It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 09:57

Happening Now:

Alleviate MBA app anxiety! Come to Chat Room #2


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, the research and development departments at major

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Keep fighting!
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 222

Kudos [?]: 515 [0], given: 104

WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 17:41
32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (01:25) correct 72% (01:33) wrong based on 2479 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(a)major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
(b)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
(c)a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
(d)children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
(e)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hemanthp on 18 Oct 2010, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 515 [0], given: 104

Expert Post
18 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7615

Kudos [?]: 16938 [18], given: 230

Location: Pune, India
Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2010, 08:26
18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide [highlight]the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition[/highlight]. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect (desired effect is that children will be cured), the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia (Irrelevant)
(B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children (Look at the highlighted part above. This is something already mentioned in the stimulus. It has to be taken as true. It is not an assumption)
(C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary (The point here is not whether diet can cure anemia or not. The point is can the children be cured by the use of the injection. Even if diet can cure the children and injections become unnecessary, still we want to establish whether the injection can also cure the children)
(D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions (Children will be cured if they come to get the injection and the injection is effective. Here the assumption is that the children will come to get the injection. They will not be cured by this method, if they don't come to get the injection)
(E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children (Irrelevant to the question - very important otherwise

I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured' but well, you live with what you get!


_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16938 [18], given: 230

17 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Keep fighting!
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 222

Kudos [?]: 515 [17], given: 104

WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 03:08
17
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children


the OA is D. I was stuck between B and D. Went for B but realized D also makes sense.

B - talks about the cause. I made the mistake of using my knowledge of anemia and concluded that the only reason for anemia is iron deficiency. That might or might not be the case but what the company is claiming is that anemia can be cured with iron injection. So B isn't necessarily an assumption necessary.
C - the key here is the claim that it can be "relatively simply" cured. While diet might be a way but we do not know if it is simple or not. May be it takes many years to cure. even if diet does cure it is not necessary to assume that everyone has access to diet or the injection will not cure. we should focus on the injections. moving on to diet is a scope shift.
D - This works well if you negate it. If children refuse to take or are unaware of such a thing ..it then it just isnt going to work. So D has to be an assumption that the pharma company has to work with.

Please KUDOS me if you like the post.

Kudos [?]: 515 [17], given: 104

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1341

Kudos [?]: 1910 [7], given: 6

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2010, 18:17
7
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children


I have serious issues with the wording here, since it's open to two completely legitimate interpretations; the phrase "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" could mean two different things. It could mean "*all* children with anemia will be cured" (this is the interpretation that they intend), or it could mean "this supplement is a successful cure for anemia". I find the second interpretation far more reasonable than the first. To give a parallel example, if a veterinarian says "this injection will cure rabies in dogs", he or she surely doesn't mean "because of this injection, rabies will, in the future, be completely eradicated in dogs". Instead he or she means "if a dog takes this injection, the dog's rabies will be cured".

Now, if you take "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" to mean "this supplement is an effective cure for those who take it", then D is not a relevant assumption at all; a supplement can be an effective cure for a disease even if no one actually uses it. Only B would be a good answer in that case. I disagree with the posts above which dismiss B as an assumption; it is an assumption in the argument. The stem tells us that iron boosts are *necessary* to reverse anemia. The stem does not tell us that iron boosts are *sufficient* to reverse anemia. The iron supplements will only reverse anemia if nothing in addition to iron is needed to reverse anemia. To give a different example, if I say "I need a tent to go camping. I have a tent, so I can go camping", then I'm assuming that a tent is *all* I need to go camping - that is, I'm assuming that the tent alone is sufficient for camping, and that I don't need, say, food as well. Since B suggests that iron supplements are the only thing required to reverse anemia, it does provide a missing assumption in the argument.

Now, if instead you interpret "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" to mean that anemia will be eliminated because of the supplement, then D is certainly a good answer, but I think that's a bizarre way to interpret the question stem here.

Given how I interpret the question, I think B is a better answer than D here, though someone who interprets the question differently can certainly justify answer D. I find the whole question problematic, so I wouldn't suggest devoting much time to it.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1910 [7], given: 6

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 27 [3], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 08:38
3
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

I picked the wrong answer choice. Please help me understand. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 27 [3], given: 38

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7615

Kudos [?]: 16938 [3], given: 230

Location: Pune, India
Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2014, 23:14
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rahulsn84 wrote:

Can some one explain why C is not a correct choice here? It seems to be a valid assumption.


Responding to a pm:

This question has been discussed before and here is my explanation:
Quote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect (desired effect is that children will be cured), the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia (Irrelevant)
(B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children (Look at the highlighted part above. This is something already mentioned in the stimulus. It has to be taken as true. It is not an assumption)
(C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary (The point here is not whether diet can cure anemia or not. The point is can the children be cured by the use of the injection. Even if diet can cure the children and injections become unnecessary, still we want to establish whether the injection can also cure the children)
(D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions (Children will be cured if they come to get the injection and the injection is effective. Here the assumption is that the children will come to get the injection. They will not be cured by this method, if they don't come to get the injection)
(E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children (Irrelevant to the question - very important otherwise)

I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured' but well, you live with what you get!


Let me expand a little more on (C)
An assumption is something that is necessary for the conclusion to hold.
Conclusion: These biochemical supplements will cure anemic children.

Are we assuming that proper food will not cure them? No. We are saying that these shots WILL cure the condition. Whether something else can also cure it is not the question. Had the conclusion been "ONLY these biochemical supplements can cure anemic children" then (C) would have been an assumption.

Hence (C) is not correct.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16938 [3], given: 230

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4367

Kudos [?]: 8151 [3], given: 100

Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 11:45
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rishit1080 wrote:
mikemcgarry and VeritasPrepKarishma can you explain what is wrong with choice B?

Dear rishit1080,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I would suggest looking at what the genius Karishma said in post of May 6, 2014, above on this thread. (B) is 100% true, and in fact, it already was mentioned in the prompt. If something is mentioned explicitly in the prompt, it can't be an assumption. Also, see my comments to sleepynut below.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

Kindly request your thought in option D.
IMHO,the intended effect is that the vaccine could remedy the anemic children.
I think that the awareness of children has nothing to do with the effect of such vaccine.Even if children can't diagnose themselves of such disease,the effective of this vaccine doesn't shatter.

Moreover,many people eliminate choice b with the reason that it has already mentioned in the argument.But I don't think so.The argument just plainly says that the injection provides the boost of iron.I think there is an assumption that low level of iron has something to do with anemia,if not why produce this vaccine.

Thanks for your help :-)

Dear sleepynut,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I think you are being a bit too literalist in your reading of (D). (D) is NOT implying that the young child do all the medical research themselves! Let's step back and think. Think about, say, a child of 4 years old. How did this child learn about over 95% of what he knows? Of course, from his parents. The child finds out about everything from his parents. Thus, the child would find out about the injection from his parents. Of course, the parents may well not be a position to perform a full diagnosis. Chances are, the parents just know something is wrong with the child's health, so the parents naturally take the child to the doctor or someone who can provide medical care, and then, both the parents & child might find out about the supplement from this medical professional.
Notice that there are no wild assumptions here--of course young children learn from their parents, and of course parents take their sick child to a a doctor.
All (D) is saying is that there must be some way that the information reaches the parents & child---if the information about the injections doesn't reach them, or if they are resistant to it, then the medicine won't help the child.
Admittedly, the wording is a little bizarre and awkward, to phrase this simply in terms of the children, and not both the children & parents. It's unusual phrasing, not how I would write the question, but not wrong.

Now, as for (B), the prompt talks about "the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition." The direct implication of this is that the children with anemia need iron, and if they get iron, it cures the anemia. In other words, iron or lack of iron is the big difference-maker for anemia. This is almost identical to what (B) is saying. Choice (B) would be an excellent answer for an inference statement: an extremely close restatement of what is explicitly stated. A good inference is NOT a good assumption. The inference is a rephrasing of essentially what is already there explicitly in the prompt. An inference is something already there, but an assumption is not already present in what is printed. An assumption is a missing piece, something not stated that provides an "aha!"--the magic invisible glue that holds the argument together.

The different tasks on GMAT CR are, in fact, quite different. The inference task is very different from the assumption task. Part of GMAT CR success is appreciating what is unique in each task and how the tasks differ from each other.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8151 [3], given: 100

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7615

Kudos [?]: 16938 [2], given: 230

Location: Pune, India
Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2010, 20:21
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I definitely agree with you Ian.
My concern is that option B says:
"a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children"

They call it the major factor, something that is necessary, not the only factor. (Again a matter of interpretation, I guess)

Therefore, I feel the need to discount it and look for an alternative. This leads me to interpret it the way they meant it.

As I said in my first post of this topic - I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured'

But of course, no point spending too much time on it.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16938 [2], given: 230

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 555

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 13

Re: CR - Assumption 700 level [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2011, 10:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with D,

Negate the statement :If children aren't aware of such injection or refrain from using it, then no way this will work to cure anemia.

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 13

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1988

Kudos [?]: 708 [2], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2014, 15:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
aakrity wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

I picked the wrong answer choice. Please help me understand. Thank you.


Its a tough choice between B and D, let's try negating each

B) Low iron level is NOT the major factor influencing incidence of anemia. Well it may NOT be the major factor but still a critical one so this may work

D) children will not find about and submit to injections. Now do children really have to find about it? Won't parent actually do this and submit them to the injections?

That's why I wasn't too sure about D, it doesn't sound too realistic to me. I would have gone with B honestly, but would be cool if someone could shed some light between each of these answer choices

Cheers
J

Kudos [?]: 708 [2], given: 355

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4367

Kudos [?]: 8151 [2], given: 100

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 13:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aakrity wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

rahulsn84 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I was going through this CR assumption question and I'm not able to understand why choice C is wrong in this case, it certainly looks like a valid assumption. I have pasted the question below for your reference. Can you please help me understand ?
Thanks.

Dear rahulsn84,
I'm happy to answer your p.m. :-)

As you may know, one powerful test for the Assumption of a CR argument is the Negation Test. Here's a blog that explains this technique if you are unfamiliar.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/assumption ... -the-gmat/

In this question, think about the conclusion: " children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements."

Now, think about the question: "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that . . ."

Now, let's look at (C) --- in particular, look at the negation of (C):
a diet rich in iron can improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
Suppose this is true. Suppose a diet rich in iron would prevent anemia. Well, it's possible this diet rich in iron would consist of, for example, a good share of high quality meat, such as children in the first world might eat, but it may be that most of the children who suffer anemia live in poverty and thus can't afford the high quality diets that would be rich in iron. We don't know that this is true, but it could be true. Thus, even though those wonderful diets are out there, they are not accessible to the children suffering anemia, so these children will still need the biochemical supplement. Thus, this statement could be 100% true, and the argument would still work. Right there, that indicates we are not dealing with an assumption. When we negate an assumption of the argument, that constitutes a devastating objection from which the argument cannot recover. Negating the assumption KO's the argument.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8151 [2], given: 100

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7615

Kudos [?]: 16938 [1], given: 230

Location: Pune, India
Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2010, 13:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adityajawa wrote:

@above
But the comapany says with the use of biochemical supplements.



I am not sure what your question is. Is it that they say that anemia will be cured by the use of biochemical supplements, not the injection?
If yes, then they mention "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect..." which definitely implies the injection that is being developed is a biochemical remedy.
If your question is something else, please clarify.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16938 [1], given: 230

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 555

Kudos [?]: 233 [1], given: 13

Re: CR - Assumption 700 level [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2011, 02:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
RohitKalla wrote:
Why not B?


Assumptions are unstated premise.
B is already stated in the argument .. You just need to paraphrase to get this .

Kudos [?]: 233 [1], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Applying for 2012 B school admissions
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 129

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 32

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: CR - Assumption 700 level [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2011, 00:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
viks4gmat wrote:
why not C any idea?

If we use methods such as negation,

a diet rich in iron CAN improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary

that hurts the conclusion as well.

can somebody pls help.


Hey viks, I also use the negation technique when down to two very close choices. But one has to use this technique correctly in order to reap its benefits.

C: a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary

Negation of C is: a diet rich in iron can sometimes improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary

Now you can see that negation of C doesn't hurt the conclusion in a decisive manner, as in some (or many) cases, biochemical supplements are still required.

I have read about negation technique in Powerscore - Critical reasoning bible, where it is beautifully explained. It states that negation is logical opposite and not polar opposite.

eg: Negation of wet is not wet, and not dry,
similarly negation of none is some , and not all

if you want a concise list of negation words, you can find them in Manhattan Gmat-CR book.
_________________

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 32

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 193

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 22

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2012, 03:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
Major factor for anemia --> Iron Deficiency
Pharamaceutical companies are coming up with an injection which boosts iron content in the patient, thus curing anemia/closing the iron deficiency gap.

Option A - Primary responsibility of companies has nothing to do with arguement mentioned
Option B - Already mentioned in the Premise
Option C - There might be other ways of filling the gap of iron content other than injections but it is irrelevant in this context.
Option E - Safety of the injections has no relevance to the arguement

Option D - Companies can see more of these injections only if the children are ready to go for it. Once the children with such ailments know about these injections, they will do whatever they can to reverse their condition. This is the most logical assumption of the Pharmaceutical companies.

I hope this helps...

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 906

Kudos [?]: 1361 [1], given: 263

Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 09:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi This is pretty old CR. But a good 1.

Please see the discussion here.

Please check YWILFRED reply with full choice analysis.
_________________

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1361 [1], given: 263

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 09:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the link to the discussion. Explained properly!

Moderators please delete this thread as I posted a question which was discussed earlier in the forum.

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 38

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 86

Kudos [?]: 42 [1], given: 37

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2014, 19:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
I chose B :(

But how can D be correct? Isnt it a fact stated in the premise that children have already discovered that they have anemia?

Kudos [?]: 42 [1], given: 37

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 25

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 20:13
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I go for B.
_________________

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 25

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 75

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 02:26
Major pharmaceutical companies states that new injection that provides iron boost would help anemic children to reverse their condition. Then these companies conclude that anemic children can be simply cured by using such biochemical supplements. The assumption here is that children intake enough or sufficient iron only by injection biochemical supplement, not by other methods such as eating a diet rich in iron or taking pills that supplement iron.
IMO, C is the answer.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 75

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2010, 02:26

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 71 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 A team of researchers at a university hospital has developed a chemica carcass 1 03 Apr 2016, 05:26
1 According to a consumer research group survey, the majority of kitche carcass 1 18 Feb 2016, 04:02
4 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC In recent decades, the vast majority of construction soaringAlone 16 27 Jun 2017, 07:32
39 Spending on research and development by United States ykaiim 21 12 Jun 2016, 02:54
2 A toy company's engineering department developed a new model wastedyouth 4 12 Jan 2014, 07:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Recently, the research and development departments at major

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.