GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 22:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Request for Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.85
Premium Member CAT Tests
Request for Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 14:46
Hi, Would love to get your thoughts on my profile.

Background:
29, Male and Indian. Grew up in Thailand (primary to high school), completed my undergraduate degree in UK, and my graduate degree in USA.

I will be 30 years old when I start next year in Fall.

Academics:
730 GMAT

Undergraduate: Imperial College London
GPA Equivalent: 3.8/3.9+?? (First class Honors)
Major: Chemical Engineering

Graduate: Duke University
GPA: 3.9
Major: Masters in Statistical and Economic Modeling

Work Exp:
After Undergraduate Degree:
- ~2 years - Fortune 200 company as a Project Development Engineer. Basically leading engineering proposals and bid presentations for customers to build turn-key plants by working with a team of business development, project management and engineering resources. A good balance of technical and business focus. Quit to go get my graduate degree.

During Graduate Degree (focus was on using data for energy policy work):
- Worked for an international organization (think World Bank, UN etc.) as a research assistant to scope out the benefits to the South Asia region for free trade of electricity. Turned into a whitepaper.
- Work with a large US Goverment organization to build a series of tools to better benchmark energy efficiency of factories (similar to the energy star benchmark). Published a paper.
- Started a social enterprise to build portable solar power for street vendors in urban slums. Lead a team of 4 to raise capital through social enterprise competitions and build a prototype to test the idea.

After Graduate School:
- working as a Data Scientist, leading implementation of AI/Machine Learning solutions for clients
- 1.5 years - Work as a data scientist in a Big 4 consulting firm. Working on actual AI projects for major Fortune 500 clients.
- 1.5 years and continuing - Moved to the center of excellence of another Big 4 consulting firm. Joined as a senior and promoted to manager in 1 year.

Extra curriculars:
More during undergrad (leadership positions for social enterprise club and cultural club). Some since, but not in leadership positions.

Goal:
To build skills in other business areas (finance, and strategy especially). Short-term: Join the digital/analytics arm of MBBs. Long-term: be a principal/director of product management for an AI/analytics focused tech company (e.g. Google Cloud, Tableau, NVIDIA etc.).

Target Schools:
HSW, MIT Sloan, Kellogg, Chicago

Thanks! Please do let me know how realistic/unrealistic the goals are. I am also concerned about my age, and I will be retaking the GMAT.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 22:05
Thank you for your post (and apologies for the delayed reply as I was off getting married!).

Between the universities on your resume, your international experience, professional experience, and scores, there is a lot to like about your profile foundation. The kicker is that you arguably can’t come up with a more challenging list of schools, so there will be no sure things in a strategy like this.

Given your goals and the fact that you already have a relevant masters and work experience, I’d encourage you to be super detailed and specific about why you also now need an MBA. That’s critical for everyone, of course, but I’d say it’s especially so in your case, along with “why now”. I encourage to take a deep dive into this post: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

If you’re going to be eight years removed from undergrad at enrollment, then you will be about a year above the middle 80% range at most of these schools. That’s worth keeping in mind, but if you are deep and effective with respect to why MBA and why now, you can execute against it (though at HBS and Stanford — both major reaches for almost any applicant — you would be bidding to get in about twice as removed from undergrad as their average student, which is really hard.)

Your current GMAT score is solid for these schools. No bonus points with it, so if you felt like you had another 20 points up your sleeve, I won’t argue with your inclination toward retaking it. (As an aside, where geographically have you been working? If India, then you’re in more of a “must retake” situation if you want to entertain this caliber of schools. And I would encourage you to more significantly broaden your targets... which is still worth considering no matter where you work... depending on your preferences and perceived ROI of course. You might also look at Kellogg’s 1Y offering, which be a better fit, address some of the aforementioned concerns, and help you diversify within the schools that you’ve listed.)

Hope this helps! Please feel free to email me at greg@avantiprep.com for further follow-up.

Best Regards,
Greg
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2019, 22:05

Request for Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep