It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Research during the past several decades on the nature of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Finance, Operations
Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2013, 11:35
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Sankey,

Actually A and issue

Here it is in full with the areas highlighted:

Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

'produce' lacks a subject. We need to say something like 'produce it'.

THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION. BUT I STILL HAVE ONE DOUBT:

WHY THE OPTION C IS CORRECT. ISN'T THE ANTECEDENT OF "WHICH" IN OPTION C IS AMBIGUOUS HERE?? "WHICH" COULD REFER BACK TO "nature of language"OR " the processes" OR BOTH.

SECOND, CAN'T WE SAY "IT" AFTER "MAKE" IS ACTING AS A SUBJECT FOR BOTH "PRODUCE" AND "MAKE" .
HENCE WHY OPTION A IS NOT CORRECT

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2013, 16:13
Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

it is 3-2 spilt.
Research is singular so has is correct
between A and C - C has pronoun error. "it" does not have clear noun. it could be language or process. logically it refers to language but grammatically it refers to process.

So A.

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2013, 02:50
MANHATTAN GMAT informs in SC book that "instead of" is not an appropriate usage. Could someone explain me, that is right or not?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 229 [1], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2013, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
singh_satya wrote:

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

B,D and E are out because the subject is Research(singular) so it requires a singular verb 'has'. Now A and C has a difference in meaning.

C :Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity.

Does the processes produce and understand the language. No.

Notice the subtle usage of understandable and understood in A and C.

The process make it understandable , not understand it themselves. A wins.

Kudos [?]: 229 [1], given: 12

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2013, 18:44
espa wrote:
MANHATTAN GMAT informs in SC book that "instead of" is not an appropriate usage. Could someone explain me, that is right or not?

That's not always the case. it is a recommendation when you have insufficient time and hopefully that's not the case when you are in here :)

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 42

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 18:40
C,D, and E are out because of "by which" that is conveying a non-essential clause when a essential clause is needed. B has no intro to the clause following "processes"; thus, it has to be A. I did pick B but recognized my mistake...

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 42

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2013, 20:16
I think the problem with C is that 'it' might refer to the 'nature of language' or 'language', we are not sure. On any other day I would have rejected A because of 'instead of' but it's the only one that seems lesser of the devils. ;-)

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 291

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q48 V17
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 10:02
A it is.

The "research" is singular, so 'has' should be used instead of 'have'.
Now,we are left with A and C.There is no issue with A, but in C passive voice is used unnecessarily.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 38

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2014, 11:44
Choice A-Correctly has 'that' referring to the process.....and has 'has' referring to the research.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 38

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 22:08
Though tough, A is the direct answer.
Other choices change the meaning:
Processes that make it understandable and processes by which it is understood are not the same thing.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 18:58
First thing to notice is the Subject verb agreement. Research is the subject, which is singular and we have a split of have and has as the verb. Anything which has Research HAVE is wrong, so B, D, and E are out.

Between A and C, I find A to be more straight forward and active voice as compared to C which is passive voice. So I am going with A as the answer.

singh_satya wrote:

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 76

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 08:59

Choice A.
Research......... on the ...... the processes that produce and make it(the language) understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.
This statement is grammatically and meaningwise correct.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 03:35
syamee_u wrote:
singh_satya wrote:

A or C.
Explain plz
Thanks
Satya

sorry ..

my choice :D 50 seconds

processes <by which it is produced and understood > + have should come. Not "HAS"

in this choice "it" is not correct in pronoun number as noun x and y. it should be them. however meaning also not correct

in this choice "it" is not correct in pronoun number

singular verb "has" not matching with plural subject processes

awkward.

comments PLZ.

Has is correct because "Research" has revealed.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 02:56
Justified explanation here http://www.beatthegmat.com/nature-of-la ... 91077.html

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 22:22
My Approach to solve this problem is as follows :

1. Pick an easy split : has/have which needs to agree in number with the Subject research which is singular. Hence has is the choice : Eliminate options B, D and E
2. Now in choice A and C, A uses the right tense for verbs "produce" & "understand", hence A wins

Time taken to solve the question : 1.18

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 378

Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 12:48
here in A that acts as an essential modifier of the noun processes..so it is the best option

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 378

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 09:42
Hi experts,
I didn't go through all the threads under this question,just the last three pages.I'm terribly sorry if I didn't notice that some other posts could help with my request.

Just want to confirm my POE
option B,D,and E are out for the s-v disagreement--Research...have.
Between A and C :
Even though I couldn't justify the usage of by which,C is out because "it" is not required.From my understanding,the research is on the nature of language and on the processes that produce and make (language)...It is the processes that produce something;hence "which it is produced" is incorrect.

Could you please confirm my reasoning?
And some explanations about "by which" would be really helpful

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3521 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 04:36
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,
I didn't go through all the threads under this question,just the last three pages.I'm terribly sorry if I didn't notice that some other posts could help with my request.

Just want to confirm my POE
option B,D,and E are out for the s-v disagreement--Research...have.
Between A and C :
Even though I couldn't justify the usage of by which,C is out because "it" is not required.From my understanding,the research is on the nature of language and on the processes that produce and make (language)...It is the processes that produce something;hence "which it is produced" is incorrect.

Could you please confirm my reasoning?
And some explanations about "by which" would be really helpful

The pronoun "it" is required in C and A alike to refer to "language". Option C is wrong because of 2 reasons:

1. A is more direct than C:

In "by which", "which" refers to processes. Therefore grammatically the construction is not wrong. However "..that (processes) produce and make it (language) understandable" is more direct than "by which (processes) it (language) is produced and understood" - the latter conveys a wrong meaning as well, as described in the next paragraph below. Moreover, "....reveal complexity instead of simplicity" is more direct than "...reveal not simplicity, but complexity".

2. C conveys wrong meaning:

A implies : Processes produce and make language understandable.
C implies: Language is produced and understood by processes... hence C wrongly indicates that the processes themselves understand the language, not that the processes make the language understandable (to humans).

Hence option C is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3521 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3521 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2017, 13:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kannu44 wrote:
Dear Mod could you please explain why C is wrong Could not find convincing answer.
Thanks

Research has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity: Though technically not incorrect (maintains parallelism between two nouns, "simplicity" and " complexity"), this usage is awkward. The negation "not" should ideally go with the verb, not the noun "simplicity". The correct construction is:

Research has not revealed underlying simplicity but has revealed great complexity. (parallelism between verbs)
OR
Research has not revealed underlying simplicity but great complexity. (It is alright to omit the repeated parts - even verbs - from the second element of a parallel structure.)

Further notes:
Such noun (or adjective) parallelism is alright with the verb to be (because in negation, correct construction is: verb to be + "not"), but not with other verbs (because in negation, correct construction is: "does not" + other verb, not other verb + "not")-

He is intelligent.
He is not intelligent.... correct.
He is not intelligent, but foolish...... correct.

He thinks fast.
he thinks not fast--- incorrect.
He things not fast, but slow.... incorrect.
He does not think fast, but thinks slow... correct.

Kudos [?]: 3521 [2], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 353

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 08:22
singh_satya wrote:

Hello mikemcgarry,

Could you please explain why Option A is preferred over Option "C" in above SC. I selected C because i found it simple and straight. Option C has idiom Not X But Y. Option C is not as wordy as option A.

Regards,
Ammu

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 353

Re: Research during the past several decades on the nature of   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2017, 08:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 122 posts ] 

Research during the past several decades on the nature of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap