Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to ask this question in the middle of abhi's post. But a related Q:
Is it advisable to look for recommenders with MBA? that too from good B Schools?
Or do you think it doesn't matter?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I would place more stress on the writer's knowledge of your abilities and personal qualities than where they attended school. However, depending on which aspect of your package needs the most reinforcement, a letter writer with an MBA might be beneficial. For instance, a writer with an MBA would be likely to have more insight into the rigors of business school and your ability to excel in that arena than a non-MBA writer. This is especially true for a writer who attended that exact school.

Hjort
Send PM
MBA recommenders [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hardworker_indian wrote:
Sorry to ask this question in the middle of abhi's post. But a related Q:
Is it advisable to look for recommenders with MBA? that too from good B Schools?
Or do you think it doesn't matter?

All other things being equal, a recommender with an MBA is an advantage because the MBA recommender can comment on your fitness for the rigors of an MBA program and can also compare your qualifications to those of other MBA's that he or she knows.

But keep in mind that all other things are rarely equal. Of paramount important is the recommenders willingness and ability to right a detailed substantive recommendation based on his or her personal knowledge of your qualifications. A rec from a non-MBA who knows you well, has supervised your work, and thinks highly of you is better than one from an MBA who doesn't know you well or hasn't supervised you directly, but is well intentioned and could slap some positive superficial comments about what a great applicant you are on a recommendation form.

For tips on writing a substantive letter of recommendation, please see:
"Ten Tips for REcommenders"
https://www.accepted.com/newsletter/2001 ... s.aspx#tip
https://www.accepted.com/newsletter/2001 ... s.aspx#tip

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Please allow me to jump in with my question here.

Most schools require 2 recommendation letters. How much overlap is acceptable between the two letters. For example, if one of my ROL has addressed 3 of my qualities with examples, can the second ROL also talk about the same qualitiesbut with different examples? Or should the second recommendation include only those qualities not covered in the first ROL? (I understand that if the secod ROL can cover completely differnt qualities, it is ideal, but I am just trying to get an idea as to how much we can talk about the same qaulities in two ROLs)

Also, one of my friends, who was my roommate for one and half year is currently studying at Wharton. Would it be good idea to get a third recommendation from him just to convince the committe that I am fit for wharton culture?

Thank you for your help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have the same question as Gmatblast has.My situation is much more worse cos my recommenders have told me to write the reco's myself...and now I have to write the reco's as two different persons.
If anybody has been in such a situation before...any tips..?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bumping up the thread...can anybpdy please answer it.

-Vivek.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
The information you send to each recommender should be from his/her perspective. Try to recall what important events that demonstrate the strengths you want to emphasize took place with that supervisor. Some overlap is OK as long as both recommenders observed the same salient events.

Not sure if this helps . . .

Hjort
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
vivek_dj wrote:
I have the same question as Gmatblast has.My situation is much more worse cos my recommenders have told me to write the reco's myself...and now I have to write the reco's as two different persons.
If anybody has been in such a situation before...any tips..?

That is a tough situation. No question.

First of all, some overlap is expected, especially if the recommenders are from the same employer. It would be normal for them to talk about the same calling-card achievement or projects that you led. It would be normal for them to discuss the same qualities in connection with those same projects. it woudl also not be normal or useful for them to discuss the same aspects of those experiences.

You can have one discuss your ability to work with peers and the other write about client-interaction. Obviously they can say your quantitative skills are excellent and bring different examples.

You can also have one recommender write in a more formal, still style. The other can be slightly more casual, although still professional. One may use long, complex sentences. The second could have direct, succinct style.

Anyway, a few suggestions.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm...I see where you are coming from...thanks for the insights.

-Vivek.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]