It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Schools: IESE
Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 03:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (00:52) correct 46% (01:01) wrong based on 130 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses, despite the claims of thousands of people who swear by it as a dietary supplement.

(A) Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses

(B) Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses

(C) Certain illnesses may be at a higher risk of development if vitamin E is taken in excess of a balanced diet, according to recent studies

(D) According to recent studies, the intake of vitamin E, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase developing certain illnesses

(E) Vitamin E, recent studies suggest, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase the development risk of certain illnesses
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1443 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 03:38
Snayt wrote:
Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses, despite the claims of thousands of people who swear by it as a dietary supplement.

A Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses
B Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses C Certain illnesses may be at a higher risk of development if vitamin E is taken in excess of a balanced diet, according to recent studies
D According to recent studies, the intake of vitamin E, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase developing certain illnesses
E Vitamin E, recent studies suggest, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase the development risk of certain illnesses

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1443 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 0

Re: Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 04:05
B too
Suggest THAT. TAKING is better than INTAKE OF

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 07:42
Snayt wrote:

A Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses
B Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses
C Certain illnesses may be at a higher risk of development if vitamin E is taken in excess of a balanced diet, according to recent studies
D According to recent studies, the intake of vitamin E, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase developing certain illnesses
E Vitamin E, recent studies suggest, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase the development risk of certain illnesses

I went for A. "that" takes the "an intake".

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 07:51
B alters the meaning of the original sentence ? ...we dont have 'may' in the 'B'.
Study is not confirming that the results are 100% acurate.

Imo A

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 08:36
C is my pick. Vitamin E should use increases not increase. hence left with B and C. Intially I selected B, but on second thought C is the best.

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 09:40
A ..I think. B & C distort the meaning from a 'may be' to a 'certainty'. What is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 10:18
When I deal with this question! I initially chose A for a simple reason: A contains MAY while B does not. SUGGEST ... (UNKNOWN - in A) vs. SUGGEST... (KNOWN - in B).
After rethinking I choose B rather than B because B has TAKING VITAMIN sounds better than INTAKE OF.

Well, I lose!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 859 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 13:10
Snayt wrote:

>>> A is good
B Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses

C Certain illnesses may be at a higher risk of development if vitamin E is taken in excess of a balanced diet, according to recent studies
>>>run-on ?

>>> if in Dand E make the sentence messy

Kudos [?]: 859 [0], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 22

Schools: SSE
Re: Vitamin E [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2009, 14:43
IMO A

E: out (just look at it)
D: increase developing seems incorrect
C: may be at a higher risk of development seems wordy

B vs. A: I think that may before actually is connected with the meaning of the sentence, since it is surprising that the intake of a vitamin can cause certain illnesses. Without may it seems as the study found the confirmation of something that was thought to be. That's how I see it..

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2012, 09:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A) Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses

B) Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses

C) Certain illnesses may be at a higher risk of development if vitamin E is taken in excess of a balanced diet, according to recent studies

D) According to recent studies, the intake of vitamin E, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase developing certain illnesses

E) Vitamin E, recent studies suggest, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase the development risk of certain illnesses

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 6

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2012, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A.
B changes the meaning by removing "may"
C - wrong meaning - illness cannot be at risk
D and E - too wordy and awkard

get what u like or like what u get

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2012, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Also, notice the "despite" in non-underlined section which means the underlined section should be contradictory.
Recent studies suggest X, despite Y.
Hence C, D and E are out. B alters intent by removing may.
Hence A should be correct. What's the OA?

get what u like or like what u get

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 30

WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2012, 13:45
my understanding:
it boils down to A n B

recent studies suggest something , what does it suggest?
A: THAT...............The intake of vitamin E may increase the risk of developing Y

B: THAT.................Taking vitamin E increases the risk of developing Y

The Intake outweighs Taking in the above construction

Furthermore I second dheeraj wrt drop of may in B ( the intent of the sentence : recent studies/findings suggest X may lead to Y ) and A perfectly fits the bill.

Leading to A my take

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2012, 21:01

A) Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses - Correct answer

B) Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses – removes may and hence modifies the meaning.

C) Certain illnesses may be at a higher risk of development if vitamin E is taken in excess of a balanced diet, according to recent studies - awkward

D) According to recent studies, the intake of vitamin E, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase developing certain illnesses – This sentence misses Risk and hence modifies the meaning .

E) Vitamin E, recent studies suggest, if in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet, may actually increase the development risk of certain illnesses : misses intake ad modifies the meaning.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2014, 09:19
kt00381n wrote:

Anybody can clarify why verb is plural in Correct Option A)

Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8737 [1], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kinjiGC wrote:

Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses

Dear kinjiGC,
I'm responding to your p.m., and I am happy to help. :-)

This can be a very tricky issue about SV agreement for non-native speakers: the role of auxiliary verbs (a.k.a helping verbs).
BIG IDEA #1: Any change in the verb due to number is reflected ONLY in the first auxiliary verb.
If there are two, or three, words in the verb, the first is the only one that will reflect a change due to number.
I was reading.
There were reading.
I have been there.
He has been there.
I have been listening to Mozart.
He has been listening to Mozart.

BIG IDEA #2: Some auxiliary verbs (has/have, was/were, etc.) change form from singular to plural, but many (may, can, should, etc.) do not change form at all due to number. If one of these latter verbs is the auxiliary verb, then the verb as a whole exhibits absolutely no change from singular to plural.
I may go to that.
He may go to that.
They may go to that.
I should exercise.
He should exercise.
They should exercise.
I must leave.
He must leave.
They must leave.

In all of those cases, the auxiliary verb has the same form in singular and plural, so the entire verb is identical in singular and plural. For more examples of auxiliary verbs, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/auxiliary- ... -the-gmat/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8737 [1], given: 105

Current Student

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 10:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:

Dear kinjiGC,
I'm responding to your p.m., and I am happy to help. :-)

This can be a very tricky issue about SV agreement for non-native speakers: the role of auxiliary verbs (a.k.a helping verbs).
BIG IDEA #1: Any change in the verb due to number is reflected ONLY in the first auxiliary verb.
If there are two, or three, words in the verb, the first is the only one that will reflect a change due to number.
I was reading.
There were reading.
I have been there.
He has been there.
I have been listening to Mozart.
He has been listening to Mozart.

BIG IDEA #2: Some auxiliary verbs (has/have, was/were, etc.) change form from singular to plural, but many (may, can, should, etc.) do not change form at all due to number. If one of these latter verbs is the auxiliary verb, then the verb as a whole exhibits absolutely no change from singular to plural.
I may go to that.
He may go to that.
They may go to that.
I should exercise.
He should exercise.
They should exercise.
I must leave.
He must leave.
They must leave.

In all of those cases, the auxiliary verb has the same form in singular and plural, so the entire verb is identical in singular and plural. For more examples of auxiliary verbs, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/auxiliary- ... -the-gmat/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Many thanks !!!

It makes perfect sense. Thanks a ton !!!

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 151 [1], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS

since studies suggest-------it has to have "may"........
you cant take in vitamin E..... it has to be intake of vitamin "E"....

A Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet may actually increase the risk of developing certain illnesses ....correct

B Recent studies suggest that taking vitamin E in excess of that found naturally in a balanced diet actually increases the risk of developing certain illnesses ....incorrect

Kudos [?]: 151 [1], given: 70

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 104 [1], given: 257

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 00:15
This post received
KUDOS
This is a subjunctive type sc. So after suggest we need that and verb. A is correct.

B is wrong because taking is not a verb in this case.

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 104 [1], given: 257

Re: Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that f   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2014, 00:15

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Recent studies suggest that an intake of vitamin E in excess of that f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap