Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 662 [25]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth wa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom of the earth being flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support to sail westward to Asia and to endure several rejections; he finally secured
here the sentence seems to suggest the Columbus pressed tirelessly in order to endure several rejections. I doubt that he wanted to do so. :)

D) Christopher Columbus not only refused to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, endured several rejections, and he finally secured
unidiomatic. 'Not only' is present but missing 'but also': Not only A but also B

E) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus's effort was tireless in pressing for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia; he endured several rejections before the securing of
the sentence seems to suggest that effort was refusing the accept conventional wisdom. Christopher Columbus's can't act as antecedent due to being in possessive form(another peculiarity of GMAT)

A and B are both correct grammatically. A is concise.

Go with A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 662 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
I originally chose Answer B. What makes Choice A more Concise than B?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [7]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
@gmatpunjabi
choice b is wrong because
1) refusing to accept and pressing tirelessly was happening together showing simultaneity of action or a continuous action..so A is better than B
2) enduring several rejections(option A) is verb+ ing modifier or present participle which is modifying the action happening( i.e pressed tirelessly) and showing the result.
hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink]
Kudos
Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, enduring several rejections before securing approval and financing from Spain's King Ferdinand in 1492.

A) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, enduring several rejections before securing

I could not say whether this option is correct or there is any minor flaw in it. So kept at bay.

B)Christopher Columbus refused to accept the conventional wisdom of the earth being flat; he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia and endured several rejections, finally securing
This is incorrect for 2 reasons
1. usage of being. Earth was flat is a theory which is not true for certain period. so Incorrect meaning.
2. He did not endure rejections resulting in approval. He endure them until he got approval.

C) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom of the earth being flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support to sail westward to Asia and to endure several rejections; he finally secured
1. usage of being repeats here from option B. Earth was flat is a theory which is not true for certain period. so Incorrect meaning.
2. Columbus did not press for royal support to endure rejections. Meaning error.

D) Christopher Columbus not only refused to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, endured several rejections, and he finally secured
1. incorrect usage of idiom not only...but also.
2. pressing, enduring and securing are not consecutive events.

E) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus's effort was tireless in pressing for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia; he endured several rejections before the securing of
It was Columbus not his effort who refused to accept wisdom.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink]
gmatpunjabi wrote:
Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, enduring several rejections before securing approval and financing from Spain's King Ferdinand in 1492.

A) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, enduring several rejections before securing

B)Christopher Columbus refused to accept the conventional wisdom of the earth being flat; he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia and endured several rejections, finally securing

A) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, enduring several rejections before securing - Correct

B)Christopher Columbus refused to accept the conventional wisdom of the earth being flat; he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia and endured several rejections, finally securing - Wrong: 1) Distorts meaning 2) "being" makes it passive.

C) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom of the earth being flat, Christopher Columbus pressed tirelessly for royal support to sail westward to Asia and to endure several rejections; he finally secured - Wrong: 1) Distorts meaning 2) "being" makes it passive 3) Idiom: Correct idiom is "support for".

D) Christopher Columbus not only refused to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia, endured several rejections, and he finally secured - Wrong: 1) "not only" is not followed by "but also". 2) Not parallel

E) Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus's effort was tireless in pressing for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia; he endured several rejections before the securing of - Wrong: 1) Modifier issue 2) Use of complex gerund "the securing of" instead of preferred present participle "securing". (
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink]
in B] What is wrong in saying 'earth being flat'

Also in the 2nd clause-
''he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia and endured several rejections, finally securing..... ''

can we say 'ing verbal i.e 'securing' is expressing the outcome of the actions done in previous line?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:

Also in the 2nd clause-
''he pressed tirelessly for royal support for a westward voyage to Asia and endured several rejections, finally securing..... ''

can we say 'ing verbal i.e 'securing' is expressing the outcome of the actions done in previous line?

Hello Anshul1223333,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option B is not exactly incorrect, rather the use of "being" is simply unnecessary, leading to awkwardness and redundancy; remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

To understand the use of "Being" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:

In the construction preposition + NOUN + __ing..., the "__ing..." part is just modifying the NOUN. Therefore, this kind of modifier is incorrect unless the intended significance in context is actually "prep + NOUN".

If, instead, the intention is to refer to the entire action of the NOUN doing the "__ing", a different kind of modifier will be needed instead.
that + [complete sentence is often a workable modifier of this type, but, remember, you should just check out the alternatives in the answer choices.

e.g.,
I've never heard of a person biting a dog —> INCORRECT
(it's not any 'person' that's unfamiliar to me; it's the whole idea that a human would bite a dog)

I've never heard that a person has bitten a dog —> Works.
I've never heard of an instance in which a person has bitten a dog —> Works, because the object of the preposition is now "an instance" which in turn is described by the entire following clause.

Please note that you cannot just automatically reject the original prepositional phrase construction here. If the intended modifier in context is just the prepositional phrase, then that construction can be just fine.
e.g.,
I took some photos of a person loitering near my car. —> Works.
(I really did take photos of a person.)

In choice B here, "of the earth being flat" is analogous to the first example, "of a person biting a dog". (The old 'conventional wisdom' isn't of the earth; it was the entire idea that the earth is flat.)

Therefore choice B does not work.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:

__ING modifiers adopt the same timeframe as the clause to which they're attached. Therefore, this type of modifier could only describe a consequence or outcome of the preceding clause if that consequence/outcome is INSTANTANEOUS—so that it really does, in fact, occur in the same timeframe as the actions/events that caused it.

e.g., The lightbulb crashed into the ground, shattering immediately upon impact. —> This sentence works, because "IMMEDIATELY" tells us that shattering happens at exactly the same time as the lightbulb crashed into the ground.

Choice B does NOT work like this: Columbus secured royal approval and financing LATER, AFTER enduring multiple rejections. This "__ing" modifier is not in the same timeframe as the clause, so it's used incorrectly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Deeply impressed with your reasoning :)

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Anshul1223333 wrote:

In the construction preposition + NOUN + __ing..., the "__ing..." part is just modifying the NOUN. Therefore, this kind of modifier is incorrect unless the intended significance in context is actually "prep + NOUN".

If, instead, the intention is to refer to the entire action of the NOUN doing the "__ing", a different kind of modifier will be needed instead.
that + [complete sentence is often a workable modifier of this type, but, remember, you should just check out the alternatives in the answer choices.

e.g.,
I've never heard of a person biting a dog —> INCORRECT
(it's not any 'person' that's unfamiliar to me; it's the whole idea that a human would bite a dog)

I've never heard that a person has bitten a dog —> Works.
I've never heard of an instance in which a person has bitten a dog —> Works, because the object of the preposition is now "an instance" which in turn is described by the entire following clause.

Please note that you cannot just automatically reject the original prepositional phrase construction here. If the intended modifier in context is just the prepositional phrase, then that construction can be just fine.
e.g.,
I took some photos of a person loitering near my car. —> Works.
(I really did take photos of a person.)

In choice B here, "of the earth being flat" is analogous to the first example, "of a person biting a dog". (The old 'conventional wisdom' isn't of the earth; it was the entire idea that the earth is flat.)

Therefore choice B does not work.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts