Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
CRACKGMATNUT wrote:
What if in option A we had simple past tense WAS. Will this option still be correct?

Reporting that one of its many problems WAS the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

I am not able to understand why we require sequencing of event in this question.

Past perfect isn’t just used to depict sequencing; another usage of Past perfect is to depict an event/action that started in the past and continued up till another event/action in the past.

Here, the sales slump started at some point in the past, and clearly continued to be a problem at the time of reporting (by the retailer). Hence, the usage of had been is correct.
'
p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended [#permalink]
The grammatical reasoning for why A is better than B is flimsy at best.

A condition that is present perfect can have caused me to say something in the past. For instance, "Sales have been poor, which is why the CEO said we need to change strategies." The poor sales started in the past and continues to today. But recognition of the poor and addressing the poor sales could have been addressed in the past as well. And saying something is a one time action it happens and it ends. It is not a condition.

From a business logic point of view, if a sales slump in women's apparel had been happening, it means that it was started and ended in the past. So then, the slump is over. So why is there still a need to liquidate? The problem is over. You adapt and carry on; you don't throw in the towel.

Sometimes as GMAT instructors, we have to have the courage to call it out when GMAC writes a bad question. This is such a case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Quick question: If a sentence has "said" in it, can you never combine it with a present perfect tense?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
The grammatical reasoning for why A is better than B is flimsy at best.

B: Reporting that one of its many problems has been the sales slump
Here, the usage of the present perfect (has been) suggests that the slump continues into the present.
For this reason, a reader will assume that the retailer is reporting -- in the PRESENT -- about a sales slump that is still happening.

B: Reporting one of its many problems, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month sale.
Generally, an introductory VERBing modifier conveys an action concurrent with the main verb.
Here, the main verb (said) is in the past.
For this reason, a reader will assume that the retailer was reporting -- in the PAST -- at the same time as it said (also in the past).

Whereas the blue wording implies that the reporting happens in the PRESENT, the red wording implies that it happens in the PAST.
The result is confusion.
Since A avoids this confusion, eliminate B and pick A.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatimothy wrote:
GMATNinja

Quick question: If a sentence has "said" in it, can you never combine it with a present perfect tense?

Ooooh, I wouldn't go that far! The present perfect doesn't work in this context (see choice B). Does that mean that you should quickly eliminate any sentence with "said" and a present perfect tense verb? I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

As we say all the time, GMAT SC isn't about inventing a list of grammar rules that you can blindly apply to future problems. In fact, the GMAT is really good at punishing us for thinking too mechanically. If you try to reduce this (hard) test into something it's not, you'll have a tough time getting better at the hard stuff (thinking about meaning and logic).

To be fair, I think I see where you're going with this. Can you ever have "[subject] + said" in the main clause preceded by an opening "-ing" modifier with a present perfect verb? For example:

"Running what has been the most successful catheter company of the 21st century, the CEO said that she owes it all to her high school physics teacher."

Is something like this wrong? I don't think so. It's certainly not as bad as (B) (see this post for more on that). And I definitely wouldn't eliminate it immediately -- I would think "meh, that's not great", and move on to other decision points. If another answer choice is better, great. If there isn't a better option, I could live with that sentence as written -- again, it's not WRONG, exactly.

Luckily, on the GMAT, you'll never have to analyze a single sentence in a vacuum. Instead, your job is to select the BEST answer choice out of the five available options. In the "Reporting..." question, the verb tense in (A) makes a lot more sense than the verb tense in (B), so (A) is the better option.

I hope that helps a bit!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Attempting this question 2nd time and somehow I still missed the "said" in 2nd part of the sentence.Badddd! :x
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
egmat you have mentioned that you cannot use past perfect for 2 unrelated events so here how are we using past perfect when said is totally unrelated to the slump? WHen the slump happened it was not known that retailer will report it later? KarishmaB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 369
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
Sameer wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent

(B) its many problems has been the recently

(C) its many problems is the recently

(D) their many problems is the recent

(E) their many problems had been the recent

Show Spoilernytimes article
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/09/business/cohoes-stores-in-bankruptcy.html

Reporting that one problem had been the recent, extended sales slump in women's apparel, the five-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale next week in its flagship store in Cohoes, just north of Albany, and in the East Windsor, Conn., branch store. Its three other stores - in Rochester; Cranston, R.I., and Princeton, N.J. - have already closed.

Hi AndrewN IanStewart
I don't understand the past perfect in this question. if "one of it many problems had been the recent" was a past event and it was completed before the next event of "said", then recent extended sales slump was no longer the problem because it had been the problem before saying. So, going by this logic it wouldn't make sense to say that sales plump was the reason for the liquidation. Can you tell me where am I going wrong??
GMATNinja @aviigautam MartyTargetTestPrep

I feel your pain on this one. I suppose you could argue that even if the recent slump is no longer a problem, it still could have prompted action to preempt a similar problem in the future. But it's hard to see how this kind of reasoning would be terribly helpful in a different question with a different context.

So here's a better takeaway: before you get in the weeds and grapple with the subtle nuances, get rid of the concrete stuff first! Here, as others have noted, you can kill (D) and (E) right away because the plural "their" can 't refer to the singular "retailer."

But notice that now we have a choice between "recent" and "recently." "Recent" is an adjective, and seems to be describing the "slump." Makes sense -- it's a recent slump, as opposed to one that happened a long time ago.

But "recently" is an adverb, so it can't be describing the noun "slump." So what's it doing here? Describing the modifier "extended?" That doesn't make sense. The slump is either happening or not. Nobody recently extended the slump the way someone might, say, extend a deadline. Because "recently" is a concrete error, we can kill (B) and (C), and this leaves us with (A).

If we rely on definitive errors to start, there's no need to agonize over the use of the past perfect here.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Would it be fair to say that understanding the term "sales slump" (a period of decreased sales in a business) is vital for eliminating (B) and (C)?
The phrase "recently extended sales slump" seems to suggest that someone deliberately prolonged the sales slump, which is illogical.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SlowTortoise wrote:
GMATNinja

Would it be fair to say that understanding the term "sales slump" (a period of decreased sales in a business) is vital for eliminating (B) and (C)?

The phrase "recently extended sales slump" seems to suggest that someone deliberately prolonged the sales slump, which is illogical.

Yes, it helps to think about what "sales slump" means -- and then to think about whether "recently extended sales slump" makes sense, as explained in this post.

But the verb tense is also a problem in (B), as discussed in our original explanation, so you have a couple solid votes against (B).

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Send PM
Elite097 wrote:
egmat you have mentioned that you cannot use past perfect for 2 unrelated events so here how are we using past perfect when said is totally unrelated to the slump? WHen the slump happened it was not known that retailer will report it later? KarishmaB

GMATNinja KarishmaB EducationAisle
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

GMATNinja KarishmaB EducationAisle

Past perfect is used to give the sequence of two events - if there is a sequence to them. If both events happened at an unknown time in the past, we cannot use past perfect. I do not know what you mean by related and hence I cannot address that.

Past perfect does make sense here. Look at the main clause:

... the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

We use "would" to show something someone wanted to do in the past. So the slump would have been a problem before a point in the past. This is the point when the retailer expressed its intention to start the 3 month liquidation sale. The slump was a problem before this point in the past. Hence use of past perfect is fine.
Of course the recent vs recently distinction is enough to get to the answer in this question. It has to be "recent extended slump," not "recently extended slump" because recently implies someone intentionally extended the slump period recently. But that makes no sense. The slump is recent and the slump is extended (lasting a long time).
Director
Director
Send PM
KarishmaB so are you saying the relation is between slump happening in the past and "would" and not between "said" and slump happening?

By unrelated i mean that the two event have noting to do with each other even though one happened before the other . Ex. The builder constructed the building and told the tourists about its features.
Now here the action of telling has nothing to do with construction of the building although construction happened before telling. It is an example to put in perpective
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts