepositional phrase are singular. The verb cannot unambiguously tell us what "which" is referring to.

To address your second question, the verb "is" in the phrase "One of the healthiest fruits that is widely available" refers to the "one" and not "fruits" and is hence singular.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by CrackVerbalGMAT on 05 Mar 2020, 02:48.
Last edited by CrackVerbalGMAT on 05 Mar 2020, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2020, 03:02
Experts!

I'm getting different responses to the question of whether to use singular verb or plural verb after

"One of the fruits" and "One of the fruits that" kind of sentences

There are certain examples which use singular, while others use plural

Kindly provide a detailed explanation to solve this query
CrackVerbal Representative
G
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2020, 03:08
GDT wrote:
Experts!

I'm getting different responses to the question of whether to use singular verb or plural verb after

"One of the fruits" and "One of the fruits that" kind of sentences

There are certain examples which use singular, while others use plural

Kindly provide a detailed explanation to solve this query

Hi

You can use either singular or plural depending on which noun you want to refer to.

eg:
Pistachio is one of the few flavors that appeal to me. Plural verb being used to refer to the plural noun "flavors".
The alarm is triggered when one of the criminals tries to escape. Singular verb being used to refer to the singular noun "one of the criminals".

Hope this helps.
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 23:49
DmitryFarber

My doubt is - Can "it' refer to possessive form of acai berry as mentioned in option D.

Negate till you are positive about the choice
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 May 2020, 23:09
generis wrote:

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, [a discovery that] makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Causality
The corrected version of the sentence does not alter the causality problems in the original.

The Results of recent studies . . . do not MAKE the acai berry one of the healthiest fruits . . .
Study results do not make the fruit superior to other fruits. Analysis, information, and conclusions do not cause fruit to be healthy.

Quote:
Study results cannot "cause" a fruit to be among "the healthiest" of available fruits. Antioxidants can. See my comments in that post.

Quote:
*Unsound logic: Options A, B, and C contain absurd logic ("logical predication" per OAs).
Study results do not cause a fruit to be healthy. What causes this fruit to be healthy? Extremely effective antioxidants.

generis In seperate instances you have said that (A),(B)& (C) are wrong coz those options say that Studies make the berry healthiest.

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

In (A) & (B), "Pink Highlighted" is a complete clause and "Green Highlighted" is a modifier that modifies previous clause.
Thus, Antioxidants boosting cell function more effectively makes the berry healthiest.

So, I guess the modifier in (A) & (B) does make sense.(Though there are other issues in them). The modifier isn't modifying "Recent studies have shown that..." . Coz the previous complete clause is "the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost"

GMATNinja, generis, VeritasKarishma Please let me know if I am right in this aspect.

DmitryFarber Can you shed some light on this? Is my interpretation of Verb-ing modifier right?

Originally posted by jkbk1732 on 28 May 2020, 04:16.
Last edited by jkbk1732 on 28 May 2020, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 22:32
NischalP Yes, a regular pronoun can refer to a possessive noun. There has been some doubt about this in the past, but the GMAT does not forbid the practice, so that's that.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2020, 00:04
jkbk1732 wrote:
generis wrote:

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, [a discovery that] makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Causality
The corrected version of the sentence does not alter the causality problems in the original.

The Results of recent studies . . . do not MAKE the acai berry one of the healthiest fruits . . .
Study results do not make the fruit superior to other fruits. Analysis, information, and conclusions do not cause fruit to be healthy.

Quote:
Study results cannot "cause" a fruit to be among "the healthiest" of available fruits. Antioxidants can. See my comments in that post.

Quote:
*Unsound logic: Options A, B, and C contain absurd logic ("logical predication" per OAs).
Study results do not cause a fruit to be healthy. What causes this fruit to be healthy? Extremely effective antioxidants.

generis In seperate instances you have said that (A),(B)& (C) are wrong coz those options say that Studies make the berry healthiest.

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

In (A) & (B), "Pink Highlighted" is a complete clause and "Green Highlighted" is a modifier that modifies previous clause.
Thus, Antioxidants boosting cell function more effectively makes the berry healthiest.

So, I guess the modifier in (A) & (B) does make sense.(Though there are other issues in them). The modifier isn't modifying "Recent studies have shown that..." . Coz the previous complete clause is "the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost"

GMATNinja, generis, VeritasKarishma Please let me know if I am right in this aspect.

DmitryFarber Can you shed some light on this? Is my interpretation of Verb-ing modifier right?

Yes. The antioxidants of acai berry boost immune cell function and that makes it the healthiest fruit.

In option (A), "making it ..." modifies the previous 'that' clause "the antioxidants ... boost immune cell function ..."

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr   [#permalink] 29 May 2020, 00:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics