GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 657
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Aug 2018, 23:11
1
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:54) correct 65% (01:42) wrong based on 315 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from Magazine X, claiming that it was due to the fact that the editorial board of the magazine had decided to change the image that the magazine portrays from one of family values to one concerned more with sex and violence. Surely this indicates that the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen this conclusion?


(A) The advertisers regularly review the placement of their advertisements.

(B) It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.

(C) The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.

(D) The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.

(E) A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had falled since its transformation.

_________________

Originally posted by ykaiim on 14 Apr 2010, 11:00.
Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Aug 2018, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1827
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2010, 08:38
3
Yes, I agree with the post above. We need here to distinguish between two possibilities - that the advertising company has made its decision for 'moral propriety' (whatever that means) reasons, or that the company has made its decision for business reasons. It may be that the magazine, with its new 'image', is no longer a suitable advertising vehicle for the ad company's clients - maybe their clients are all 'family-friendly' companies, so advertising in 'family friendly' magazines is simply good business. D doesn't help to resolve this question of the ad company's motivations, but C does.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Most Helpful Community Reply
SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2273
Location: New York, NY
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2013, 10:59
4

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



This is GMAT Pill CR Framework #4 Exclusive Negation

The argument is that "morality" was the only thing governing the advertiser's decision to withdraw their ads from the magazine.

So the framework says to put it like this:
Argument: "morality" --> exclusively leads to --> withdraw ads
Negation: "other factors" --> did not affect --> withdraw ads

(C) brings up a factor "financial reasons" and discounts financial reasons as a possible factor in affecting the decision to withdraw ads. If withdrawing ads was a financial BENEFIT, then they may have decided to withdraw ads based on financial reasons. But (C) clearly states that by withdrawing, there would be a financial DISBENEFIT. As a result, it cannot possibly be the case that "financial reasons" (an example of "other factors") affected the decision to withdraw ads.

(C) is an example of the negation and thus helps strengthen. GMATPill Framework #4 Exclusive Negation successfully conquers this question.

With (D) signing up for other publications that value family -- this does not necessarily mean they did it for moral reasons. They may have done it for financial reasons primarily. (D) works but (C) is stronger.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2009
Posts: 249
Location: USA
WE 1: Engineering
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 11:24
2
The conclusion says that the advertisers still have sense of moral propriety left in them. Which choice strengths that believe ?

Sure, they do. But how does that show that they have sense of .... left ? A.The advertisers regularly review the placement of their advertisements.

OK, maybe rare. So ? B.It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.

So, even though they will loose money, they have still removed the ads from this magazine !!!!! Isn't the overall motive about making money. So if they are loosing money due to pulling out the ad, something must be really bothering them. Maybe there sense of moral .... kicked in ? C.The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.

A possible choice. They canceled the ad from the other magazine and placed it with someone who cares about family value. D.The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasized family values.

Sure, standard has fallen, but does that help us decide if the advertisement company real has a sense of ..... E.A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had fallen since its transformation.

Between C & D, D only says that they placed ads with other company that has family values, so that means these advertisers really care about family values. BUT, the fact they canceled ads even though they had to loose money shows that they have really got sense of ........
_________________
All things are possible to those who believe.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 May 2018
Posts: 70
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Other (Retail)
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 22:34
1
ykaiim wrote:
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from Magazine X, claiming that it was due to the fact that the editorial board of the magazine had decided to change the image that the magazine portrays from one of family values to one concerned more with sex and violence. Surely this indicates that the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions.
Which of the following, if true, would strengthen this conclusion?

A) The advertisers regularly review the placement of their advertisements.
B) It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.
C) The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.
D) The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.
E) A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had falled since its transformation.


I initially chose C , but once I went through the comments - I think C is a better option
_________________
Kudos if you agree , Comment if you don't !!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2010, 14:34
Is the answer C?
the conclusion of the argument is "decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions"

Look at C. It says magazines will lose money. This means that their decision is not money-driven, but moral propriey driven. It supports the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Posts: 110
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2010, 23:34
The conclusion is
the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions

Now consider D. It says the advertisers have placed their adds in the magazines those emphasized family values.

But does it strengthen the conclusion where the main part is moral value.

But look at C
The advertisers have admitted that they have incurred loss due to their decision. They would have assumed this. So money is not the decisive factor for them. Its the moral value that drives them to make this decision.

So I will go for C

OA plzz
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 15:09
C for me. If they are withdrawing the ads and losing the money at that, it must be a moral reason.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 22
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2010, 02:04
razorback wrote:
C for me. If they are withdrawing the ads and losing the money at that, it must be a moral reason.


I agree with razorback , C should be the answer .. while C and D are probable choices , Find below the Comparison of the two -

C.The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn. This ultimately means that the advertisers will lose revenue .. so their choice to withdraw indicates a moral responsibility
D.The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.- There can be other reasons for their placing new advertisements which emphais family values .. May be the existing trend of the target audience is one that prefers family values..

I hope its clear :)

As a reference there is a similar problem in OG12 i suppose which talks about TV channels and elections.
_________________
This time , its my time .
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-07-2013
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2013, 01:45
C is a better one here as the advertisers might just have placed their ads in magazines with family values ( as narrated in D) by sheer popularity among target customers or any other reason. Their moral inclination to place advertisements is only justified by C which mentions that the companies are sticking with their decision even when they are going to incur losses.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Got Bling! Joined Phd Finance at IIML
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 23:39
imania wrote:
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from Magazine X, claiming that it was due to the fact that the editorial board of the magazine had decided to change the image that the magazine portrays from one of family values to one concerned more with sex and violence. Surely this indicates that the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen this conclusion?

A.The advertisers regularly review the placement of their advertisements.
does favor the conclusion

B.It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.
does favor the conclusion

C.The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.
does favor the conclusion But hey this one stands out with the most postive impact with a well hit negative blow - i am losing money but I will stick to a stand, means i have a moral stand, click ( trying to remind one to be careful still)
D.The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.

proves our assessment was correct but that art of the argument was already complete
E.A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had falled since its transformation.
proves our assessment was correct but that art of the argument was already complete


This one back to so many right choices to weigh. C it is.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 50
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 13:00
I disagree with C, it says clients will loose revenue by withdrawing but does not say the advertising companies loose the money or loose profits. It could so happen that they loose few clients and due to withdrawal they get more other customers.

In Option D, advertising companies are stick to their moral values and hence opted to move to other option. This shows advertising companies have some sense of morality rather than profit mind.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59039
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 23:18
Arpitkumar wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from Magazine X, claiming that it was due to the fact that the editorial board of the magazine had decided to change the image that the magazine portrays from one of family values to one concerned more with sex and violence. Surely this indicates that the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions.
Which of the following, if true, would strengthen this conclusion?

A) The advertisers regularly review the placement of their advertisements.
B) It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.
C) The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.
D) The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.
E) A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had falled since its transformation.


I initially chose C , but once I went through the comments - I think C is a better option


The OA is C. OE is here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/recently-sev ... l#p1242107 Another expert reply is here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/recently-sev ... ml#p792017
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2018, 23:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne