GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 09:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make pe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make pe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 19:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:51) correct 40% (02:01) wrong based on 193 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminds that social media is what the users make it.

A) suggests that the use of social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminds
B) suggests that social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding
C) suggests that the use of social networking sites makes people happy and is used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding
D) suggests that the social networking sites make people happy, and if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, they remind
E) suggesting the use of social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make pe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 19:20
1st iteration
Quote:
Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminds that social media is what the users make it.

A) suggests that the use of social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminds
B) suggests that social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding
C) suggests that the use of social networking sites makes people happy and is used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding
D) suggests that the social networking sites make people happy, and if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, they remind
E) suggesting the use of social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding

2nd iteration
Quote:

3rd iteration
Quote:
B) suggests that social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding (It is the use of the website that makes people happy not the website.)

IMO answer is C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Re: Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make pe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 19:31
It's B. First of all, if clause doesn't have a noun, so it must borrow noun from the previous clause.

Here in A, "the use" is the noun of previous clause and hence, sentence is trying to convey that --- if the use is used properly. BS.

Eliminate C & E for the very same reason.

Between B&D, D makes an as pronoun they has no referant.

B wins

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 22:26
can we use If...rather than constructions?.. how do they work?
and is n't distinction used along with between? i.e, distinction between x and y
Intern
Intern
B
Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make pe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Sep 2019, 08:39
harsh8686 wrote:

IMO

In the given sentence there are two independent clauses divided by a comma. The first clause has research as noun and suggests as main verb and in the second sentence distinction is noun and reminds is verb. So instead of a verb we can make the second verb into a gerund "+ ing form".

E - has no main verb at all
D - they remind - who are they
C - we can't see the premise statement for contradictory word rather than, if clause in the given statement works better.
B- second clause is dependent clause and if clause is used. This must be the correct
A- second independent clause
"...the use of social..." "..if used to engage.." I felt like using " use " word two times is
redundancy.

B is the answer

Experts please correct me if i am wrong.. :(

daagh , Bunuel

Originally posted by vicky2019 on 18 Sep 2019, 07:52.
Last edited by vicky2019 on 18 Sep 2019, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 08:06
Top Contributor
vicky
Which is the anwer at all?
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 08:11
Why is A wrong, option B changes the meaning. It's the usage of social media which makes a person happy. Option B changes the meaning. Kindly explain

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 08:45
daagh wrote:
vicky
Which is the anwer at all?

I am sorry.. :facepalm_man:

I edited my previous post. Answer choice is B, I want to know whether my reasoning is correct or not. :)
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 09:06
Top Contributor
vicky

I didn't get your reasoning. You have said:
"B- second clause is dependent clause and if clause is used. This must be the correct'" ---Can u pl tell me, which is the second clause and whether what you call as if clause is indded a clause?

Hope you don't mind.
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 09:42
In B ,
Reminding is not parallel with suggest.
I my view B is wrong and A is correct Answer

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 21:27
Still not clear why "B" and not "A" is the answer :

B) suggests that social networking sites can make people happy if used to engage directly with other users, rather than just to check the attractive updates posted by others, a distinction in experience reminding.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make pe   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2019, 21:27

Research suggests that the use of social networking sites can make pe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics