GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Reporter: The municipal department spends

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Reporter: The municipal department spends  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 07:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:27) correct 30% (01:42) wrong based on 54 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Reporter: The municipal department spends a lot of money on the construction of concrete roads. It is difficult to fathom, however, the department’s choice to build concrete roads when it can easily lay cheaper roads using permeable materials. Therefore, a petition should be written to the government to stop using concrete and to start using permeable paving materials for the construction of roads, considering that___________.

Which of the following most logically completes the paragraph?

A. the process of laying roads with concrete is not dissimilar to that of laying roads using permeable paving materials

B. other states have been using similar permeable materials to construct their roads

C. the price the government has to pay for maintaining roads in good condition is less for roads paved using permeable paving materials versus roads paved with concrete

D. petitions are given a serious and fair consideration by the government

E. concrete as a laying material is not better than permeable materials used for laying
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Reporter: The municipal department spends  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 07:43
I selected E as an answer because it makes me believe that concrete is not better in terms of durability and since PMT is less expensive and equally or more durable, it should be used for construction
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 07:49
advikaggarwal wrote:
I selected E as an answer because it makes me believe that concrete is not better in terms of durability and since PMT is less expensive and equally or more durable, it should be used for construction

Here the context is that the price is high for concrete so govt use other material

so the use of word ' considering ' in last must address this concern.

Anything which says about the cost redcution should fit in here

Option C talks the same.

hope it helps

Posted from my mobile device

Ankit
GMAT is tough so I am ...
Giving Kudos is the best way to encourage and appreciate people

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 08:14
kumarankit01 wrote:
advikaggarwal wrote:

Here the context is that the price is high for concrete so govt use other material

Option C talks the same.

hope it helps

Thanks.

Is there some material available on how to tackle questions based on completing the passage?
I am constantly getting them wrong.

In this question as well, even in my pre-thinking I thought that an answer that addresses the durability issue should be correct and I ended up selecting E.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Feb 2019, 13:00
advikaggarwal wrote:

Option E is a tricky choice; nevertheless, it's wrong.

The key to solving CR questions is to understand the context of the passage. In this question, the author has based its argument on cost consideration for the ways to construct roads. The author simply favors a more cheaper way. That's all! Quality or any other aspect is out of context.

Therefore, any option that makes us believe that the cheaper way to construct roads is by using permeable paving material than by using concrete will logically complete the paragraph by supporting the author's argument.

Option C clearly suggests that using permeable paving material is not only a cheaper option to the lay the roads but also a cheaper option to maintain the roads. As this option is in the context of the discussion and supports the author, it's correct.

Option E states that concrete as a laying material is not a better than permeable materials, it's is not clear in what sense it's not better. So to assume that it's not better in quality, and therefore in cost will be wrong. In CR question, we must work only with the information given to us.

All the other options are irrelevant, so they are wrong.

If my solution has helped, kindly give me Kudos

If my post was helpful, kindly contribute a Kudos.

Originally posted by iamsiddharthkapoor on 23 Feb 2019, 08:34.
Last edited by iamsiddharthkapoor on 23 Feb 2019, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 08:43
advikaggarwal wrote:
kumarankit01 wrote:
advikaggarwal wrote:

Option C talks the same.

hope it helps

Thanks.

Is there some material available on how to tackle questions based on completing the passage?
I am constantly getting them wrong.

In this question as well, even in my pre-thinking I thought that an answer that addresses the durability issue should be correct and I ended up selecting E.

Such questions do not have unique requirements to solve them. As with any other CR question, you need to take care of the following things:

1. Stick to the context of the passage. For example, the context of this question is cost consideration, and not durability or quality or smoothness.
2. Understand the question well to fulfill its requirement. For example, we need to find an option the supports the authors argument.

In general, such questions are either Strengthen type or Weaken type, but this is not always true.

If my solution has helped, kindly give me Kudos.

If my post was helpful, kindly contribute a Kudos.

GMAT Club Bot
Reporter: The municipal department spends   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2019, 08:43

Reporter: The municipal department spends

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap