Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 26 May 2017, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

12 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 140 [12] , given: 0

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2003, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2273 [2] , given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cmpunk1990 wrote:
Correct me if i'm wrong.

But the reason why i chose A for this Question :

The singular pronoun "its" correctly refers to singular subject "Retailer". "their" is plural , hence we can eliminate D,E
"Recently " is an adverb and cannot modify noun "slump" . Eliminate B, C.

Now my question is would the following sent be correct :
Reporting that one of its many problems "has" been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

is it necessary to have the "had been" structure in the following sentence.?

The verb "had been" is within a statement ("said") that happened in the past. This implies that the verb "had been" occurred prior to another verb in the past "said". Hence past perfect is mandatory.

For example:

1. I say that I was happy, but I will be sad.... correct
2. I said that I had been happy, but I would be sad.. correct
3. I said that I was happy, but I will be sad... wrong

Whenever a verb is within a statement in past, we need to take the verb one step back, i.e. simple past would become past perfect, future (will) would become conditional tense (would).
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 23:54
Sameer wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent.
Use of Past Perfect Tense HAD BEEN is correctly used. Sales slump happened prior to the announcement (Verb " SAID") ,

Second thing Recent vs Recently- Recently," which modifies the adjective "extended." Here recently means that retailer (the Subject) would knowingly extend a sales slump which is not making any sense. Hence Recent should be used which is modifying Slump. Eliminate B & C
third Thing - Its vs Their. Subject here is singular i.e. Retailer and hence Its is correct. Eliminate D & E

It’s not over until I say it’s over

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 2273 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 11:15
nycgirl212 wrote:
I incorrectly chose B. Still confused about how A is correct, how am I supposed to assume that "extended sales slump" is a noun phrase? I assumed that "extended" was an adjective modifying "sales slump" (noun), thus "recently" (adverb) was appropriate.

You are absolutely correct - "recent" and "recently" are both correct. Adjective "recent" refers to the noun "slump" and adverb "recently" refers to the adjective "extended", and both make sense in this context. One cannot eliminate an answer on this basis.

The elimination is on the basis of verb tense (has been/ had been/ is) and pronoun number (its / their).

The post below explains the verb tense issue:
reporting-that-one-of-its-many-problems-had-been-the-recent-147856-140.html#p1668074
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 165

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 22:00
Its vs theirs help eliminate D and E.

The meaning of the sentence in tenses: Something started in the past, completed and then led to another event. Two events in the past. IN such case, the first event requires a "had".

When there are two past actions in the statement, the first action that occurred requires the word "had".

Option A

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 2273 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 06:41
triparna wrote:
Hi ,
in the below question , can u please tell me why should it be answer 'A' and not 'B'. The sales problem is a recent one and its effect is obviously still existing which is why the company has started the liquidation sale. So, shouldn't it be 'has been' instead of 'had been' ?
Also had been is used when there are 2 actions in the past. But here the action takes place in the present.

QUESTION-

The part "one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel" is within a statement of the retailer. The statement hapened in the past ("said"). Hence "had been" is past of past and thus past perfect is correct.

In general, note that if an event occurs in the past and is mentioned within a statement that occured in the past, then the event should generally be in past perfect tense because it occured before that statement.

I said that he had gone there before.

(On the other Hand, a future event within a statement in past should be depicted by "would": I said that he would come.)
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 12:16
Saw the below clear response by ManhattanGMAT Staff. Thought I should repost it. Because the answers here weren't very clear for me on why it should be "had" and not "has". See original thread here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... -t763.html

***********************************************************************************************************************************
The perfect tenses, though used infrequently on the GMAT, often induce this type of confusion. Remember, the present perfect is used when an event began at some time in the past and continues to the present moment, while the past perfect indicates a completed past event that happened before a second completed past event. In the cited example, the verb "said" in the non-underlined section of the sentence is a past tense verb. In order to indicate that the sales slump occurred prior to this past announcement, the past perfect tense is necessary.

A second approach would have been to focus on the recent/recently split. It is nonsensical that a retailer would INTENTIONALLY extend a sales slump. However, this is exactly what is suggested by the adverb "recently," which modifies the adjective "extended." The sentence should instead include the adjective "recent," which correctly describes the slump. Thus, answer choices B and C are eliminated. From there, the its/their pronoun split is relatively straightforward. Since the subject of the sentence is the singular "retailer," the singular pronoun "its" is correct.

The credited response is A.

-dan

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

~audentes fortuna juvat~

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
S
Followers: 2288

Kudos [?]: 15127 [0], given: 224

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 05:41
Sameer wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Quote:
Please explain how come 'recent' is correct in modifying an adverb and not 'recently'

Also is 'has' more appropriate here than 'had' since if the problem is ended then liquidation is happening because the problem is presently being a problem not in the past

"recent" is modifying "extended sales slump", that is, a kind of sales slump. Basically, it is modifying "slump" i.e. a noun. So you will use an adjective.

Look at the skeleton of the sentence:

Reporting that ..., the seven-store retailer said ...

The main verb is "said" which is in past tense. Hence, the extended sales slump had been a problem before they reported it. So the use of past perfect is appropriate here. You will use "had".

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
saurav: suman
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 153

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 10:38
Sameer wrote:

(A) Correct its many problems had been the recent
its is the antecedent of the sevenstores retaliers. verb had beeb is correctly establishing the sequence.
(B) Incorrect its many problems has been the recently
Has been present participle wrong verb tense

(C) Incorrect its many problems is the recently
same as B verb tense
(D) Incorrect their many problems is the recent
Same as C and pronoun error
(E) Incorrect their many problems had been the recent
pronoun error
hence A correct

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 08:54

well yes i would have choosen B because the usage of had been in the first sentence,while that will make sense the 'extended sales slump' is a noun which cannot be recently because the recent cannot modify the 'extended sales slump' so B goes out. same is the reason for C.
Option D and E has subject verb agreemtn issue and are out.

A is the best choice even if had been is used.
1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
G
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi, Need help -
isn't it true that When ever you use reporting that .. should follow a present tense ?

One of the reasons to chose A.

In reporting sentences, we should avoid mixing conditional tense with present tense. The second part of the statement uses "would".

If you want to report something about future in the past tense, you use "would".

If you want to report something about future in the present tense, you use "will".

The teacher believed (past) that the student would (future in past) score high marks.

The teacher believes (present) that the student will (future) score high marks.

many problems had been (Past Tense) the recent extended sales slump , the seven-store retailer said it would (conditional tense)
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 19:18
Merged topics. Please, search before posting question!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 93

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 20:09

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
B
Status: "Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and it will be opened for you.
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 179

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 23:44
IMO A
The split in the sentence is the use of recent and recently .
Recent is an adjective which modifies extended sales whereas recently is an adverb which modifies the whole sentence here (i.e having problems ).
Also we have had / is / has split but logically we should use has to indicate sequence of actions.
Option A removes these two ambiguity hence it is the answer
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent   [#permalink] 04 May 2017, 23:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ]