GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kindly evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Kindly evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 13:10
Hello there!

I will be applying to colleges along the East Coast (due to personal preferences) in Round-1 this year. Currently, I am targeting HBS, Wharton, MIT Sloan and Columbia Business Schools (after Early decision round). Additionally, I am also keen to apply in Insead (Sept 2019) as I believe it to be a good fit for me, from my interaction with alumni and former colleagues (though it will be disadvantageous for my personal life).

Although, I have been thinking about MBA since the beginning of the year, I am just starting my applications and your feedback will truly help me, especially since my GMAT score (710 Q50, V36, IR8) is lower than average of all the schools I am targeting.

I apologize in advance, if some of the details below are trivial from a profile evaluation or MBA perspective.

Profile:

o Indian Female, 29 Years, IIT graduate (Bachelors and Masters of Science), CGPA 8.44/10
o +5 years in Oil and Gas Technical Consulting Business of one of the two largest oil and gas service providers in the world
o Travel to Middle East, Africa, South Asia for Projects and work with a multi-cultural/diverse and highly experienced team and clients (NOCs and IOCs)
o Followed unconventional career path in my company-Directly moved into consulting (where average experience +10 years), overcame stereotypes of being 'too young' for advising clients on multi-million dollar projects, integrate with and drive team of multi-domain experts (not an easy task, but believe me I am a team player!) and help my company take decisions to invest in assets (Oil and Gas, hence capital intensive-each project is about ~100M)
o Generate consulting leads and pull through opportunities for other technologies through my technical expertise
o Top 5% appraisal rating (4/5 years), Internal Excellence and Performance Recognition Awards
o Passionate about my work, hence present/publish for conferences at US, Europe and Asia
o Extra-Acads:
-In college, I was primarily focused on organizing (marketing, sales and event management)- Placement Committee Member, Annual Cultural Fest;
-Intra College Swimming competitions (nothing high level);
-Social Impact internship to learn and contribute towards sustainability and profitability;
-People interest me, I spent 3 months after graduation and before starting my job (on campus placement) as recruiter finding the right candidates for start ups;
-Currently, coaching and mentoring (My expertise is niche and valued, hence active in my technical community to train/mentor young professionals);

My MBA Goals:
I am passionate about the energy sector. The ideology of my current organization is to promote from within, the current CEO started as a field engineer somewhere on North Sea! Although, I am involved in business development, sales and peer management, for my career growth it is inevitable that I move into purely management driven roles.
However, having survived the downturn and adapting continuously to non stop transitions in highly competitive environment, I truly believe for oil and gas business to remain profitable, the solution has to be sustainable. Employee and process management, its efficiency is a bottleneck. I do not wish to be molded into current management style of my organization. I want the right education (especially management, leadership, policy and some analytics), peer interaction and learning from other industries to eventually come back to energy sector in a global position of a large IOC. My short term goal is to start with general business consulting, leverage my existing know how on dealing with clients and learn from diverse exposure that business consulting firms provide.

Thanks and best regards,
Maggie
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Kindly evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 18:02
Hi Maggie,

Thank you very much for your post. It sounds like you've had some great professional experience to date. Your client work, international experience, and combination of "technical" and "interpersonal" skills read quite well. With proper delivery in your resume, essays, and recommendations, your work experience should be a strength.

I don't love your intended short-term goal. "General consulting" is super crowded (and generic) and would not take advantage of your depth in the energy space. I like the sustainability element, and based on what I observe, I'd rather see you develop that career angle. You can read more about how specific your career goals should be here.

Your school list feels too concentrated toward the top of the rankings. HBS is a long shot for pretty much anyone and the other three you've listed are very, very difficult programs. (MIT Sloan has the third-lowest acceptance rate in the U.S.) Do you plan to re-take the GMAT? A 740 would meaningfully improve your standing over a 710.

Even if you retake the exam and achieve a higher score, I'd encourage you to diversify your target list. You've got nothing but "hard" schools right now. I'd encourage you to research programs throughout the top 20/25, as that would help you build toward having a mix of reach, reach/aligned, and aligned programs in your strategy.

[Your post-college extracurriculars also look limited. I would consider that a softer point in your profile. Perhaps it's tough to get involved if you travel often?]

I do believe a conversation would be most beneficial. I'd be happy to help you think through your profile, story, career goals, and school selection process in greater detail. You can sign up for a Free Consultation here: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html. Hope we have the opportunity chat!

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

Re: Kindly evaluate my profile &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 18:02

Kindly evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap