GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 12:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended s

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 10:57
the pattern of this question is already tested in another SC: ..."one of their problems had been..., engineers...."
the difference is here, "its" is correct
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 11:02
karlfurt wrote:
Professor wrote:
karlfurt wrote:
I ve still trouble with this 2 years old post!

I agree with the tense, but my problem concerns "its".
Normally the pronoun IT refers to non-humans and HE, to human beings.

Thus, i didn't choose A, but E, which is wrong.

Can someone please explain me why ITS instead of HIS, is correct?
Many thanks

you are correct. "the seven stor retailor" is not a person rather its a retail company name.

Thanks, Professor. But....

Hereby the correct CR, (E) contains THEIR instead of ITS(see below). But it doesn't change much what I want to point out.

Assuming that retailer is a company name, I think it is still not correct.
I've replaced retailer with a famous brand, and it sounds strange. In that case, should (E) not be the best of the worse answers?

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, COCA-COLA said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.
(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent

in the second clause, "retailer said IT would...", then A is the correct answer. I missed this point too.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 20:52
Sameer wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent

A. Correct.
B. The "slump" was not "recently extended"; it was "recent."
C. "Is" implies that the situation did not start in the past and continue to the present.
D. "Their" should be "its."
E. "Their" should be "its."
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 10:34
I got this wrong, I picked up 'C' earlier. Would like to know if there's additional explanation is available. Thanks.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:34
A is correct - Past perfect 'had been' indicates action prior to the simple past said; and recent modifies extended sales slump

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 14:26
I also think here that when you say "one of its many problems" you are referring to problems in plural, which means that we can rule out all the "is" answers. As a result, there is only A and E left. Their is not a correct reference to one company so A is the answer.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 07:14
Here are my two cents on the problem

Though initially I went for B but after analyzing briefly,I got to know my mistakes.

The clue to the right answer choice is the word recent. We know that a participle phrase can either work as a noun or as an adjective.Now In answer choice A if we consider the word extended sales slump then we find out that extended works as an adjective that modifies the noun sales slump.But when you take them together then extended sales slump actually works as a noun.So we need an adjective recent to modify it.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Oct 2017, 13:05
*** please delete this post ***

Originally posted by chaudhurysr on 24 Oct 2017, 12:59.
Last edited by chaudhurysr on 24 Oct 2017, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 13:03
techiesam wrote:
Here are my two cents on the problem

Though initially I went for B but after analyzing briefly,I got to know my mistakes.

The clue to the right answer choice is the word recent. We know that a participle phrase can either work as a noun or as an adjective.Now In answer choice A if we consider the word extended sales slump then we find out that extended works as an adjective that modifies the noun sales slump.But when you take them together then extended sales slump actually works as a noun.So we need an adjective recent to modify it.

I think people are struggling because they are not familiar with the concept of "extended sale slump". Hence they are unable to figure out that this term is to be treated as noun. "recently extended" sale slump also makes sense... as it refers to a sale slump that recently got extended. So how does one really makes out whether it should be "recent" or "recently"?

In this particular problem, through POE we can determine this.

Note that the 2nd event i.e. "Seven-Store retailer said" is in the past tense... which means the problem due to extended sale slump (i.e. the 1st event) either:
1. ended before the seven-store said, (which would mean Past Perfect) or
2. was continuing at the time the seven-store said (which would mean Past Continuous).

Either way, 1st event is in the past, not present. So, B (has been), C (is) and D (is) gets eliminated. Because we are now left with only A and E, and both mentions "recent", we can conclude that the problem statement intended to refer the "extended sale slump" as a noun. Also, since both A and E have "had been", we know now that the 1st event ended before the 2nd event happened.

So all ambiguity got resolved till this point. The only choice left now is between "its" and "theirs". Seven-store retailer is singular, so "its" in the right option.

A is the correct answer.
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended s   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2017, 13:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended s

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap