GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 11:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Request a Profile Evaluation (please?)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Request a Profile Evaluation (please?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jul 2018, 18:22
Would really appreciate a profile evaluation.

Profile:
29 M, Indian.
7 years WE
GMAT - 700, 49Q/36V
Undergrad: Bachelor of computer applications, West Bengal University of Technology
GPA: 9.14/10

My target schools:
1. Kellogg - MMM - [Reason - Locationa and Dual Degree]
2. WP Carey - [Reason - Good fit and scholarship]
3. Insead, Singapore - [1 Year program in a booming economy]
4. Rice - [Good scholarships, good fit]
5. Booth - [data driven programs, flexible]
6. UCLA - [Location, good fit]
8. Tuck - [consulting, scholarship]
9. MIT - [good fit, and can relate to the MIT way of thinking]
10. Harvard - [case method, network]

Work Experience: Cisco Systems, IBM, HCL, Tech Mahindra. 1 Page Resume Attached

I am in a dilemma whether my extracurriculars give me a fighting chance, or to apply next year with an improved GMAT score.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

What makes your profile unique?
Quote:
A desire to learn anything even remotely interesting.
Equestrian training, Scuba Diving, Photography, Canyoneering - and I wouldn't be happy by just dipping my toes-in, there must be a significant learning for me to be satisfied.

I've traveled extensively across multiple Asian countries, gone on to become a certified PADI Master Scuba Diver, and am the President and Founder of an NGO called Indian Divers Association (IDA) which promotes underwater exploration and marine conservation.

I was serving as the Vice-President (till Jan-2018) of an NGO-society called Indian Canyoneers Association, was a certified level 3 Canyoneer - and gone on to explore and document multiple technical canyoneeing routes around Indian Western and Eastern Ghats. Among other discoveries, I was one of the three members to originally discover the Golora caves which is still known to less than 10 people in the world.

Further, I'm the founder of Aspiring Photographers Academy, which conducts advanced workshops in photography for over 200 people in different cities at varying skill levels - some of my students are now professional photographers. All my students have now formed a network, and support and improve each other by critiquing each other's work. On a related note, I also started Furry-Stories pet photography studio as a side business.
I am also a marine photographer for IDA, trying to freeze the essence of the ocean for the masses to see.

I have worked actively with multiple NGOs, but have been very active at a particular no-kill animal shelter in Bengaluru called Maruthy Dog Shelter.
Raised money via multiple rounds of funding organized by leveraging the network
of photography students, canyoneers and scuba divers; followed by periodic volunteering events to develop proper infrastructures at the shelter.
Further, on behalf of Furry studios, I did an adoption project with the shelter puppies by taking professional in-studio photographs of potential adoptees.

Originally posted by dragonborn2 on 27 Jul 2018, 08:42.
Last edited by dragonborn2 on 27 Jul 2018, 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Request a Profile Evaluation (please?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 11:21
Hi raj55555,

Thank you for your post. If you're interested in the schools you've listed, then you will definitely need to retake the GMAT and significantly improve your score. Unfortunately, the only school on here at which you'd have a chance with a 700 is Arizona State (Carey).

I think you'd benefit from furthering your understanding of what kind of chances certain GMAT scores give you with different programs. Applying as an Indian male with an IT background, you will typically want to target at least 30 or 40 points higher than a given school's average. Indian applicants with a 700 GMAT score have around a 2% acceptance rate to the top 20 programs in the U.S., which is extremely low.

And that's just to align (or neutralize) your GMAT score. You then need to win the application battle, with specific and coherent career goals, superb essays and recommendations, a deep understanding of each program, a specific articulation of school fit and how you'd contribute, a unique and compelling story, great interviews, and so on and so forth. You can read more here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

[You listed, for example, the possibility of a scholarship at Tuck. Tuck is unfortunately out of reach for you from an admissions standpoint right now, let alone from a scholarship standpoint. Again, I think the only program you've listed at which you have a reasonable chance is Carey.]

I apologize for the bluntness of my response, but you should absolutely read the following two links in detail to calibrate your expectations:

The Indian Male MBA Application Guide

MBA Admission Chances for Indian Applicants (Top 50 U.S. Programs)

Keep your head up and work hard to meaningfully improve your score!

Thanks,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 18:21
AvantiPrep wrote:
Hi raj55555,

Thank you for your post. If you're interested in the schools you've listed, then you will definitely need to retake the GMAT and significantly improve your score. Unfortunately, the only school on here at which you'd have a chance with a 700 is Arizona State (Carey).

I think you'd benefit from furthering your understanding of what kind of chances certain GMAT scores give you with different programs. Applying as an Indian male with an IT background, you will typically want to target at least 30 or 40 points higher than a given school's average. Indian applicants with a 700 GMAT score have around a 2% acceptance rate to the top 20 programs in the U.S., which is extremely low.

And that's just to align (or neutralize) your GMAT score. You then need to win the application battle, with specific and coherent career goals, superb essays and recommendations, a deep understanding of each program, a specific articulation of school fit and how you'd contribute, a unique and compelling story, great interviews, and so on and so forth. You can read more here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

[You listed, for example, the possibility of a scholarship at Tuck. Tuck is unfortunately out of reach for you from an admissions standpoint right now, let alone from a scholarship standpoint. Again, I think the only program you've listed at which you have a reasonable chance is Carey.]

I apologize for the bluntness of my response, but you should absolutely read the following two links in detail to calibrate your expectations:

The Indian Male MBA Application Guide

MBA Admission Chances for Indian Applicants (Top 50 U.S. Programs)

Keep your head up and work hard to meaningfully improve your score!

Thanks,
Greg

This is excellent Greg, and just what I needed to set my expectations right. I cannot thank you enough!
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 17:14
Thank you, raj55555. I appreciate the kind words. Best of luck to you. Please let me know if I can ever be of any assistance -- whether with school selection or your essays, resume, and applications!

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Request a Profile Evaluation (please?)   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 17:14

Request a Profile Evaluation (please?)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep