Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [28]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [4]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
Send PM
Re: Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the passage of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Chetangupta wrote:
Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the passage of serotonin molecules from the presynaptic cell to receptors on the postsynaptic cell has been identified as a successful treatment for clinical depression for many individuals. A new series of drugs, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, prevent the presynaptic cell from re-uptaking serotonin, thereby allowing normal amounts of serotonin to reach the receptors on the postsynaptic cell.

Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the above statements?

If too much serotonin is released to the receptors, a person will feel extremely euphoric.
Taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor is currently the only successful treatment for clinical depression.
Individuals who have normal levels of serotonin uptake do not run the risk of suffering from depression.
By not taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, individuals with depression run the risk of depleting their serotonin levels.
Taking Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors reduces the incidence of depression in some people.

Any suggestions on how to approach such questions. I was not able to make much out of this, so just made a informed guess (chose E :-D ) and moved on.

Wow wow wow!!! Such a time consuming one. It took me 2 mins to understand why depression is caused and how the new drug treats depression.

Let's do this inference question by POE -
(A) It is not mentioned in argument. Out of scope.
(B) There may other treatments available. Incorrect.
(C) Close one, but a bit extreme.
(D) Same as (C), a bit extreme.
(E) Not-extreme and yes, few people will be relieved on depression.

(E) wins.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the passage of [#permalink]
Kudos
Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the passage of serotonin molecules from the presynaptic cell to receptors on the postsynaptic cell has been identified as a successful treatment for clinical depression for many individuals. A new series of drugs, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, prevent the presynaptic cell from re-uptaking serotonin, thereby allowing normal amounts of serotonin to reach the receptors on the postsynaptic cell.

A. If too much serotonin is released to the receptors, a person will feel extremely euphoric......to much serotonin case is completely out of scope.

B. Taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor is currently the only successful treatment for clinical depression..............only plays the spoilsport here making this an extreme case.

C. Individuals who have normal levels of serotonin uptake do not run the risk of suffering from depression............we have an argument regarding treatment for depressed people through serotonin and their normal level case is completely out of scope.

I got stuck between D and E, and selected D as I got entrapped in clever wordplay between deficit and depletion of serotonin levels.

D. By not taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, individuals with depression run the risk of depleting their serotonin levels.
This is incorrect for above reason.

E. Taking Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors reduces the incidence of depression in some people.
even though taking inhibitors reduces depression sounds a bit too strong, we have to see the word some which makes the whole sentence come in the scope of the argument.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Chetangupta wrote:

If too much serotonin is released to the receptors, a person will feel extremely euphoric.
Taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor is currently the only successful treatment for clinical depression.
Individuals who have normal levels of serotonin uptake do not run the risk of suffering from depression.
By not taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, individuals with depression run the risk of depleting their serotonin levels.
Taking Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors reduces the incidence of depression in some people.

Any suggestions on how to approach such questions. I was not able to make much out of this, so just made a informed guess (chose E :-D ) and moved on.

I got to C, and this is how I reached to the answer choice

reducing S -> successful treatment for clinical depression in many individuals.
new drug -> SSRI -> prevent from reaching again high levels of S.
thus, SSRI -> allows the "normal" amount of S to reach the receptors.

A. we do not have any information about being euphoric. out.
B. THE ONLY - way too extreme. the argument says that it has been identified as a treatment. not that it is the only treatment.
C. reducing S is a way to treat. but it might be the case that some people with depression do not have high level of S.
D. is too extreme.
E. reduces in some people. written in the same language as the argument...

E for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
SSRI is for treating depression. Option (E) talks about the incidence of depression. How can (E) be inferred? What is it that I'm missing here?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
SSRI is for treating depression. Option (E) talks about the incidence of depression. How can (E) be inferred? What is it that I'm missing here?

Here "incidence of depression" is used in the sense "bout of depression". Successful treatment does not necessarily imply complete elimination of the problem - reducing bouts of depression can also be considered successful treatment - improvement in condition implies some level of success in treatment.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:

Here "incidence of depression" is used in the sense "bout of depression". Successful treatment does not necessarily imply complete elimination of the problem - reducing bouts of depression can also be considered successful treatment - improvement in condition implies some level of success in treatment.

Once someone is depressed, SSRI will help as mentioned in the question stem.

"treatment", "improvement", "reducing" and even "complete elimination", all these are germane only after "incidence" of depression. (E) is talking about incidence, way before treating it or successfully treating it.

Quite unusually, on this one, it is very hard to buy your reasoning sayantanc2k.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:

"treatment", "improvement", "reducing" and even "complete elimination", all these are germane only after "incidence" of depression. (E) is talking about incidence, way before treating it or successfully treating it.

Quite unusually, on this one, it is very hard to buy your reasoning sayantanc2k.

Please refer to my first sentence in the post: Here "incidence of depression" is used in the sense "bout of depression". In my opinion, the author of this question has used the phrase "incidence of depression" in the sense "bout of depression"(after the treatment), and not in the sense any "any occurrence of depression" (even before treatment) as you indicated. If the meaning you mentioned is what the author of the question meant, then, in my opinion, there is no way option E could be the answer.

If you could elaborate how the meaning you mentioned fits in the argument, then it would be more effective to discuss further.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Please refer to my first sentence in the post: Here "incidence of depression" is used in the sense "bout of depression". In my opinion, the author of this question has used the phrase "incidence of depression" in the sense "bout of depression"(after the treatment), and not in the sense any "any occurrence of depression" (even before treatment) as you indicated. If the meaning you mentioned is what the author of the question meant, then, in my opinion, there is no way option E could be the answer.

If you could elaborate how the meaning you mentioned fits in the argument, then it would be more effective to discuss further.

I did not intend to convey that (E) is the correct answer based on my reasoning. My concern is that (E) cannot be the answer. (E) doesn't fit in the argument.

How is one supposed to infer authors intention that "incidence" is used in the sense "bout"?
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

I did not intend to convey that (E) is the correct answer based on my reasoning. My concern is that (E) cannot be the answer. (E) doesn't fit in the argument.

How is one supposed to infer authors intention that "incidence" is used in the sense "bout"?

One Person may have multiple bouts or episodes of depression. The author considers each of such bout or episode one incidence. I do not see any problem with such interpretation. Taking SSRI reduces the number of bouts/ episodes (i.e., incidences) is a correct inference.

What I understand is that you are suggesting that the number of incidences refer to the number of people who get depression, i.e. even if one person gets depression repeatedly, his case would be considered one single incidence of depression. I am not sure whether this interpretation (in medical terms) is correct, but in context of this particular question, this is not the intended meaning of the author.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Only E is logical, Though i was perplexed by those complex terminology. I went through POE.
Other options are either definite or Extreme.
Only E shows a probable chance.
Hence, I opted E.
:D .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
+1 for option E. The vocabulary is tricky but the inference is best mentioned in option E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Why option C is wrong? I was confused with E because in argument its mentioned that the treatment was successful for many people. But in E is it some people.
Please clarify my doubt
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mallya12 wrote:
Why option C is wrong? I was confused with E because in argument its mentioned that the treatment was successful for many people. But in E is it some people.
Please clarify my doubt

Let's address C first.

There are at least two reasons why (C) is wrong.

One is that a person who has normal uptake could become a person who has abnormal uptake. So, if abnormal uptake of serotonin is somehow a factor contributing to a person's experiencing depression, then a person who has normal uptake today could tomorrow have abnormal uptake and become a depressed person.

The second is that the passage says that the treatment described has been effective for "many people." It does not say that the treatment is effective for all people. So, the passage does not indicate that regulating uptake of serotonin makes all depressed people not depressed. Therefore, the passage clearly does not indicate that all people whose serotonin uptake is normal will not become depressed. Rather, what the passage says leaves open the possibility that people can be depressed regardless of serotonin levels.

Regarding (E), correctly answering critical reasoning questions is not a word matching game. It's a logic game, and, logically, "many people" is "some people." So, (E) fits what the passage says.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts