Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Request to Evaluate ESR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi aj42442,

First off, nice job on the 700! That being said, I see that you want to improve your score, so I’m happy to provide some feedback on your current score. Let’s start with verbal.

Since you scored in the 57th percentile in Reading Comprehension, it’s clear that RC dragged down your verbal score. When you are incorrectly answering Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you do not truly understand what you have just read, right? So, you likely have to slow down in order to understand what you are reading and (eventually) speed up. In other words, you have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use it to arrive at correct answers. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component to understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you’re taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between these trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.

Now, regarding quant, although a Q47 is a pretty great quant score, you should look to bring up your quant score by a few points. Although your ESR indicates that you are weakest in Geometry and Equalities/Inequalities/Algebra, you must be careful not to over-infer based on that data, since you are looking at a sample size of only 31 questions.

So, to improve your quant skills between now and your retake, engage in focused practice so you can find weaknesses and fill in knowledge gaps. For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Please reach out with any further questions.

Let’s do this!!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aj42442,

I am sorry that your scores were not in line with your expectations. Since you have used our course, I would request you to write to us at support@e-gmat.comwith your registered email id so that we can look at your Scholaranium and course dashboard to give you precise inputs.

Looking forward to your email.

Regards,
Aditee
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Request to Evaluate ESR [#permalink]
Hello All

I gave last gmat on 18th sept 2018 and scored 570 .then i registered egmat and gave another yesterday and could score 580 only.I really donot know what went wrong.My verbal score decreased from V29 to V28 this time.even in quant i scored 42 only.I marked last qsn but could not submit it before time ran out.Did it affect? I donot know why i am not able to score in exam .I gave Mgmat test and scored 660 .I can solve tough questions of gmatclub easily too. Donot know what happens in exam.I am attaching both esrs .Please evaluate and let me know which areas to focus on.Is there any fun of giving exam again as most colleges deadlines are ending?I am ready to study one more month and give exam,but i do not know what to study now.And will it be beneficial if i have to apply this year itself.Please look into this.I shall be highly thankful.

I havecompleted OGS 2018,2017,2016 Approx 600 qsns of SC,500 qsns of CR,250 qsns of RC.
In quant i have solved mgmat,og and jamboree material.
Have solved approx 600-700 question of 700+level.
Do not know what to do now.Please guide.
DavidTutorexamPAL EMPOWERgmatRichC ScottTargetTestPrep
Attachments

MANAV GUPTA_340514880_ESR_18sept.pdf [488.34 KiB]
Downloaded 35 times

MANAV GUPTA_345119728_ESR_20dec.pdf [492.99 KiB]
Downloaded 35 times

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vanam53923,

I’m sorry to hear about how things went with your GMAT. Before providing specific advice regarding your ESR, I’d like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

2) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

6) What is your GMAT goal score?

Once I learn more about you, I can provide some detailed advice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Manav,

I've sent you a PM with some ESR notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi vanam53923,
ScottTargetTestPrep
Please see my replies below:

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).
Last time i took 4 gmat tests from mba.com exam 1 and 2 and 2 times after resetting,this time i gave one free cat of Mgmat only.Scored 660 (v36,q44)

2) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months?
Per day on average i have studied 6 hours.Weekends i use to study 10-12 hours.
In last 3 months i have finished egmat verbal,ogs(compilation of egmat),verbal review(compilation of egmat)
For quant : mgmat all 700 +qsns,jamboree material,ogs

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?
This thing i have no idea.I want to apply to one of top 100 colleges of world.

I am ready to take it with in a month

5) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?
6 hours a day i can study .
720+
Once I learn more about you, I can provide some detailed advice.

Please guide
ScottTargetTestPrep
Please see my replies below:

Last time i took 4 gmat tests from mba.com exam 1 and 2 and 2 times after resetting,this time i gave one free cat of Mgmat only.Scored 660 (v36,q44)

Per day on average i have studied 6 hours.Weekends i use to study 10-12 hours.
In last 3 months i have finished egmat verbal,ogs(compilation of egmat),verbal review(compilation of egmat)
For quant : mgmat all 700 +qsns,jamboree material,ogs

This thing i have no idea.I want to apply to one of top 100 colleges of world.

I am ready to take it with in a month

6 hours a day i can study .
720+
GMAT Club Bot