It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2383 [3], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:30) correct 24% (02:31) wrong based on 225 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a jawbone fossil. Initially, the team hypothesized that the jawbone came from a young gomphothere, a now extinct distant relative of the elephant, since the teeth were those of a juvenile. The gomphothere, however, is known for its large molars, and the teeth on the jawbone would not allow enough room for the molars of an adult gomphothere to fit. Based on this evidence, the scientists conclude that the jawbone fossil provides evidence of a distinct species closely related to the gomphothere.

Which of the following, if true, would best provide evidence showing that the conclusion above is possibly flawed?

A) The manner in which teeth grow provide sufficient evidence for the accurate classification of a bygone species.
B) In order for the molars of an adult gomphothereto emerge, several juvenile teeth are first forced out of the gums to accommodate the molars.
C) The molars of an adult mastodon, a close relative of the gomphothere, are similar in size to those of an adult gomphothere.
D) Many fossils exist that have yet to be conclusively attributed to any one species.
E) The juvenile jawbone of a species related to a gomphothere is longer than the juvenile jawbone of a gomphothere.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2383 [3], given: 178

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Re: Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 09:39
can anyone explain in detail? i marked A.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2383 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 09:52
grr8pe wrote:
can anyone explain in detail? i marked A.

Hello grr8pe

Conclusion: the scientists conclude that the jawbone fossil provides evidence of a distinct species closely related to the gomphothere [because]
Premise: gomphothere, however, is known for its large molars, and the teeth on the jawbone would not allow enough room for the molars of an adult gomphothere to fit

Link for conlusion:
This is not fossils of gomphothere because fossils' teeth took the place of molars

We should weaken this link

A) The manner in which teeth grow provide sufficient evidence for the accurate classification of a bygone species.
This is strength our conclusion because it says that manner in which teeth grow is enough for classification. So this is not gomphothere

B) In order for the molars of an adult gomphothereto emerge, several juvenile teeth are first forced out of the gums to accommodate the molars.
This is correct answer because it says that teeth that took place of molars will be push out. So this is possibly gomphothere.

C) The molars of an adult mastodon, a close relative of the gomphothere, are similar in size to those of an adult gomphothere.
Interesting fact but do not influence our link

D) Many fossils exist that have yet to be conclusively attributed to any one species.

E) The juvenile jawbone of a species related to a gomphothere is longer than the juvenile jawbone of a gomphothere.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2383 [0], given: 178

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 16:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.25
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 07:05
Harley1980 wrote:
Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a jawbone fossil. Initially, the team hypothesized that the jawbone came from a young gomphothere, a now extinct distant relative of the elephant, since the teeth were those of a juvenile. The gomphothere, however, is known for its large molars, and the teeth on the jawbone would not allow enough room for the molars of an adult gomphothere to fit. Based on this evidence, the scientists conclude that the jawbone fossil provides evidence of a distinct species closely related to the gomphothere.

Which of the following, if true, would best provide evidence showing that the conclusion above is possibly flawed?

A) The manner in which teeth grow provide sufficient evidence for the accurate classification of a bygone species.This could be an assumption.
B) In order for the molars of an adult gomphothereto emerge, several juvenile teeth are first forced out of the gums to accommodate the molars.In case the teeth are forced out the gums, then the space created could be sufficient for the molars to grow.
C) The molars of an adult mastodon, a close relative of the gomphothere, are similar in size to those of an adult gomphothere.So what? Nothing substantial.
D) Many fossils exist that have yet to be conclusively attributed to any one species.So?
E) The juvenile jawbone of a species related to a gomphothere is longer than the juvenile jawbone of a gomphothereMild strengthener- The problem is the jawbone itself, irrespective of its size.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 32

Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 07:05

Recently, a team of scientists digging through a tar pit unearthed a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap