It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, the research and development departments at major

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2014, 06:52
Question: Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(a)major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
(b)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
(c)a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
(d)children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
(e)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children.

Solution: The important words in the conclusion are "relatively simply". We have to select the assumption that says that injecting these supplements will be "easy enough"or "simple enough".

A. Irrelevant
B. The passage already states that a boost in iron is required to reverse anemia. So, iron deficiency causing anemia is a fact.
C. The assumption should not about whether a good diet is sufficient. It should speak about the "simplicity" of injecting supplements.
D. This assumption is correct. If children subject themselves to such injections, then it will be relatively simple to cure their iron deficiency or anemia.
E. The passage never talks about safety.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 549

Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2014, 05:53
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
I definitely agree with you Ian.
My concern is that option B says:
"a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children"

They call it the major factor, something that is necessary, not the only factor. (Again a matter of interpretation, I guess)

Therefore, I feel the need to discount it and look for an alternative. This leads me to interpret it the way they meant it.

As I said in my first post of this topic - I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured'

But of course, no point spending too much time on it.

'Desired effect': Is it not about the injection's ability to cure Anemia in children? That is probably what the company is keen about!
If we were to consider 'Desired effect' as children actually turning up for medicine shots, this would become an article on their marketing and advertising strategies. Option D is ludicrous in the way it children to identify their sickness and turn up voluntarily after learning about the medicine. A doctor comes in handy here (if he is convinced about the medicine's efficacy)! Don't you think?
I don't think we need to wait until Iron becomes the only contributor to curing the disease. Major contributor serves well enough.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 549

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [1], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2014, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
I chose B :(

But how can D be correct? Isnt it a fact stated in the premise that children have already discovered that they have anemia?

Kudos [?]: 42 [1], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 08:51
It would be nice if someone, perhaps a pro to explain why 'd' is the correct answer....

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2014, 22:24
aakrity wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

I picked the wrong answer choice. Please help me understand. Thank you.

Can some one explain why C is not a correct choice here? It seems to be a valid assumption.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 23

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17374 [3], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2014, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rahulsn84 wrote:

Can some one explain why C is not a correct choice here? It seems to be a valid assumption.

Responding to a pm:

This question has been discussed before and here is my explanation:
Quote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect (desired effect is that children will be cured), the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia (Irrelevant)
(B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children (Look at the highlighted part above. This is something already mentioned in the stimulus. It has to be taken as true. It is not an assumption)
(C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary (The point here is not whether diet can cure anemia or not. The point is can the children be cured by the use of the injection. Even if diet can cure the children and injections become unnecessary, still we want to establish whether the injection can also cure the children)
(D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions (Children will be cured if they come to get the injection and the injection is effective. Here the assumption is that the children will come to get the injection. They will not be cured by this method, if they don't come to get the injection)
(E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children (Irrelevant to the question - very important otherwise)

I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured' but well, you live with what you get!

Let me expand a little more on (C)
An assumption is something that is necessary for the conclusion to hold.
Conclusion: These biochemical supplements will cure anemic children.

Are we assuming that proper food will not cure them? No. We are saying that these shots WILL cure the condition. Whether something else can also cure it is not the question. Had the conclusion been "ONLY these biochemical supplements can cure anemic children" then (C) would have been an assumption.

Hence (C) is not correct.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17374 [3], given: 232

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8453 [2], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aakrity wrote:

A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

rahulsn84 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I was going through this CR assumption question and I'm not able to understand why choice C is wrong in this case, it certainly looks like a valid assumption. I have pasted the question below for your reference. Can you please help me understand ?
Thanks.

Dear rahulsn84,
I'm happy to answer your p.m. :-)

As you may know, one powerful test for the Assumption of a CR argument is the Negation Test. Here's a blog that explains this technique if you are unfamiliar.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/assumption ... -the-gmat/

In this question, think about the conclusion: " children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements."

Now, think about the question: "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that . . ."

Now, let's look at (C) --- in particular, look at the negation of (C):
a diet rich in iron can improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
Suppose this is true. Suppose a diet rich in iron would prevent anemia. Well, it's possible this diet rich in iron would consist of, for example, a good share of high quality meat, such as children in the first world might eat, but it may be that most of the children who suffer anemia live in poverty and thus can't afford the high quality diets that would be rich in iron. We don't know that this is true, but it could be true. Thus, even though those wonderful diets are out there, they are not accessible to the children suffering anemia, so these children will still need the biochemical supplement. Thus, this statement could be 100% true, and the argument would still work. Right there, that indicates we are not dealing with an assumption. When we negate an assumption of the argument, that constitutes a devastating objection from which the argument cannot recover. Negating the assumption KO's the argument.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8453 [2], given: 102

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 93

GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 01:20
I am a non-native english speaker. It took me a while to understand what Author actually meant. :oops:

I am just wondering whether
"children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions" is GMAT type English. On GMAT, we cannot end a clause with a preposition.

Middle of nowhere!

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 93

Expert Post
G

Kudos [?]: 17374 [0], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 21:07
rohitmanglik wrote:
I am a non-native english speaker. It took me a while to understand what Author actually meant. :oops:

I am just wondering whether
"children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions" is GMAT type English. On GMAT, we cannot end a clause with a preposition.

The clauses are:
children afflicted with anemia will find out about injections
children afflicted with anemia will submit to injections

They have a common object of the preposition - 'injections'.
So for brevity, it is written only once.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2015, 00:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 03:26
This would be really hard to spot on the exam day. More so because other options are very tempting.

Current Student

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 03:36
Well, its easy to think of all the reasons why 'D' makes sense after knowing the answer choice. But on the exam day, i would not have given it a second thought. Option 'D' seems too trivial.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 02:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 04:51

assumption
there is no mechanism in anemic children that will counter-effect iron boost.

(b)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children.
a low iron level in the body is not the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children. so what?? even if it is not a major factor, we only know that boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition, this doesn't say iron deficiency is the reason for anemia.

(d)children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
children afflicted with anemia will not find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions. if they don;t then they will not take injections and hence children will still be suffering.

P.S. As per Medical knowledge, if you use something to cure a disease, that might be the reason of disease itself. Any doctor here?

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Schools: Stanford '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 15:05
A potential nice tip for helping between B and D - reduces time significantly

B - States "incedence" ... ie occurance. Conclusion is "cured". As the desired effect is cure not prevention then you can eliminate B

(a)major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
(b)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
(c)a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
(e)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 10:24
But it is already mentioned that 'The children who are suffering from anemia will be cured through the use of such biochemical supplements" Then what is the need of the assumption. Clearly B is the answer.

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
hemanthp wrote:

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect (desired effect is that children will be cured), the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia (Irrelevant)
(B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children (Look at the highlighted part above. This is something already mentioned in the stimulus. It has to be taken as true. It is not an assumption)
(C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary (The point here is not whether diet can cure anemia or not. The point is can the children be cured by the use of the injection. Even if diet can cure the children and injections become unnecessary, still we want to establish whether the injection can also cure the children)
(D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions (Children will be cured if they come to get the injection and the injection is effective. Here the assumption is that the children will come to get the injection. They will not be cured by this method, if they don't come to get the injection)
(E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children (Irrelevant to the question - very important otherwise

I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured' but well, you live with what you get!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 23:10
sandeshak wrote:
But it is already mentioned that 'The children who are suffering from anemia will be cured through the use of such biochemical supplements" Then what is the need of the assumption. Clearly B is the answer.

Note what the argument actually says:
"These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements."

The companies think that children, by using such biochemical supplements, will be cured.

The argument does not tell us that these biochemical supplements will cure anaemia. It tells us what the companies think will happen if children use these biochemical supplements.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 07:34
hemanthp wrote:

(e)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

I chose D but it took me 3.26 ! i suppose native English speakers process information given in English much faster than non natives :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 10:48
hemanthp wrote:

I do not like to disagree with the official answer; especially if it is defended by Karishma, who is always very clear in her explanations, but in this case I do not agree with her.
She supports her position using the negation test, but I believe that the negation of choice D does no invalidate the argument.
Let’s analyze choice D
The conclusion states that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements. It does not say that they will be cured if they do not use them.
D says that children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions.
So they will be cured. This is OK with the argument
Negation of D
Children afflicted with anemia may not find out about and may not submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
They do not submit to injections: out of scope.
The scope of the argument is: through the use of such biochemical supplements. If children do not use these supplements, then this choice is out of scope, and the conclusion is still valid.

I agree with other members about choice B though.
B states that a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children.
The argument is valid.
Negation: a low iron level in the body is not the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children.
That means there are other factors so they may not be cured. Then the argument is invalid.
Some members claim that it is mentioned in the stimulus: new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. But the stimulus does not say that new injections are the only thing needed to reverse the children’s condition. If there are other factors, then the children may need some other treatment besides simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 04:45
Conclusion:"Children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements"

I think D is not applicable assumption because conclusion says that anemia will be cured if use the drug

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 41

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2016, 04:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 78 posts ] 

Recently, the research and development departments at major

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap